63% of Americans Do Not Want Debt Ceiling Raised CBS News/New York Times

63% of Americans Do Not Want Debt Ceiling Raised CBS News/New York Times
Sadly, when the political class disagrees with everyone else, the political class wins. The Republicans will give in. Some of the tea party and libertarian Republicans will hold firm, but the mainstream will always support the status quo.

Last edited:

From the article:

"Sixty-seven percent of GOP voters and 51 percent of independents think raising the debt ceiling is a bad idea. Democratic voters, by comparison favored raising the debt ceiling by a 44 to 21 percent margin."

I think that clearly shows that Democratic voters are more educated on the subject.

Umm, how? If anything that shows how out of line elected Dems and Obama are with their own party... Not like this is the only issue that is true with.

But hey, if you use the old "we're more educated" argument, well then... I guess it makes it true?

Last edited:
Debt is debt is debt...

So please answer the question....what do we do if we deficit borrow and spend and it DOESNT work?

I can't think of a time when it didn't work. It worked with the Recovery Act, but not on the level we needed because the Recovery Act was too small.

850 Billion dollars was too small?
So how much do you suggest we borrow?

And when you say it worked.....please define "it working".

Are you saying that without the recovery act we NEVER would have shown any signs of recovery?

What do you base that assumption on? We have recovered from every recession within 2 years EXCEPT the one that we kept on trying to stimulate...and, of course, this one.

And before you use that one liner that the left politicians knew people like you would regurgitate....you know...."on the brink of a depression".....if we were on the brink of a depression, why did the markets INCREASE? WHy did we not have signs of soup lines forming? WHy did we not see men on the streets of NY wearing barrels for clothes?

You see.....politicians spin...on both the right and the left.....they spin so they can never look like they did the wrong thing.

Why do they spin? Becuase they know there will be people that believe it.

Wake up and smell the coffee....the recovery act was a total failure....any signs of recovery you see now are natural signs you see as ALL recessions recover...

Debt is debt is debt...

So please answer the question....what do we do if we deficit borrow and spend and it DOESNT work?

I can't think of a time when it didn't work. It worked with the Recovery Act, but not on the level we needed because the Recovery Act was too small.

850 Billion dollars was too small?
So how much do you suggest we borrow?

And when you say it worked.....please define "it working".

Are you saying that without the recovery act we NEVER would have shown any signs of recovery?

What do you base that assumption on? We have recovered from every recession within 2 years EXCEPT the one that we kept on trying to stimulate...and, of course, this one.

And before you use that one liner that the left politicians knew people like you would regurgitate....you know...."on the brink of a depression".....if we were on the brink of a depression, why did the markets INCREASE? WHy did we not have signs of soup lines forming? WHy did we not see men on the streets of NY wearing barrels for clothes?

You see.....politicians spin...on both the right and the left.....they spin so they can never look like they did the wrong thing.

Why do they spin? Becuase they know there will be people that believe it.

Wake up and smell the coffee....the recovery act was a total failure....any signs of recovery you see now are natural signs you see as ALL recessions recover...

The Recovery Act was a scam to funnel taxpayer $$$ to Wall Street, unions and Democrat voters.

From the article:

"Sixty-seven percent of GOP voters and 51 percent of independents think raising the debt ceiling is a bad idea. Democratic voters, by comparison favored raising the debt ceiling by a 44 to 21 percent margin."

I think that clearly shows that Democratic voters are more educated on the subject.

Umm, how? If anything that shows how out of line elected Dems and Obama are with their own party... Not like this is the only issue that is true with.

But hey, if you use the old "we're more educated" argument, well then... I guess it makes it true?

Yeah, they voted for Obama who has FAILED at every endeavor since 1/20/2009 and then they claim we're stupid while they blindly goosestep along.

And now he wants to raise Taxes during a Recession. He was against that before. Poor Hopey Changey sheep. It can't be easy spinning these kinds of shocking Flip-Flops.

well obama says the public isn't aware of the minutiae, so he sees that I am sure as a way as doe th rest to just ignore us, to anxiety a lot of folks aren't aware but is that really more or less than anything else?

I think they are aware more so than most other issues, but like children who need daddy to make the decisions for them, balk at losing anything yet at the same time want them cut.....*shrugs*

From the article:

Yeah, they voted for Obama who has FAILED at every endeavor since 1/20/2009 and then they claim we're stupid while they blindly goosestep along.

look at the history...

People said

"how can you befriend a man who was part of a violent anti government organization"....and his response was "I was 8 years old when he was doing that"...and his supporters would say....yeah, why should he be responsib;le for what another person did when he was 8 years old...".....so I guess my 20 year old who was 8 years old when OJ killed those two can befriend OJ now without any backlash.

People said to him "you asked for a trillion dollars and promised unemploiyment will not top 8%. You said 100 top economists were your advisers...yet it went to nearly 10%". His response..."I didnt realize how bad the economy was"...his supporters response? "yerah, Bush made it SO bad, even a trillion dollars did nothing to help.....no one asking him..."100 top economists and none of them knew how bad it was? Are you sure they are top economists? 100? ALL WRONG? REALLY??????????

and his supporters conitnue to regurgitate his spin without asking the real questions.

It became Obama's mess on January 20, 2009. He just hasn't manned up yet... nor will he ever in my opinion. He's a petulant child who always blames the other kid.

We threw a bucket of water on a bonfire, and you are shocked the fire is still going.

:clap2:

Why did you throw a bucket of water on a bonfire? Sounds pretty dumb... oh wait... never mind.

So your response is to be a dick? Ok. Good luck with that.

the DEMS had a majority in both houses....they could have passeds a 3 trillion dollar stimulus if they wanted to;

Are you not at all upset that they wasted a trillion dollars on a bucket of water as opposed to spending the necessary 3 trillion dollars on a pumper truck?

You still support the President who, according to you, did the wrong thing and wasted a trillion dollars..?

Or has he lost your support?

I like it when you answer your own questions.

I'll add to this one other thing. A company's number one priority is to make a profit. What is the number one priority of our Government? Hint: it's not to make a profit.

The fact that Public debt has much more serious consequences, how does that change the nature of the debt. You refuse to answer that.

You still have refused to answer what evidence you have that Democrats are more educated in the matter. Conveniently ignoring that are you?

You already answered that. The Government can print money and pay off the debt. A company can't do that. Yes, there would be consequences for the economy as a whole, but it is possible. It's an option. Plus, again, a government's main priority is not to make a profit. I notice you didn't answer my question about that.

Back to the Democrats being more educated on this matter, the poll showed that. The Dems understand the very real consequences while Republican voters don't seem to.

Americans Oppose Raising Debt Ceiling, 47% to 19%

In that poll, only 8% of Republican voters said to raise the ceiling while 70% said no. Clearly, they don't know that defaulting would hurt them directly.

It's an option?!?! It's only an option to complete morons who are ignorant of the devastating consequences to it.

Forgive me. I thought you actually wanted to fix the problem.

Aside from pure hubris, where is there any evidence that Democratic voters know more about this subject? Especially since they continue to vote in people who pretend we don't have to have any spending restraint whatsoever?

I'd say, if anythying, Democrat voters are fairly ignorant.

I also have to ask: is there any evidence, especially considering the last time the Debt ceiling was up for a vote, Democrats Opposed it?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjnN_J6wPmk]YouTube - ‪Obama Concedes Senate Vote Against Raising Debt Limit Was 'Political'‬‏[/ame]

And the votes:

All YEA votes were Republicans. All but 3 NAY votes were Democrats.

U.S. Senate: Legislation & Records Home > Votes > Roll Call Vote

Forum List

Back