60 Minutes: Unemployment at 17%

This doesn't shock me at all. I have said all along that this Administration has been consistently lying about the real Unemployment Rate. There is no way it's at 9.6%. That's simply a lie. It has to be much much higher. Look for them to claim the Unemployment Rate has magically dropped right before the Elections on Nov. 2nd as well. It's time to wake up America. You're being lied to. Vote all D's out of office on Nov. 2nd.

And then, a post later, you get this idiocy.

The Stimulus could have been spent more wisely with regards to employment. A lot of it went to union wage jobs and benefits, when it could have went to non union wage job and benefits and created even more jobs. We do know why this went down the way it did, so I don't need to rehash it.

Are you test marketing a new conservative talking point?

...oh well...we would have supported the stimulus if it had just been tweaked a little bit...

lol

projecting again? You do know that you suck at it. :eusa_whistle:

It's exactly what you said.

U-6 unemployment:

chart

As you can see, when Bush left office the U-6, the 'real', unemployment was about 14%.

So if you want to say they are lying about now, then they were lying about it then.

last weekend i sat with excel and some formulas I wrote to figure out how many long-term, real wealth producing jobs I could create with 787 billion and it was simply staggering. its criminal that all that money went to bail out millionaires and focused most of the tax breaks to the already wealthy.

The least you could do is share what some of those jobs were that you "figured out".

Re-training scientists to flip hamburgers would be a start.....

Thanks.

And it is all Obama's fault?
No...it's whomever you wish it to be.
However, logic tells us the people curently in political leadership posts are those who make policy. So one may take a look in their direction.
Please tell us the democrats are not going to get a hall pass.

That's another way of saying it's only semantics, when what it really means are LOTS OF PEOPLE OUT OF WORK!
But definitions are important. For example, a large part of the 17% are people WHO HAVE JOBS AND ARE NOT OUT OF WORK. And then, for people who don't have jobs, it makes a difference why they're not working. Is it really an economic crisis if people don't want jobs? And does counting people who say they want work, but aren't trying to work give an accurate or inaccurate view of how hard it is to get a job?

last weekend i sat with excel and some formulas I wrote to figure out how many long-term, real wealth producing jobs I could create with 787 billion and it was simply staggering. its criminal that all that money went to bail out millionaires and focused most of the tax breaks to the already wealthy.

That is NOT where the stimulus went. The TARP went to the banks and most of that has been paid back in full. Bank of America was the first to return their loan. And the federal government people did not want it. The leadership wanted all the banks to keep the TARP funds. There was an alteriro motive on the part of Washington. That is if the banks kept the funds, the government would then have a say in the daily operations of those banks.

THe stimulus money is another story. Most of that funding was thrown down a rat hole.
Obama himself admitted there were no such thing as "shovel ready projects"...It would not surprise me if he tells us "my green jobs intitiative paid for with the stimulus package is not going to pan out until well into the future, if at all"...
There were some comunites that got millions of dollars in stim money that resulted in a few jobs created.
Of the $800 billion spent, the federal government could have written every working person and ever person actively looking for work a check for well over $6,000 each.

The entire economy and the unemployment rate will do a complete reversal as soon as the Republicans are in power! Everyone knows this!!

Probably not, most republicans are Big Government liberals... The odds are, like you said that Republicans will do nothing different and the mess will only get worse.

Unless you really think we are going to get small government people in office and fix shit HA HAAA HAAA HAAAAAA.... nope...

There was a time in America when a HS graduate could apply to a large manufacturing company, an automaker, a telecommunications company, a materials company such as steel, a machine shop, drafting company, etc and get a great job and support his or her family. Some could work a farm or on a farm in those days. That has changed. Why? Some will say we live in a global world and we have to compete in a global world. Imagine competing with the billion or so Indians and Chinese when American companies move work there. We used to be the largest manufacturer in the world, as well as exporter no longer.

The thing that struck me about the 60 minutes piece was these were educated people, some with Phds. But what can you do when work isn't there for everybody, it never was there for everybody, but today's global world makes it more obvious at all levels.

So look in a mirror and ask yourself how you help when you buy foreign, buy cheap, criticize unions, support businesses that outsource work, support work, and manufacturing, and then when asked ? why ? bring up the usual slogans about free markets and freedom and nirvana is just around the corner. Seems some never learn, this shill has been going on a long time.

