Best Islamic Destinations

Saigon

Gold Member
May 4, 2012
Helsinki, Finland
Given a few threads have touched on travel in the Islamic world, I thought I'd throw in a few of my favourite places in the region.

All of the countries are fine and safe for travel, with alcohol available and people generally friendly and welcoming.

1. Turkey

Turkey is #1 because of the sheer range of things to do. From reliving the First World War horror at Gallipolli to sailing off Fethiye, from hot air ballooing above the weird rock formations in Capadoccia, to touring the ruins at Troy, Bergamon and Seljuk; Turkey has it all. My favourite place is Mt Nemrut, a ghostly mountain top covered in ancient carved heads. Great food, great beaches, and very courteous people.

url

2. Egypt

Far from the over-touristed pyramids, the real stars are the western desert and the wonders within. From sprawling, golden dunes to the marvelous snorkeling on the Red Sea, Egypt is one of the great travel destinations. It can be intense and wild, but it can also be serene and majestic.

3 Indonesia.

Probably my favourite country in the entire world. Indonesia offers spectacular scenery, gorgeous food, ancient ruins, smoking volcanoes and the best diving in the world. I love the komodo dragons, but best of for me as the deserted islands, ringed with coral. Sigh...

4. Malaysia

Friendly, open and developed, Malaysia offers similar treats to Indonesia, but is more westernised and developed. A lovely place to experience jungle and tea plantations, also great diving and shopping.

5. Jordan

From the Dead Sea to the glorious desert at WadiRum (home of Lawrence of Arabia), where you can sleep out in the sand and ride around on camels! The ruins at Petra is a chance to feel like Indiana Jones, and also enjoy the snorkeling on the Red Sea.

6. Morocco

Morocco feels so different from anywhere else. A little mystical and entirely unique, it's also a great place to experience real desert. The markets at Marrakesh is one of the best in the world, but also the cities of Fez and Rabat are intriguing. It's not the easiest country to travel in, but it is well worth the effort.

7. Lebanon

The downtown area of Beirut (known as Solidere) is the most beautiful inner city in the world. Fantastic food, lovely people, and an eye-opening experience with the open scar of the Green Line right behind you. Baalbeck is one of the greatest Roman creations in the world, and well worth a trip into the once infamous Bekaa Valley.

8. Azerbaijan

Almost entirely off the backpacker circuit, Azerbaijan is as fascinating as it is unfashionable. Sure, the oil industry has destroyed the coastline, but Baku is a pretty, thriving city with great architecture and a very open, liberal feel. Out of the city there are ancient cave drawings in the middle of a desert, and a Zoroastrian temple.For weird chic, visit the sea of oil dericks featured at the beginning of James Bond's 'World isNot Enough'.

Turkey is somewhere I really want to get to.

I also have to mention Jerusalem, albeit not entirely Islamic!

Whatever your faith or lack thereof, Jerusalem is the perfect city. It is golden, magical, mystical and raw, all at the same time. It feels like the centre of the world. All tourists should visit Temple Mount, the sublime mosque atop the Wailing Wall, and the third holiest shrine in Islam, and the most sacred one which is open to tourists.

Jerusalem is the Capitol of Israel. Israel is a Jewish Nation but they welcome people of all religions to come and visit. Some even live there because the Israeli people are known for their wonderful hospitality to their guests.

- Jeremiah

We are ready to put our US Embassy in Jerusalem where it belongs. It is temporarily located in Tel Aviv. I can't wait until it is built. I think I will make a trip over there to see it when it is completed.

We are ready to put our US Embassy in Jerusalem where it belongs. It is temporarily located in Tel Aviv. I can't wait until it is built. I think I will make a trip over there to see it when it is completed.

So the Wailing Wall, Via Dolorosa, Mount of Olives, Yad Vashem, the Knesset and Temple Mount are currently not enough to entice you?

Visiting one of the most enigmatic cities on earth, the one site you definitely want to see is the US Embassy?

Yawn.

Last edited:
Turkey is number one for me, based on the other Islamic countries I've been to. I've been to Greek Cypus and am interested in going to Turkish Cyprus. I'm thinking of going to Morocco next winter for a couple of weeks. I've been there before, but many years ago. Egypt is very intreresting, was there about 4 years ago for 3 weeks and another time for a few days for a business trip which included some site seeing. I'm also thinking about going to Oman either this coming autumn or the next spring.

Turkey is number one for me, based on the other Islamic countries I've been to. I've been to Greek Cypus and am interested in going to Turkish Cyprus. I'm thinking of going to Morocco next winter for a couple of weeks. I've been there before, but many years ago. Egypt is very intreresting, was there about 4 years ago for 3 weeks and another time for a few days for a business trip which included some site seeing. I'm also thinking about going to Oman either this coming autumn or the next spring.

I haven't been to Oman, but have only heard good things. It's probably the most interesting of the Gulf states, and a world away from the shopping hell of Dubai etc.

I hear Oman has some great desert tours, which I'd love to do.

I haven't been to Oman, but have only heard good things. It's probably the most interesting of the Gulf states, and a world away from the shopping hell of Dubai etc.

Yes, I know a lot of people who have been there, both Westerners and Middle Easterners. It sounds good. I'm thinking of staying at a beach resort and taking day trips to the historical sites. A mixed cultural/decadence junket combination. :) Some time in the next year. Morocco is pretty much definite for next winter.

I can now also add Sengal to the list - definitely one of the easier destinations for people concerned about travel in Islamic countries!

Was either one of the engineers or surveyors on several of Dubai's many modern construction projects between '98 and 2001.

Has anybody traveled to the middle east/north africa lately? is it safe? thinking about going to Morocco.

My people tell me Morocco is fine right now....business as usual.

That said, Morocco isn't the easiest place to travel at any time. It's a great place, but you need to keep an eye out for scams and rip-offs.

Has anybody traveled to the middle east/north africa lately? is it safe? thinking about going to Morocco.

That said, Morocco isn't the easiest place to travel at any time. It's a great place, but you need to keep an eye out for scams and rip-offs.

Travel to an Islamic country?
Moi?

Never in a million years.

Jerusalem is the Capitol of Israel. Israel is a Jewish Nation but they welcome people of all religions to come and visit. Some even live there because the Israeli people are known for their wonderful hospitality to their guests.

- Jeremiah

Jerusalem has many wonderful Islamic sites.

Travel to an Islamic country?
Moi?

Never in a million years.

Then we don't need to ask why your posting is based on ignorance, do we?

I’ve been to Dubai, OAE last year. And I can truthfully say that this city is perfect in almost every way. People are happy and friendly; you won’t see people hurrying around, even during rush hour, like you do in most big cities. The city is bilingual, too, so you won’t have any troubles speaking English because the second language in UAE is English. The best time to travel is autumn and spring. I wouldn’t recommend visiting during the summer – it’s extremely hot! By the way, I advise you to go to the East coast to see the mountains and wildlife. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Attachments

• $e4lZgtvpn8E.jpg
    $e4lZgtvpn8E.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 100
Tunisia is a very nice place to visit. We go once, sometimes twice a year. Next visit this coming May for two weeks. Friendly people, interesting historical sites to see.

Turkey, we have visited Marmaris three times. Same again, nice people. Also one visit to Kusadasi in the same country. Ephesus ancient ruins nearby.... well worth a look.

Forum List

Back