60 Minutes: Unemployment at 17%

Just stating the facts. Blame whomever is convenient for you.

Ohh I blame all sides. Especially the people of the USA.
Ok.. Please explain.

That's easy to explain. That's how liberals think.

They are NEVER at fault for anything.

If they can't deny they are at fault, then "it's everyone's fault/they all do it."

If it really can't be denied it's all their fault and no one else's then it's really "the people's fault."

Think Jimmy Carter and his malaise speech. After two/three years of his disasterous policies and Democrat majorities they couldn't blame Republicans for the mess the country was in. So Carter blamed us!

Yes he did. The country was in a "malaise." The most powerful man in the world was whining that the country just wasn't cooperating with this wonderful policies and it was their fault, they were failing. The most powerful man in the world, turned out to be the biggest baby as well.

Well, we now have another baby in the Whitehouse and the mantra is filtering down to the usual paid and unpaid talking point extras. "It's really the people's fault and eeeeeeeeeeeevil corporations" that Obama's policies aren't working. That's why there is all this unemployment.

Why the people just don't know how good they have it, the ingrates! :eusa_snooty:

That's the talking point coming from liberals.

It's all over the map, because they are all over the map.

The only map they aren't on is the map that's going to matter come November 2, and that's the map of where the country went with their votes!

November is coming liberals!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The entire economy and the unemployment rate will do a complete reversal as soon as the Republicans are in power! Everyone knows this!!

Probably not, most republicans are Big Government liberals... The odds are, like you said that Republicans will do nothing different and the mess will only get worse.

Unless you really think we are going to get small government people in office and fix shit HA HAAA HAAA HAAAAAA.... nope...
Just the old guard RINO's most of them were dispatched in 2008.. Unfortunately Washington is loaded with too many bureaucrats. These people's only interest is to bog things down to a crawl. The goal is to maintain federal employment and protect manager's little fiefdoms.
I despise the methods by which government works. The whole thing is inefficient to the core. Budgets are claculated based on the percentage of budget spent in the previous FY...
SO let's sy the department of government nonsense has a budget of $100 for loose leaf paper. Toward the end of the FY one of the Dept of Nonsense underlings goes to his/her boss and informs him/her that the paper supply is more than adequte to last well into the next FY...The Manager exclaims... "Holy shit!!! We have to find a way to use up all the loose leaf paper by the end of the month or else we won't get any more loose leaf paper next year". So the underling says, hey, I'll have the staff make paper airplnes on one of our "downtime days"...."Perfect", the manager says.
Yes I am unsing an absurdity to make a point...This is indeed how government works. Sucks sideways...And we pay for this shit.
The most aglkling aspect of taxation is there are people on this board and out in the country, that think high taxes are the way to go. That wealth confiscated from those who earned it is better off in the hands of bureaucrats and greedy politicians.

That's another way of saying it's only semantics, when what it really means are LOTS OF PEOPLE OUT OF WORK!
But definitions are important. For example, a large part of the 17% are people WHO HAVE JOBS AND ARE NOT OUT OF WORK. And then, for people who don't have jobs, it makes a difference why they're not working. Is it really an economic crisis if people don't want jobs? And does counting people who say they want work, but aren't trying to work give an accurate or inaccurate view of how hard it is to get a job?

PEOPLE DON'T WANT JOBS?????????????? :lol::lol:

Is that the new talking point from liberals???????? :lol::lol:

You really think that's going to work????? :lol::lol:

Okay, you try that!

The real reason that unemployment is high is because PEOPLE DON'T REALLY WANT JOBS!

You run with that one. I want you to run with that one.

Please keep talking that one up!

November is coming!

U-6 unemployment:

As you can see, when Bush left office the U-6, the 'real', unemployment was about 14%.

So if you want to say they are lying about now, then they were lying about it then.

This! You can't have it both ways.
That would be lying.

What lying?

All through the Bush admin it hovered at around 10% and now it's almost to 20%

It's almost DOUBLE that of Bush two years into his first term!

And you think that helps Obama somehow?????

Yeah you run with that libs!

Be my guest!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

There was a time in America when a HS graduate could apply to a large manufacturing company, an automaker, a telecommunications company, a materials company such as steel, a machine shop, drafting company, etc and get a great job and support his or her family. Some could work a farm or on a farm in those days. That has changed. Why? Some will say we live in a global world and we have to compete in a global world. Imagine competing with the billion or so Indians and Chinese when American companies move work there. We used to be the largest manufacturer in the world, as well as exporter no longer.

