63% of Americans Do Not Want Debt Ceiling Raised CBS News/New York Times

This Poll is funny in some ways. Some Democrats on this board are touting the fact most Democrats currently support raising the Debt Limit. And they're claiming this makes Democrats so much smarter than most Americans. Yet these same smart Democrats vehemently opposed raising Debt Limits in the past. In fact this current President used to love hopping up on his high-horse preaching about how awful raising the Debt Limit was. He then voted against it. So now the Democrats are cheerleading for raising Debt Limits? That doesn't make them smart. That just makes them dishonest hypocrites. They should actually be ashamed of themselves.

They just dont like the idea of fiscal discipline. It means they can steal less money for themselves.

Democrats would never do such a thing......

Newsmax/InsiderAdvantage Poll: Voters Don't Want Debt Ceiling Hike

During his press conference addressing the debt ceiling debate Obama said the American public isn’t paying attention to the ins and outs of this debate; essentially saying that the reason so many Americans don’t support allowing the government to raise the current debt limit from the $14 trillion, where it currently stands, is because they are ignorant. That was his response when asked why 63% of Americans side with the Republicans.

He then repeated the false statement that failure to grant to government the ability to continue spend astronomical amounts of money—amounts that I am convinced that the leftists on this board simply don’t comprehend—will inevitably lead to defaulting of America’s debt. This is absolutely not true, nor is it true that it is paramount to the sky falling. The deficit and the debt aren’t the same, and servicing the treasury bonds is completely possible without raising America’s credit limit.

Obama has said the word ‘crisis’ so many times that it has lost its meaning. The American public have seen the results of the stimulus act, and no one is buying that it saved us from some mythical catastrophe, and no one is buying these easy disprovable threats of dire consequences if the government is able to bury itself it debt that--if there is anything this debate has proven it is this-- Democrat lawmakers have no intention of ever reducing or addressing the deficit in many meaningful manner.

The media is baffled as to why Speaker of the House John Boehner is refusing to allow the raising of the debt ceiling, but it is obvious: because 63% of Americans understand the simple fact that if you have a credit card and are maxed out and in debt you do not need a higher credit limit or another credit card.

President Obama is losing this debate, and Boehner is not afraid of defaulting on debt because that is nothing more than propaganda reminiscent of the way this administration has operated the last two years.
Is this a CBS/NYTimes poll or a Newsmax poll?

Why did you throw a bucket of water on a bonfire? Sounds pretty dumb... oh wait... never mind.

So your response is to be a dick? Ok. Good luck with that.

the DEMS had a majority in both houses....they could have passeds a 3 trillion dollar stimulus if they wanted to;

Are you not at all upset that they wasted a trillion dollars on a bucket of water as opposed to spending the necessary 3 trillion dollars on a pumper truck?

You still support the President who, according to you, did the wrong thing and wasted a trillion dollars..?

Or has he lost your support?

**** crickets chirping *****

then prove it google....show me how we won't default if our debt ceiling is not raised by this august....let's see the numbers....

as far as raising it to the 18 trillion....for what period is their estimate on needing the extra 4 trillion? is it over 10 years? is it till 2012? 2016?

i agree the 18 trillion limit is not needed to settle what we have spent through august of this year....

but i also agree that the economic and market chaos would be less likely if the usa set a higher limit, where every three months they are not looking to raise the debt limit through nickle and diming it....our businesses would be on a roller coaster every few months or so, with no stability to look forward to....

as long as significant cuts are made to the future budgets, i'm ok in raising the debt ceiling....

our over spending the budget did not arise over night....it took 10 years to get us where we are running with deficit spending and it will take 10 years to get us back on track, at least! as the saying goes, it is so much easier to gain weight than to lose it.....same with budgets.

I see being irrational about this will ONLY HURT US MORE....and if we default on anything, it will hurt every single one of us, and every business out there.....and YES, I know this and believe this.

then prove it google....show me how we won't default if our debt ceiling is not raised by this august....let's see the numbers....
if I may; I have read that the gov. takes in enough revenue and can shift monies from other prgms projects etc. to cover the debt and interest payments due, a default is if I get this right when we actually don't cover those obligations.

what will happen apparently is if we go past august 2 we will have to start shuffling money around, maybe SS checks will be held up and other direct spends we make. And that of we believe that is really the drop dead date, it has been changed since feb. and I think we have hit this same 'drop dead' date in decades past and didn't default.
yes, they have done the two step shuffle and used pension funds to pay their bills and THAT is unacceptable to me....

this has the same effect on business as businesses worrying about whether their taxes will go up or not....we MUST give them some stability in gvt....as we had to extend the tax cuts for several years......

and anyway, i heard their shffling has run out, no more funds to steal from....but maybe you are right and they will find someone else to HURT and steal from, in order to pay the banks, and countries we borrowed from, our interest payments on the loans.

Having our credit rating lowered is THE WORST that can happen to us as a country, and most certainly, while in a recession....i am not willing to let this happen to us, nor should ANY OF YOU be willing to let this happen to us.

Raising the limit to cover what we have spent already, is the only ETHICAL thing to do.

This does not mean we do not need to cut our spending...we do need to cut our spending, but NOT in a willy nilly manner...it needs to be done with thought and with facts on how each cut will affect us down the road.

Perhaps a frozen debt limit is what we need. U.S. lawmakers would have to resolve to get our fiscal house in order. This would reassure investors about long-term U.S. economic prospects. Here's an opportunity for a "crisis" that "should not be wasted."

63% of Americans apparently believe that not raising the debt ceiling means that it will constrain further spending, which makes me believe that 63% of Americans are dumbasses.

