50 years later: has government dependency helped or hurt blacks?

Did the people vote for him because he was a proven commodity with the job skills needed to handle the ensuing position...or did then vote for him because our main stream media bent over backwards in not properly vetting him?

We elected a man based on a narrative about him that was in many ways what a liberally leaning press WANTED him to be...not who he actually was! Hope & Change? That's a platform? Yet the most vague platform in the history of American politics was given a wink and a nod by CNN, NBC, CBS and ABC. The very people who SHOULD have been holding this man's feet to the fire instead gave him a foot massage while they went after Hilary Clinton, Sarah Palin and John McCain.

I'm really not "mad", Closed. I found his entire rise to power and subsequent election to be fascinating to be quite honest with you. The fact that someone with almost no notable accomplishments in any of his chosen adult endeavors would rise out of obscurity to become President of the United States is amazing. I don't think you could sell it as a Hollywood script it so far fetched...yet it happened.

I agree somewhat. Not only was he voted for once but twice. Hope and change is what this nation was built on. If the mailman can get enough signatures to get on the ballet and the public votes for them then they too can be POTUS. Nothing wrong with that if the people want it. Our country was floundering and needed this moment to grow. the biggest problem people have is the lack of vision. They can only see what is in front of them. This is for a better future and present. Besides who can claim to be ready to be the POTUS besides a 1rst term POTUS? I hope you dont think GW Bush was "qualified"?

Compared to Barack Obama? W. was far more qualified, Asc...he was from a political family and grew up immersed in politics. He was a two term governor of one of the country's largest states which means he had to submit and operate a government under a budget. I'm sorry but Barack Obama had nothing even close to what W. had walking in the door.

And how did that turn out? Financial disaster, bail outs, two wars, large expansion of government, nanny state, Medicare part D, etc. :)

And Affirmative Action is NOT "leveling the playing field", Closed. It is in fact tilting it the opposite way to try and make up for past slights. Let's be honest here...

That depends on if it was flat and balanced to begin with. In this case opportunity was not balanced. AA's intent was to do just that.

Bullshit. A kid born in the last 20 years experiences no more discrimination than anyone else. The opposite in fact. There is no valid reason for continued affirmative action.

But wait! I thought according to some of your cronies and possibly you, that "the Blacks" were all on welfare and poor? If that is true, why all of the hub bub over Affirmative Action? Are you people stating that the "lazy Blacks" who are poor and on welfare, are now taking your jobs via AA? :lol:

50 years ago Martin Luther King shared his dream of a nation where black and whites would seamlessly interweave in making a larger and better American fabric; where skin color was irrelevant.

That is perfectly in line with the American ideal: come here with an idea, with a talent, with a skill, with a mission and nurture it and tend to it until it blossoms.

Instead we heard yesterday blacks need more government programs and support

Was MLK's vision the path that's been followed, or is that the road not taken?

Certainly NOT with what went on yesterday...and the 'O' blew it. He had to bring up class warfare (for a later thread)...I digress.

RUSH: We got time to squeeze this in by Martin Luther King, at a Philadelphia junior high school in 1967. Listen closely.

KING: What I'm saying to you this morning, my friends: Even if it falls your lot to be a street sweeper, go out and sweep streets like Michelangelo painted pictures! Sweep streets like Handel and Beethoven composed music. Sweep streets like Shakespeare wrote poetry. Sweep streets so well that all the host of heaven and earth will have to pause and say, "Here lived a great street sweeper who swept his job well!" If you can't be a pine on the top of a hill, be a scrub in the valley, but be the best little scrub on the side of the rill. Be a bush if you can't be a tree. If you can't be a highway, just be a trail. If you can't be a sun, be a star. It isn't by size that you win or you fail; be the best at whatever that you are!

RUSH: Sounds to me like the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King believed in the American dream in 1966, '67. It sounds to me like he believed in the American dream.

*I* happen to agree. MLK was all about integration and would be horrified to see who has taken up his cause today, and what they've done to it. He'd blast every single one of them

These people that practice the race baiting and division have an axe to grind, and are such horrible human beings they have to justify their relevance by keeping the pot stirred. Obama led that charge again yesterday.

The American Dream is Not Dead

On a related note:

Dr. King was About Integration, Not Division

Great thread Frankster!

I agree somewhat. Not only was he voted for once but twice. Hope and change is what this nation was built on. If the mailman can get enough signatures to get on the ballet and the public votes for them then they too can be POTUS. Nothing wrong with that if the people want it. Our country was floundering and needed this moment to grow. the biggest problem people have is the lack of vision. They can only see what is in front of them. This is for a better future and present. Besides who can claim to be ready to be the POTUS besides a 1rst term POTUS? I hope you dont think GW Bush was "qualified"?

Compared to Barack Obama? W. was far more qualified, Asc...he was from a political family and grew up immersed in politics. He was a two term governor of one of the country's largest states which means he had to submit and operate a government under a budget. I'm sorry but Barack Obama had nothing even close to what W. had walking in the door.

And how did that turn out? Financial disaster, bail outs, two wars, large expansion of government, nanny state, Medicare part D, etc. :)

it turned out much better than the failure we have now.

not to even mention 17 trillion of debt and counting

That depends on if it was flat and balanced to begin with. In this case opportunity was not balanced. AA's intent was to do just that.

Bullshit. A kid born in the last 20 years experiences no more discrimination than anyone else. The opposite in fact. There is no valid reason for continued affirmative action.

Why because you say so? What makes you think this is the truth?

stop whining. maybe then your "psychological problems" ( a.k.a. entitlement mindset) will go away :lol:

^^ Brainwashed idiocy. Cost 5 trillion to avoid a full scale Pub depression and save the victms from homelessness and hunger. Thanks for 5 years of mindless obstruction and self inflicted "crises", chumps of the greedy idiot rich GOP, hater dupes.