The thing that struck me about the 60 minutes piece was these were educated people, some with Phds. But what can you do when work isn't there for everybody, it never was there for everybody, but today's global world makes it more obvious at all levels.

So look in a mirror and ask yourself how you help when you buy foreign, buy cheap, criticize unions, support businesses that outsource work, support work, and manufacturing, and then when asked ? why ? bring up the usual slogans about free markets and freedom and nirvana is just around the corner. Seems some never learn, this shill has been going on a long time.

How many will support tax increases similar what FDR did to turn the country around during the great depression? The taxes would rebuild the country as FDR, Truman, and Eisenhower did with roads and infrastructure. Few would, as that is how politicians survive, so as long as you vote vague notions such as reduced taxes without thought of the consequences then you all are the cause. And whatever you do don't look at the waste of of our war machine, that would mean you were weak.

re-post

Join me, please.

I was riding home today after a middle distance bicycle ride, tired and a bit out of shape when I started counting cars, America - foreign, American - foreign. It occurred to me if only a small percentage of these people, the people who can afford more than a used clunker, bought American there would be no problems in one of our largest industries today. And lots of people would have a job and lots of businesses would be OK. May even help those incompetent bankers.

So I started giving thumbs up for American and thumbs down for foreign. Hard to distinguish which foreign car is made here, but no need I am a bit of a hard core American when it comes to cars. My '55' Chevy was my first love.

I'm sure the people thought me spastic, as my left hand thumb pointed up, then down, then up as cars drove by. Did anyone figure it out I wondered. Who is this nut! So if the whiners who lost the election can out of the blue, protest taxes, can we not protest something that has been going on for years due to cheaper prices, support structures, and no pensions, but still is having an insidious affect on our industrial base?

So if you own foreign go to you nearest mirror and give yourself a thumbs down, and if you own American and thus support all of us and America, a thumbs up is due and thank you. Take to the streets and express yourself. The bankers thank you too.

Oh, and my bicycle(s) is made in America too.

Buy American - support all Americans, including yourself.
Sorry, I'm not Japanese, I buy American.
When the Japanese sell American cars, I'll buy theirs.
Our children, our grandchildren, ourselves require we support each other, buy American.
Didn't know you were Korean!
When the Japanese support my wife, kids, and I, I'll support them, until then I'll buy American.
Quality! our Buick is number one.
Buy American and Thumbs up!
Please put an American on the line, this is an American product.

"There is no historical evidence that tax cuts spur economic growth. The highest period of growth in U.S. history (1933-1973) also saw its highest tax rates on the rich: 70 to 91 percent. During this period, the general tax rate climbed as well, but it reached a plateau in 1969, and growth slowed down five years later. Almost all rich nations have higher general taxes than the U.S., and they are growing faster as well."

Tax cuts spur economic growth
The Idolatry of Ideology-Why Tax Cuts Hurt the Economy by Russ Beaton

"I’m fully aware that I risk excommunication from the Church of Economic Science when I argue exactly the opposite: Tax cuts actually hurt the economy. It isn’t just that they don’t help, or that they’re ineffective—THEY REALLY HURT!"
Not true. Read the following link:

U.S. Remains Largest Manufacturer in the World -- Seeking Alpha

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)

List of countries by exports - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ohh I blame all sides. Especially the people of the USA.
Ok.. Please explain.

If they can't deny they are at fault, then "it's everyone's fault/they all do it."

If it really can't be denied it's all their fault and no one else's then it's really "the people's fault."

Think Jimmy Carter and his malaise speech. After two/three years of his disasterous policies and Democrat majorities they couldn't blame Republicans for the mess the country was in. So Carter blamed us!

Yes he did. The country was in a "malaise." The most powerful man in the world was whining that the country just wasn't cooperating with this wonderful policies and it was their fault, they were failing. The most powerful man in the world, turned out to be the biggest baby as well.

Well, we now have another baby in the Whitehouse and the mantra is filtering down to the usual paid and unpaid talking point extras. "It's really the people's fault and eeeeeeeeeeeevil corporations" that Obama's policies aren't working. That's why there is all this unemployment.

Why the people just don't know how good they have it, the ingrates! :eusa_snooty:

The only map they aren't on is the map that's going to matter come November 2, and that's the map of where the country went with their votes!

ok. gotcha.. I believe it was the Chief economiuc advisor whose name escapes me during the first Bush admin( remember the recession 1989through 1991) that laid the blame on the backs of American consumers. He said words to the effect that we were to blame because we were hunkering down and saving our money rather then spending it.
Well, why would anyone with half a brain who knows that tommorrow could be his last day at his job go out and spend money on non-necessities?

