6 Places We Wish We Were At Right Now

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
I want to go to there – Another good one from Drew Curtis' FARK and BuzzFeed @ 6 Places We Wish We Were At Right Now

Again, a couple look really nice but I like this one:
enhanced-buzz-10238-1371141067-13.jpg

Interesting pics - though a little silly that 5 of the 6 are in the Americas, and 4 of the 6 in North America.

Not a single great site in Europe, Africa or the Middle East combined?

Still, I thought the rock in California looked absolutely amazing - I'd love to see that.

1. Rain forest in Puerto Rico

2. Chankannaub National Park in Cozumel

3. The Smokey Mountains

4. Pretty much any beach in Florida

5. An Alaskan cruise

6. Maui

I have loved every trip we've taken - in the US and out. Jan is right about the Caribbean rain forest. Just incredible.

But, especially loved the three weeks we had in France and Belgium. Every moment was perfect, from the shows and plays to the food and wine. Just perfect.

We loved the south of France, Carcassonne - even the hotel is a castle. It is Camelot, made real. The food is incredible and the wine is beyond description.

carcassonne.jpg

Carcassonne-vignes.jpg

If you're planning a trip to France, you can't go wrong with a side trip to the wine country and staying in Carcasonne.

I have loved every trip we've taken - in the US and out. Jan is right about the Caribbean rain forest. Just incredible.

But, especially loved the three weeks we had in France and Belgium. Every moment was perfect, from the shows and plays to the food and wine. Just perfect.

We loved the south of France, Carcassonne - even the hotel is a castle. It is Camelot, made real. The food is incredible and the wine is beyond description.

carcassonne.jpg

Carcassonne-vignes.jpg

If you're planning a trip to France, you can't go wrong with a side trip to the wine country and staying in Carcasonne.

1959, a young GI got on his Lambretta motor scooter and took off to visit places along the northern side of the Pyrenees. Stopped at Carcassone and fell in love with it.

If you care, check out some back blog posts on my other blog - A soldier's Tales.

carcassonne.jpg

Carcassonne-vignes.jpg

Beautiful!

If you go to Carcasonne -- We took a regular train from Paris to Carcasonne. Comfortable, food and drink to buy or take your own, which we did.

A funny thing about our stay in a castle in Carcasonne was that it rained a lot. Mostly just misting and hauntingly beautiful in the setting of medieval castles. In our shopping, we looked and looked for an umbrella. The only one we could find had Elvis Presley on it. When we left, I put the Elvis Presley umbrella in the brolly stand in the lobby of the hotel. It might still be there so if you need an umbrella, look for it.

We took a fast train all the way from the southern tip of France, all the way to the northern tip of France to Belgium (I don't think its a true bullet train). New train and wonderful, great food and drink offered, huge windows and really lovely to sit back, talk to the people who happened to sit near you and watch the beautiful French countryside fly by. We saw deer and, amazingly, an owl.

We somehow always manage to need an umbrella on our trips so I have them from everywhere. But, damn, I did not want an Elvis brolly for my collection.

We're talking about our next big trip and considering Paris again and then to Brussels to visit with friends and then to Bruge and a couple of other out of the way places.

But, I can't recommend Carcasonne enough. Its magical and real. Not a pretend movie set but a place where real people lived. Walking through the rooms of each individual and separate "home" - its just stunning. Its not that expensive. Just GO and soak it up.

Oh and the food and wine there is wonderful. But, its France so you expect that.

For those of us who love snorkeling and diving, it's worth going to these places sooner rather than later, particularly if you have kids. There might not be much to dive to even 20 years from now.

The GBR is amazing, but Flores or Ambon in Indonesia are as good, and also I like the Perhentian Islands in Malaysia. All great diving.

A beach to run naked on, a night club to drink and dance in, coffee shops for hash and pot, plenty of hills and trees to climb.

I want to go pretty much everywhere. It's not easy to list just 6 places. But off the top of my head, what's in my mind at the present are:

1 - go on an African Safari and see Mt. Kilimanjaro
2 - drive Route 66 from one end to the other
3 - visit the Galápagos Islands
4 - see the archeological sites of the Inca, Aztecs and Mayans
5 - Cuba
6 - Morocco

Right now, I am in a place I'd like to be and am seeing and experiencing news sights nearly daily.

I'm tentatively planning on a tour of Morocco's cultural sights next winter, and Oman either next fall or spring. I've been to Morocco before, but it's been over 30 years. I've been to India a couple of times so far, but am thinking of another trip soon to an area I've not yet seen. So, probably, in the next 12 months, Morocco, India and Oman.

I'd like to take this road trip on the longest contiguous road in America

U.S. Route 20 (US 20) is an east–west United States highway. The "0" in its route number indicates that US 20 is a coast-to-coast route. Spanning 3,365 miles (5,415 km), it is the longest road in the United States,[2] and the route roughly parallels that of Interstate 90 (I-90). However, since numbered US routes are not designated as such within the boundaries of national parks, Yellowstone National Park technically splits the route into two sections, making U.S. Route 6 the longest contiguous route.

It and US 30 break the general U.S. Route numbering rules in Oregon, since US 30 actually starts north of US 20 and runs parallel to the north throughout the state. The two overlap and continue in the "correct" positioning near Caldwell, Idaho. This is because US 20 was not a planned coast-to-coast route while US 30 was. US 20 originally ended at the eastern entrance of Yellowstone Park; it was extended in 1940.[2]

The highway's eastern terminus is in Boston, Massachusetts, at Kenmore Square, where it meets Route 2. Its western terminus is in Newport, Oregon, at an intersection with US 101, within a mile of the Pacific Ocean.[3]

1. Beach in Hawaii

2. Cabin on a mountain lake

3. On the road with the Orioles

4. Rome

5. The Great Wall

6. The Great Barrier Reef

For those of us who love snorkeling and diving, it's worth going to these places sooner rather than later, particularly if you have kids. There might not be much to dive to even 20 years from now.

The GBR is amazing, but Flores or Ambon in Indonesia are as good, and also I like the Perhentian Islands in Malaysia. All great diving.

I tried snorkeling once, when we lived in Hawaii. Couldn't do it....every time I'd put my head under water I'd start hyperventilating!! Lol!

My one and only trip outside the US was in 2010 to visit my son and family in Germany when they were stationed there.....It was wonderful!

But right now?? No place fancy....just would love to be in NC visiting them again :) I don't get to see my grandkids often....so wished they were closer. But it is much better than when they were in Germany, I couldn't just hop in the car and go!! Lol!

Why don't people move to and live in the places they love? They need to make a living in places they wish they never saw?

Forum List

Back