How many will support tax increases similar what FDR did to turn the country around during the great depression? The taxes would rebuild the country as FDR, Truman, and Eisenhower did with roads and infrastructure. Few would, as that is how politicians survive, so as long as you vote vague notions such as reduced taxes without thought of the consequences then you all are the cause. And whatever you do don't look at the waste of of our war machine, that would mean you were weak.

re-post

Join me, please.

I was riding home today after a middle distance bicycle ride, tired and a bit out of shape when I started counting cars, America - foreign, American - foreign. It occurred to me if only a small percentage of these people, the people who can afford more than a used clunker, bought American there would be no problems in one of our largest industries today. And lots of people would have a job and lots of businesses would be OK. May even help those incompetent bankers.

So I started giving thumbs up for American and thumbs down for foreign. Hard to distinguish which foreign car is made here, but no need I am a bit of a hard core American when it comes to cars. My '55' Chevy was my first love.

I'm sure the people thought me spastic, as my left hand thumb pointed up, then down, then up as cars drove by. Did anyone figure it out I wondered. Who is this nut! So if the whiners who lost the election can out of the blue, protest taxes, can we not protest something that has been going on for years due to cheaper prices, support structures, and no pensions, but still is having an insidious affect on our industrial base?

So if you own foreign go to you nearest mirror and give yourself a thumbs down, and if you own American and thus support all of us and America, a thumbs up is due and thank you. Take to the streets and express yourself. The bankers thank you too.

Oh, and my bicycle(s) is made in America too.

Buy American - support all Americans, including yourself.
Sorry, I'm not Japanese, I buy American.
When the Japanese sell American cars, I'll buy theirs.
Our children, our grandchildren, ourselves require we support each other, buy American.
Didn't know you were Korean!
When the Japanese support my wife, kids, and I, I'll support them, until then I'll buy American.
Quality! our Buick is number one.
Buy American and Thumbs up!
Please put an American on the line, this is an American product.

"There is no historical evidence that tax cuts spur economic growth. The highest period of growth in U.S. history (1933-1973) also saw its highest tax rates on the rich: 70 to 91 percent. During this period, the general tax rate climbed as well, but it reached a plateau in 1969, and growth slowed down five years later. Almost all rich nations have higher general taxes than the U.S., and they are growing faster as well."

Tax cuts spur economic growth
The Idolatry of Ideology-Why Tax Cuts Hurt the Economy by Russ Beaton

"I’m fully aware that I risk excommunication from the Church of Economic Science when I argue exactly the opposite: Tax cuts actually hurt the economy. It isn’t just that they don’t help, or that they’re ineffective—THEY REALLY HURT!"

Perhaps if we bombed all the factories in Europe, China, and Japan, like we did from 1938-1945, we would enjoy the prosperity of the 50s and 60s once again.

I maintain that the 'golden age" of American manufacturing was a post-war bubble, simply because America was the only intact industrial economy.

Thanks.

And it is all Obama's fault?
Just stating the facts. Blame whomever is convenient for you.
Not WHO.
What. Greed.
Go over here and type the names of various execs..............followed by house.
Steve Jobs house, Bill Gates or Okrah Windbags house.etc etc.
You might begin to understand.I doubt it. .
Oprah Winfrey's House (Google Maps) - Virtual Globetrotting

Hey. You vote for it every time you click a TB channel or go shopping.
murkinz ALWAYS get what they ask for.
It's just " they" tell you what to ask for.
I'm sorry. Id B 2010.
"You B giddin whachu B axing fo"

Last edited:
For example, a large part of the 17% are people WHO HAVE JOBS AND ARE NOT OUT OF WORK.
College grads working at McDonalds part-time. That's living.
Did I say it was good? Did I say it was acceptable? It's not. But it's NOT the same as having no job at all. The majority of those who are "part time for economic reasons" are people who normally work 35 hours or more each week, but are TEMPORARILY working less due to business reasons.

Is it really an economic crisis if people don't want jobs?
You must live in a cave with internet access.
And you must live in an area with no retirees, stay at home spouses, full time students, or bums, and everyone is perfectly honest. Which la la land is that? Here in the US there are about 78 million people 16 and over (not in prison or an institute) who aren't working and say they don't want work.