The debt ceiling is for items we already bought, not for items to be bought in the future.

Not raising the debt ceiling is like eating the meal in the restaurant and walking out without paying the check.

So your response is to be a dick? Ok. Good luck with that.

the DEMS had a majority in both houses....they could have passeds a 3 trillion dollar stimulus if they wanted to;

Are you not at all upset that they wasted a trillion dollars on a bucket of water as opposed to spending the necessary 3 trillion dollars on a pumper truck?

You still support the President who, according to you, did the wrong thing and wasted a trillion dollars..?

Thats the part I dont get.

He asked us for permission to borrow and spend a trillion dollars and in return He made us a proimise based on the advice of the worlds top economists.
The promise wasnt kept...unemployment went to 10%
He said he did not keep his promise becuase he didnt realize how bad things were.
If his economists didnt realize how bad things were, then maybe THEY are a problem?

But thats what kills me...no one that supports Obama cared about the fact thet he either:

1) made a poor choice of advisers
2) didnt listen to his advisers

and instead...."it isnt HIS fault"

I just dont get it.

What a goofy fucking analogy... it isn't at all that way. Raising the debt ceiling is a tacit admission that we have to borrow money to keep going and completely ignore the FACT that we are spending WAY too much.

It has to stop.

Last edited:

He asked us for permission to borrow and spend a trillion dollars and in return He made us a proimise based on the advice of the worlds top economists.
He said he did not keep his promise becuase he didnt realize how bad things were.
If his economists didnt realize how bad things were, then maybe THEY are a problem?

But thats what kills me...no one that supports Obama cared about the fact thet he either:

I just dont get it.

At least the Bushbots had the balls to call Bush out when he fucked up... this crowd will never do that.

63% of Americans apparently believe that not raising the debt ceiling means that it will constrain further spending, which makes me believe that 63% of Americans are dumbasses.

The debt ceiling is for items we already bought, not for items to be bought in the future.

Not raising the debt ceiling is like eating the meal in the restaurant and walking out without paying the check.

Spin...

It includes future spending that is already down in the books as "will be spent"

I think you should be careful about calling people dumbasses...when you use spin to do it.

Spin...

It includes future spending that is already down in the books as "will be spent"

I think you should be careful about calling people dumbasses...when you use spin to do it.
Wrong.

I just dont get it.

At least the Bushbots had the balls to call Bush out when he fucked up... this crowd will never do that.

Bullshit.

Spin...

Wrong.
OK.
Believe what you wish.

But here is some basic logic for you...

Government doesnt spend a penny next year, and we will have no problem meeting our debt liabiulity with our revenue.

Now....work the math from there and maybe you will understand.

That's a blatant lie or just a large amount of naive going on. Conservatives supported Bush in large numbers, even when he was about to leave office.

Spin...

Wrong.
OK.
Believe what you wish.

But here is some basic logic for you...

Government doesnt spend a penny next year, and we will have no problem meeting our debt liabiulity with our revenue.

Now....work the math from there and maybe you will understand.

Don't you know that if you can't pay your credit card bills, you go get another credit card?

That's a blatant lie or just a large amount of naive going on. Conservatives supported Bush in large numbers, even when he was about to leave office.

No it isn't a lie. Some of us had, and duly voiced our opposition to Bush's profligate spending, the steel tariffs, the Medicare drug largess, the way Iraq was handled, John Ashcroft, etc.

Please.

Supporting a President is not the same as agreeing and supporting his policies.
I disagreed with the tax refund he gave people...I knew it wouldnt work and I said so to anyone I spoke with.....it was a typical p[olitical ploy...an attempt to leave office with a higher approval trating.

I disagreed with Tarp.

I disagreed with his amnesty ideas.

BUT...I admired his leadership. The man did not whine and cry...he didnt blame anyone...he didnt argue when people called him a liar...he didnt whine when Reid said "the war is lost"...

He let the buck stop with him.

He was not a great policy maker...he was a great leader.

I see Obama as not a great ploicy maker...and by no means a leader.

Yet he still gets the left touting him as the greatest.

No it isn't a lie. Some of us had, and duly voiced our opposition to Bush's profligate spending, the steel tariffs, the Medicare drug largess, the way Iraq was handled, John Ashcroft, etc.

Please.

Well you must have been very quiet then. Let's face the facts, if the so-called 'Small Government Conservatives' cared so much about our deficit then the Tea Party would have been huge before Obama took office. Reality check, it only really grew once a Dem was in office.

Furthermore, like I said, a wide majority of Conservatives still supported Bush when he left office. So I guess they didn't oppose his spending or policies that much.

President Obama is a lot more like Bush than the Conservatives who supported Bush care to admit.

Supporting a President is not the same as agreeing and supporting his policies.

Except they did. It showed in his approval rating numbers. You know what that is, right? When people say whether or not they approve a President and the policies he is enacting.

social cons liberal cons compassionate cons fiscal cons neo cons...who exactly?

Please.

Well you must have been very quiet then. Let's face the facts, if the so-called 'Small Government Conservatives' cared so much about our deficit then the Tea Party would have been huge before Obama took office. Reality check, it only really grew once a Dem was in office.

Furthermore, like I said, a wide majority of Conservatives still supported Bush when he left office. So I guess they didn't oppose his spending or policies that much.

President Obama is a lot more like Bush than the Conservatives who supported Bush care to admit.

It didn't help matters that the Dem was a colossal Marxist. Had he been a bit, just a bit less radical, I doubt the Tea Party would have taken off as it has.

Forum List

Back