With all due respect, Ops...W. was given a plateful right from the start of his first term. Judging from how Barack Obama has handled the issues that HE has faced...how do you think he would have fared dealing with 9/11 and the onset of the financial crisis? I haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe he would have been up to the task, quite frankly. Give W. deserved abuse for spending like a tax and spend liberal but also give him deserved credit for assembling a multi-national coalition to go into Afghanistan and take out the Taliban not to mention his portion of TARP...bailouts that kept the financial markets from imploding and which the American taxpayer recouped what was given out.

As a fiscal conservative, George W. Bush was not my cup of tea but compared to Barry he's starting to look more and more attractive with every passing year.

50 years ago Martin Luther King shared his dream of a nation where black and whites would seamlessly interweave in making a larger and better American fabric; where skin color was irrelevant.

That is perfectly in line with the American ideal: come here with an idea, with a talent, with a skill, with a mission and nurture it and tend to it until it blossoms.

Certainly NOT with what went on yesterday...and the 'O' blew it. He had to bring up class warfare (for a later thread)...I digress.

RUSH: We got time to squeeze this in by Martin Luther King, at a Philadelphia junior high school in 1967. Listen closely.

KING: What I'm saying to you this morning, my friends: Even if it falls your lot to be a street sweeper, go out and sweep streets like Michelangelo painted pictures! Sweep streets like Handel and Beethoven composed music. Sweep streets like Shakespeare wrote poetry. Sweep streets so well that all the host of heaven and earth will have to pause and say, "Here lived a great street sweeper who swept his job well!" If you can't be a pine on the top of a hill, be a scrub in the valley, but be the best little scrub on the side of the rill. Be a bush if you can't be a tree. If you can't be a highway, just be a trail. If you can't be a sun, be a star. It isn't by size that you win or you fail; be the best at whatever that you are!

RUSH: Sounds to me like the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King believed in the American dream in 1966, '67. It sounds to me like he believed in the American dream.

*I* happen to agree. MLK was all about integration and would be horrified to see who has taken up his cause today, and what they've done to it. He'd blast every single one of them

These people that practice the race baiting and division have an axe to grind, and are such horrible human beings they have to justify their relevance by keeping the pot stirred. Obama led that charge again yesterday.

On a related note:

Great thread Frankster!

What do you think Martin Luther King would make of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton? You've got a couple of guys who have milked racism like the family cow for 45 years now. I've got a feeling MLK would tell them to shut up and get a real job and he'd tell Jesse Jackson Jr. that he should be ashamed of himself.

But wait! I thought according to some of your cronies and possibly you, that "the Blacks" were all on welfare and poor? If that is true, why all of the hub bub over Affirmative Action? Are you people stating that the "lazy Blacks" who are poor and on welfare, are now taking your jobs via AA? :lol:

LOL...well you know those lazy unemployed employed people who dont work for their welfare are taken all the jobs!

On a related note:

Great thread Frankster!

What do you think Martin Luther King would make of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton? You've got a couple of guys who have milked racism like the family cow for 45 years now. I've got a feeling MLK would tell them to shut up and get a real job and he'd tell Jesse Jackson Jr. that he should be ashamed of himself.

Martin-Luther-King-and-Jesse-Jackson-Last-Speech.jpg

they said the same thing about MLK. I know, I know theres ONE acceptable negro out there fighting for blacks you just havent found him yet, right?

On a related note:

Great thread Frankster!

MLK would reject them BOTH...admonish them for bastardizing what he was all about for their own self aggrandizement at the expense of ALL people.

On a related note:

Great thread Frankster!

they said the same thing about MLK. I know, I know theres ONE acceptable negro out there fighting for blacks you just havent found him yet, right?
They're ALL over the place jerkoff. Try Senator Tim Scott, HERMAN CAIN...Dr. Benjamin Carson for starters...How about those? Too HOT for you?

DO try to keep up shall you?

They're ALL over the place jerkoff. Try Senator Tim Scott, HERMAN CAIN...Dr. Benjamin Carson for starters...How about those? Too HOT for you?

I said "fights for" not "shits on"

^^WHY YOU will NEVER get it and continue to lose and remain in your self-imposed quagmire on non-independent thought. Party line all the way for YOU.

Please continue.

^^WHY YOU will NEVER get it and continue to lose and remain in your self-imposed quagmire on non-independent thought. Party line all the way for YOU.

Please continue.

Your right so heres an open ended question for you: What has Herman, Scott or Carson done, besides existing, that counts as fighting for blacks?

Neg rep for abject stupidity.

Why because you say so? What makes you think this is the truth?

In 1950 there were many colleges that would not accept a black (or Jews for that matter). There were many firms that would not hire a black.
By 1970 that was done. WHat firm today does not hire black people? What college does not accept blacks? None.
At what point do we say past discrimination is past? At what point do we stop perpetuating discimination on the basis of race? When do we get to ML King's standard of "judged by the character not the color"?

Has gov't dependency helped or hurt the defense industry, Halliburton, Exxon-Mobile (and all the other oil companies), Lobby shops and all the companies they represent, DC lawyers, PACs, big banks, government contractors, etc?

The defense industry provides goods and services teh gov't needs to fulfill its Constitutional duty.
Oil companies are not dependents on the gov't. In fact the gov't makes more money from their products than they do.
Lobbyists exist because Democrats will not simplify the tax code and reduce regulations, creating an opening for special pleading legislation and loopholes.

Next.

Forum List

Back