There was a time in America when a HS graduate could apply to a large manufacturing company, an automaker, a telecommunications company, a materials company such as steel, a machine shop, drafting company, etc and get a great job and support his or her family. Some could work a farm or on a farm in those days. That has changed. Why? Some will say we live in a global world and we have to compete in a global world. Imagine competing with the billion or so Indians and Chinese when American companies move work there. We used to be the largest manufacturer in the world, as well as exporter no longer.

The thing that struck me about the 60 minutes piece was these were educated people, some with Phds. But what can you do when work isn't there for everybody, it never was there for everybody, but today's global world makes it more obvious at all levels.

So look in a mirror and ask yourself how you help when you buy foreign, buy cheap, criticize unions, support businesses that outsource work, support work, and manufacturing, and then when asked ? why ? bring up the usual slogans about free markets and freedom and nirvana is just around the corner. Seems some never learn, this shill has been going on a long time.

How many will support tax increases similar what FDR did to turn the country around during the great depression? The taxes would rebuild the country as FDR, Truman, and Eisenhower did with roads and infrastructure. Few would, as that is how politicians survive, so as long as you vote vague notions such as reduced taxes without thought of the consequences then you all are the cause. And whatever you do don't look at the waste of of our war machine, that would mean you were weak.

re-post

Join me, please.

I was riding home today after a middle distance bicycle ride, tired and a bit out of shape when I started counting cars, America - foreign, American - foreign. It occurred to me if only a small percentage of these people, the people who can afford more than a used clunker, bought American there would be no problems in one of our largest industries today. And lots of people would have a job and lots of businesses would be OK. May even help those incompetent bankers.

So I started giving thumbs up for American and thumbs down for foreign. Hard to distinguish which foreign car is made here, but no need I am a bit of a hard core American when it comes to cars. My '55' Chevy was my first love.

I'm sure the people thought me spastic, as my left hand thumb pointed up, then down, then up as cars drove by. Did anyone figure it out I wondered. Who is this nut! So if the whiners who lost the election can out of the blue, protest taxes, can we not protest something that has been going on for years due to cheaper prices, support structures, and no pensions, but still is having an insidious affect on our industrial base?

So if you own foreign go to you nearest mirror and give yourself a thumbs down, and if you own American and thus support all of us and America, a thumbs up is due and thank you. Take to the streets and express yourself. The bankers thank you too.

Oh, and my bicycle(s) is made in America too.

Buy American - support all Americans, including yourself.
Sorry, I'm not Japanese, I buy American.
When the Japanese sell American cars, I'll buy theirs.
Our children, our grandchildren, ourselves require we support each other, buy American.
Didn't know you were Korean!
When the Japanese support my wife, kids, and I, I'll support them, until then I'll buy American.
Quality! our Buick is number one.
Buy American and Thumbs up!
Please put an American on the line, this is an American product.

"There is no historical evidence that tax cuts spur economic growth. The highest period of growth in U.S. history (1933-1973) also saw its highest tax rates on the rich: 70 to 91 percent. During this period, the general tax rate climbed as well, but it reached a plateau in 1969, and growth slowed down five years later. Almost all rich nations have higher general taxes than the U.S., and they are growing faster as well."

Tax cuts spur economic growth
The Idolatry of Ideology-Why Tax Cuts Hurt the Economy by Russ Beaton

