6 Places We Wish We Were At Right Now

Why don't people move to and live in the places they love? They need to make a living in places they wish they never saw?

Because if people moved to those places they would be ruined and nobody would want to visit them any more! :eusa_whistle:

The Traveler's Curse.

An old vagabond in his 60s told me about it over a beer in Central America, goes something like this: The more places you see, the more things you see that appeal to you, but no one place has them all. In fact, each place has a smaller and smaller percentage of the things you love, the more things you see. It drives you, even subconsciously, to keep looking, for aC place not that’s perfect (we all know there’s no Shangri-La), but just for a place that’s “just right for you.” But the curse is that the odds of finding “just right” get smaller, not larger, the more you experience. So you keep looking even more, but it always gets worse the more you see. This is Part A of the Curse.

Part B is relationships. The more you travel, the more numerous and profoundly varied the relationships you will have. But the more people you meet, the more diffused your time is with any of them. Since all these people can’t travel with you, it becomes more and more difficult to cultivate long term relationships the more you travel. Yet you keep traveling, and keep meeting amazing people, so it feels fulfilling, but eventually, you miss them all, and many have all but forgotten who you are. And then you make up for it by staying put somewhere long enough to develop roots and cultivate stronger relationships, but these people will never know what you know or see what you’ve seen, and you will always feel a tinge of loneliness, and you will want to tell your stories just a little bit more than they will want to hear them. The reason this is part of the Curse is that it gets worse the more you travel, yet travel seems to be a cure for a while.

As I was growing up we traveled so much, all the time, I once asked my mother how come we never got a place to live. She said we were cursed with the curse of the Flying Dutchman, we were to travel forever, never finding a home or a port.

The only place I ever wanted to go was to go home. Now I don't know whether it's the Travelers Curse or the Flying Dutchman Curse that keeps me on the move.

The Traveler's Curse.

An old vagabond in his 60s told me about it over a beer in Central America, goes something like this: The more places you see, the more things you see that appeal to you, but no one place has them all. In fact, each place has a smaller and smaller percentage of the things you love, the more things you see. It drives you, even subconsciously, to keep looking, for aC place not that’s perfect (we all know there’s no Shangri-La), but just for a place that’s “just right for you.” But the curse is that the odds of finding “just right” get smaller, not larger, the more you experience. So you keep looking even more, but it always gets worse the more you see. This is Part A of the Curse.

Part B is relationships. The more you travel, the more numerous and profoundly varied the relationships you will have. But the more people you meet, the more diffused your time is with any of them. Since all these people can’t travel with you, it becomes more and more difficult to cultivate long term relationships the more you travel. Yet you keep traveling, and keep meeting amazing people, so it feels fulfilling, but eventually, you miss them all, and many have all but forgotten who you are. And then you make up for it by staying put somewhere long enough to develop roots and cultivate stronger relationships, but these people will never know what you know or see what you’ve seen, and you will always feel a tinge of loneliness, and you will want to tell your stories just a little bit more than they will want to hear them. The reason this is part of the Curse is that it gets worse the more you travel, yet travel seems to be a cure for a while.

As I was growing up we traveled so much, all the time, I once asked my mother how come we never got a place to live. She said we were cursed with the curse of the Flying Dutchman, we were to travel forever, never finding a home or a port.

The only place I ever wanted to go was to go home. Now I don't know whether it's the Travelers Curse or the Flying Dutchman Curse that keeps me on the move.

I disagree with this. I've been traveling steadily, as well as living and working in foreign countries, for the past 10+ years. The part about not cultivating long term relationships can be true, but with the internet now, it is much less true as you can continue friendships with people via the internet though you rarely see them in person. I just had a friend visit me for a week whom I met living in her country 28 years ago. Other than the time I knew her while living in her country, we've spent about 20-30 days in each other's physical presence, but we've kept in touch first with letters and now via the internet. These days, if people are compatible and want to stay friends, they can, much more easily than before the internet.

I also disagree with the idea that the more you see the less you come to find exactly what you want. For me it's been the opposite. In fact, in my travels, one thing I've done is be on the lookout, be aware, that I wanted a place to make my permanent home, and, in fact, I have done that. While no place is perfect, I believe I've found the place that will be my permanent home, when I am ready to settle in one, and that it has nearly all the things I want and will be comfortable with. I've been to many other places with which to compare it, and I know this place is probably as close as I'm going to get to being just the perfect place for me. No place will be perfect.

I think the traveler's "curse" is a very negative way to look at traveling and probably written by someone who didn't love traveling at all but who loved sitting at home and not venturing out and wanted to justify that by writing a very negative vision of what travel is really like. Travel has not been a curse for me at all, but, rather, an absolute joy and will remain so for the rest of my life as one characteristic of the place in which I've chosen to settle is that travel from there to many other places will be relatively and reasonably inexpensive and accessible. It's one of the criteria that was important to me in finding my permanent home.

Last edited:
I have loved every trip we've taken - in the US and out. Jan is right about the Caribbean rain forest. Just incredible.

But, especially loved the three weeks we had in France and Belgium. Every moment was perfect, from the shows and plays to the food and wine. Just perfect.

We loved the south of France, Carcassonne - even the hotel is a castle. It is Camelot, made real. The food is incredible and the wine is beyond description.

carcassonne.jpg

Carcassonne-vignes.jpg

If you're planning a trip to France, you can't go wrong with a side trip to the wine country and staying in Carcasonne.

Took a day trip to that area, such beauty!

I am exactly where I want to be right now. A small town in Australia I know the shopkeepers and some residents from coming here over the years and we catch up on our lives. Just a nice place to be right now. Some think I am an actor on holiday and am treated like a celebrity. Total fun.

Yeah Jakki45 the Bamboo Forest Kyoto is best place to enjoy the family trip. I visited this forest recently with my family. The tall bamboos are very impressive and attractive. Bamboo forest has a long path for walk. Many people do the walking along this path, and there are many points that you can stop to see such as temples, etc.

Forum List

Back