The entire economy and the unemployment rate will do a complete reversal as soon as the Republicans are in power! Everyone knows this!!

Probably not, most republicans are Big Government liberals... The odds are, like you said that Republicans will do nothing different and the mess will only get worse.

Unless you really think we are going to get small government people in office and fix shit HA HAAA HAAA HAAAAAA.... nope...

That's the talking point from libs that Republicans will make no difference! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Shall we remind all of you of what happened the last time?

When projections were we were going to be in a recession AND a defict until 2000. Then Republicans won in 1994 and after they forced Clinton to cut capital gains we ended up with a surplus.

They told us then Republicans wouldn't make any difference. But Clinton ran on the successes Republicans forced on him (capital gains cut, welfare reform) in 1996!

You comfort yourselves that way liberals.

I have no doubt that Obama will do everything he can to try and stop any change to his disaterous policies.

How many Democrats who get the message and want to keep their job (by voting with Republicans as they had done in 95), we shall see.

It's going to be an interesting two years. Business as usual, it will NOT be.

Remember, in 1994 we didn't have the Tea Party! ;)

There was a time in America when a HS graduate could apply to a large manufacturing company, an automaker, a telecommunications company, a materials company such as steel, a machine shop, drafting company, etc and get a great job and support his or her family. Some could work a farm or on a farm in those days. That has changed. Why? Some will say we live in a global world and we have to compete in a global world. Imagine competing with the billion or so Indians and Chinese when American companies move work there. We used to be the largest manufacturer in the world, as well as exporter no longer.

The thing that struck me about the 60 minutes piece was these were educated people, some with Phds. But what can you do when work isn't there for everybody, it never was there for everybody, but today's global world makes it more obvious at all levels.

So look in a mirror and ask yourself how you help when you buy foreign, buy cheap, criticize unions, support businesses that outsource work, support work, and manufacturing, and then when asked ? why ? bring up the usual slogans about free markets and freedom and nirvana is just around the corner. Seems some never learn, this shill has been going on a long time.

How many will support tax increases similar what FDR did to turn the country around during the great depression? The taxes would rebuild the country as FDR, Truman, and Eisenhower did with roads and infrastructure. Few would, as that is how politicians survive, so as long as you vote vague notions such as reduced taxes without thought of the consequences then you all are the cause. And whatever you do don't look at the waste of of our war machine, that would mean you were weak.

re-post

Join me, please.

I was riding home today after a middle distance bicycle ride, tired and a bit out of shape when I started counting cars, America - foreign, American - foreign. It occurred to me if only a small percentage of these people, the people who can afford more than a used clunker, bought American there would be no problems in one of our largest industries today. And lots of people would have a job and lots of businesses would be OK. May even help those incompetent bankers.

So I started giving thumbs up for American and thumbs down for foreign. Hard to distinguish which foreign car is made here, but no need I am a bit of a hard core American when it comes to cars. My '55' Chevy was my first love.

I'm sure the people thought me spastic, as my left hand thumb pointed up, then down, then up as cars drove by. Did anyone figure it out I wondered. Who is this nut! So if the whiners who lost the election can out of the blue, protest taxes, can we not protest something that has been going on for years due to cheaper prices, support structures, and no pensions, but still is having an insidious affect on our industrial base?

So if you own foreign go to you nearest mirror and give yourself a thumbs down, and if you own American and thus support all of us and America, a thumbs up is due and thank you. Take to the streets and express yourself. The bankers thank you too.

Our children, our grandchildren, ourselves require we support each other, buy American.
When the Japanese support my wife, kids, and I, I'll support them, until then I'll buy American.

"There is no historical evidence that tax cuts spur economic growth. The highest period of growth in U.S. history (1933-1973) also saw its highest tax rates on the rich: 70 to 91 percent. During this period, the general tax rate climbed as well, but it reached a plateau in 1969, and growth slowed down five years later. Almost all rich nations have higher general taxes than the U.S., and they are growing faster as well."

"I’m fully aware that I risk excommunication from the Church of Economic Science when I argue exactly the opposite: Tax cuts actually hurt the economy. It isn’t just that they don’t help, or that they’re ineffective—THEY REALLY HURT!"

Yeah tax cuts hurt. That's why unemployment was so low during the Bush admin despite 9/11 and two wars. Tax cuts hurt.