"I’m fully aware that I risk excommunication from the Church of Economic Science when I argue exactly the opposite: Tax cuts actually hurt the economy. It isn’t just that they don’t help, or that they’re ineffective—THEY REALLY HURT!"
Buy American....in a perfect world we would all do so. Try finding any product made of all American parts and manufactured from the ground up in the United States...Got a bit of bad news for ya....Not possible. Not in the general consumer market anyway.
In fact it is almost impossibel to buy an American made car.
Example......The Ford Fusion is a Mexican car..This model is assembled in Mexico with over 70% foreign made parts. Conversely , the Toyota Tundra pickup is assembled at plants in the US with over 60% American made parts. WHich one is foreign and which is domestic?..Does the nameplate really matter. Ford owns foreign auto companies. WHile Toyota has interests in the US. Toyota as well as other foriegn brands employ hundreds of thousands of US workers. VW, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Audi, Volvo, Mitsubishi, Sony, Porsche AG all have thir North American headquarters right here in the US. Most of those are located in the NY Metro area.
Toronto Dominion Bank( know to most as TD Bank) is a Canadian company. IKEA a large wood furiniture and home accessory chain is based in Sweden but has it's largest distributiion and import facility in Newark, NJ right across from Newark Airport...
BASF a German company has several manufacturing facilities here in the US.
What do we do, enact protectionist policies and kick these compnaies out of the US?. Please.....BMW looked far and wide for a new plant location. The company wanted to locate near a large seaport but also desired to stay out of big union states. The company decided on Greer, SC. SC is a right to work state. Also Greer has an international airport a stones throw form the giant plant. BMW received over 15,000 applications for 2,000 jobs before the plant opened. BMW's salary structure is among the highest in the nation and the highest in the Southeast. The plant has brought prosperity to the region.....Should we kick them out because BMW is not a domestic company?
Forieng competition is just one aspect which effects US manufacturing. Unions have priced themselves out of the loop. American mfg refused to adjust. Companies did not modernize and automate plants. These older facilities required too much manpower to operate. And as any business savvy person knows, labor is the highest percentage cost to doing business. Federal government policies created overbearing regulations and of course the US having one of the highest corporate tax rates in the industrialized world does not help either.

Buy American... Great idea. I am all for it. Find me some American made stuff and I'll buy it.

This doesn't shock me at all. I have said all along that this Administration has been consistently lying about the real Unemployment Rate. There is no way it's at 9.6%. That's simply a lie. It has to be much much higher. Look for them to claim the Unemployment Rate has magically dropped right before the Elections on Nov. 2nd as well. It's time to wake up America. You're being lied to. Vote all D's out of office on Nov. 2nd.

And then, a post later, you get this idiocy.

The only idiocy comes from You Cabiner. You are a paid Obama bot who's job it is to spread Obama's lies and attack those who would dare disagree.

One of the reasons the Hannity forum got sick of you and banned you.

Your talking points are wearing thin and they are going to be transparent by election day.

So prattle on! It's quite entertaining.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

U-6 unemployment:

As you can see, when Bush left office the U-6, the 'real', unemployment was about 14%.

So if you want to say they are lying about now, then they were lying about it then.

13.7 and that was AFTER TARP.

Now it's up to almost 18%

Portal Seven | U6 Unemployment Rate

No matter how you slice it Carbiner, Obama is worse, whether you use the U6 or regular unemployment numbers.

What cracks me up is you desperately dim Democrats keep trying to run against and blame it all on Bush WHEN BUSH ISN'T ON THE BALLOT!

We aren't voting for Bush, we are voting for CONSERVATIVES that are going to get us about the clutches of Democrats who obviously don't care about the country's suffering, they only care about their power, perks and privileges.

We've had enough. Blaming it all on Bush isn't going to turn the tide coming on November 2.

You might as well stuff that in your pipe and smoke it!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I will say it again now, and guarantee I will say it again..and again.

This is our fault more than any elected official, CEO, Banker, Corporate raider or whatever evil that makes you comfortable.

We did this, the everyday American.
We buy foreign cheap products whenever and wherever we can get our hands on them.
We measure value by price only.
We shop at stores we tell everyone we hate, but do it anyway.
We will constantly buy brand name over local choices.
We don't give a rat's ass about each other, regardless of the bumper sticker on our cars saying we are "Proud to be American" - Pfft. :doubt:

We did this to ourselves...annnnnnnnd...We are the only ones that can get us out of it.
Agree and disagree. Yes I agree that people in general shop on price first. Some consider value last. That's why stores like Harbor Freight Tools and other aftermarket discount chains exist.
Yes, I agree that many people will shop at places they claim to dislike. What really galls me is when the spouse of a union member shops at places such as Wal-Mart and K-Mart.
Brand name over local... I don't understand your meaning.
Don't say "WE" don't give a rat's ass about each other. There are plenty of great communities and neighborhoods where that is just not true.
I disagree that "foreign" automatically means "cheap"..You know better than that.

The Stimulus could have been spent more wisely with regards to employment. A lot of it went to union wage jobs and benefits, when it could have went to non union wage job and benefits and created even more jobs. We do know why this went down the way it did, so I don't need to rehash it.

The "Stimulus" would of been better if it was never spent period. How does taking money out of the private sector and government spending it help the economy in any way?

It didn't..Government creates nothing. It only consumes.

Forum List

Back