The lie from the Democrats is, that's why things are bad now. The tax cuts and "two unfunded wars."

But the truth is Obama spent more in the first four months of his admin than Bush spent in Iraq in SEVEN YEARS.

I mean the numbers don't lie!

US Federal Deficit As Percent Of GDP

2001 -1.25
2002 1.48
2003 3.39
2004 3.48
2005 2.52
2006 1.85
2007 1.14
2008 3.18
2009 9.91
2010 10.64

US Federal Deficit As Percent Of GDP in United States 1900-2010 - Federal State Local

Now you take the highest number from Bush's admin, with even the lowest number from the Obama admin and even trying to be THAT complimentary to the Obama admin, Obama still has TRIPLED THE DEFICIT! TRIPLED!

This totaly blows up the lie that the Bush tax cuts and wars caused the deficit and economic problems we are in now. NO SORRY THE OBAMA SPENDING DID IT!

The Obama spending and his DISASTEROUS POLICIES that has so spooked business they are terrified to hire or expand in fear of what Obama will do next!

And then you wonder WHY the country is turning against Obama??????

As for your sentimental little meme about how things used to be.

Well goody! You used to be able to make a living making buggy whips too!

You can't anymore. Boo freaking hoo! The country has changed. The economy has changed and you can't put the genie back in the bottle. It's a global economy now, whether you like it or not. '

That's NOT going to change.

I find it so funny that liberals want to open our borders up to illegal aliens but close our borders when it comes to trade and busines.

At least trade and business IS LEGAL. You can't say the same for illegal aliens.

You can't close up the country to global trade. We tried that with the Smoot/Hawley Tarriff tax. Does the Great Depression ring a bell?

Most people will blame the Stock Market crash for the Great Depression, but any student of real history will tell you Smoot/Hawley is what really made the Great Depression the GREAT Depression. Not only in the US but in Europe as well.

It's a great example of unintended consequences of what everyone things is a bright idea.

If we tried to do the same with trade again, the Great Depression will see like the good old days. We don't have the manufacturing base we did in those days.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Perhaps if we bombed all the factories in Europe, China, and Japan, like we did from 1938-1945, we would enjoy the prosperity of the 50s and 60s once again.

I maintain that the 'golden age" of American manufacturing was a post-war bubble, simply because America was the only intact industrial economy.

We bombed Europe and China???? :eusa_eh:

Who needs to reread history?

Ok.. Please explain.

ok. gotcha.. I believe it was the Chief economiuc advisor whose name escapes me during the first Bush admin( remember the recession 1989through 1991) that laid the blame on the backs of American consumers. He said words to the effect that we were to blame because we were hunkering down and saving our money rather then spending it.
Well, why would anyone with half a brain who knows that tommorrow could be his last day at his job go out and spend money on non-necessities?

I don't remember such a comment from the Bush 41 admin (not saying it didn't happen, just saying I don't remember).

I sure do remember Carter's Malaise speech.

Big difference though for an economic chief to say something like that to a reporter, and the President to say something like that in an address to the country. A VERY BIG DIFFERENCE.

That's what Carter did in his malaise speech. ;)

But you are right. WHY WOULD anyone spend or invest money right now when you don't know if you will have your job tomorrow.

Everyone is hunkering down, because they don't know what will happen next.

You can't really expect economic robustness with Democrats in office. Obama is Jimmy Carter times 5. Democrates think using tax money to hire people to do public works projects is the way to get unemployment rate down and growth going again. They don't believe that unleashing the private sector by freeing it from taxes and government regulation is the only way to ignite an economy, and this is why America will not see any significant job creation while Obama remains in office.
Unleashing the private sector? The private sector is sitting on trillions of dollars in reserves, failing to borrow at the lowest rates seen in decades and pouring their excess reserves into -.55% paying treasuries.

re-post

Join me, please.

Your post is so dumb shit carbear retarded I couldn't help myself but let you know it.

FDR saved America... Yeah, to bad after 3 terms (12 years) he managed to die before the Great depression even came close to ending... Thank god the rest of the world was destroyed so that America could help rebuild it, for a price of course.

Maybe the globe will luck out again and WWIII will happen so Obama/Bush and the dem/rep liberal congress can be saved by that simple invisible free hand of the markets as the world demands products from the US again.

U-6 unemployment:

As you can see, when Bush left office the U-6, the 'real', unemployment was about 14%.

So if you want to say they are lying about now, then they were lying about it then.

13.7 and that was AFTER TARP.

Now it's up to almost 18%

Portal Seven | U6 Unemployment Rate

No matter how you slice it Carbiner, Obama is worse, whether you use the U6 or regular unemployment numbers.

What cracks me up is you desperately dim Democrats keep trying to run against and blame it all on Bush WHEN BUSH ISN'T ON THE BALLOT!

We aren't voting for Bush, we are voting for CONSERVATIVES that are going to get us about the clutches of Democrats who obviously don't care about the country's suffering, they only care about their power, perks and privileges.

We've had enough. Blaming it all on Bush isn't going to turn the tide coming on November 2.

You might as well stuff that in your pipe and smoke it!

::

How come you were always complaining about being broke during the Bush years?

(some of us have very good memories lololololololol)

Unleashing the private sector? The private sector is sitting on trillions of dollars in reserves, failing to borrow at the lowest rates seen in decades and pouring their excess reserves into -.55% paying treasuries.
You wonder why that is?

BECAUSE THE FED IS PRINTING THE FUCK OUT OF THE US DOLLAR, SCARING WORLD ECONOMISTS TO DEATH.

---

Coming to a theater near you...produced by Ben Bernanke:

zimbabwe_100_trillion_dollar_bill.jpg

Last edited:
U-6 unemployment:

chart

This! You can't have it both ways.
That would be lying.

Let me see if I have this right...

Bush and his congress (even 2 years of a dem congress) grows Government, war2, homeland security, education, Health care and so on... He does Bail outs and stimulus's as well...

Obama with 2 more years of a Dem congress does... Wait let me copy and paste what I did above... *paste* grows Government, war2, homeland security, education, Health care and so on... He does Bail outs and stimulus's as well...

So the real question is, can you prove Bush was a conservative and can you prove Obama and Bush are any different when it comes to policy.

Then the next issue that I know you hate but congress changed over to a super majority in 2006.

Now I know having a super majority means nothing and the president writes and passes laws all on his own but some would say otherwise.
So for the record, just so we are clear… You hate Bush for doing the exact same stuff Obama does but you approve of what Obama does?

So like YOU said, you can't have it both ways...

Buy American... Great idea. I am all for it. Find me some American made stuff and I'll buy it.

Our son is much worst than me when it comes to buying American, he shops around till he finds American made. Amazing we still make lots. But I agree with you in a sense. The reason cars are now made everywhere is cost, but both our American cars were made in America of mostly American parts. We are annoyed the new Regal is made in Germany and eventually will be made in Canada, they lost a sale.

But think if people spoke up when buying or supporting American made, no one wants import export wars, too much is made overseas to go back to the 40's and 50's.

How Americans Can Buy American

Made In Usa Bumper Sticker | Made In Usa Stickers | Made In Usa Decals | CafePress

MadeInUSA - Home- Recycling American Dollars Through Patriotic Spending
American Made Products Directory - Made in USA, United States Manufacturers
Made in USA, Made in America, US, American-Made
http://www.uaw.org/uawmade/index.cfm
Union Label

UNION BUILT PC - servers, desktops, training, software and web development
https://unionbuiltpc.com/netbook_ubu100.php

made in usa symbol - Ask.com Search

Last edited:
That's another way of saying it's only semantics, when what it really means are LOTS OF PEOPLE OUT OF WORK!
But definitions are important. For example, a large part of the 17% are people WHO HAVE JOBS AND ARE NOT OUT OF WORK. And then, for people who don't have jobs, it makes a difference why they're not working. Is it really an economic crisis if people don't want jobs? And does counting people who say they want work, but aren't trying to work give an accurate or inaccurate view of how hard it is to get a job?

PEOPLE DON'T WANT JOBS??????????????
Some people don't, and they aren't and shouldn't be included in the unemployment figures. That's one of the problems with using the U-4, U-5, or U-6 is that they include people who say they want jobs, but aren't actually trying to get jobs. So that becomes highly subjective...do they really want jobs? Most are honest, that they really want jobs, but they're still not doing anything about it, so they're useless for looking at the actual labor market as they only represent potential labor, not ready-to-go people who can't find work.

The real reason that unemployment is high is because PEOPLE DON'T REALLY WANT JOBS!
I said nothing of the sort. People are trying to boost up the UE numbers by including people who don't really want to work or are at least unwilling to look for work. The Liberals did it under Bush and now the Conservatives are doing it under Obama.

Forum List

Back