50 years later: has government dependency helped or hurt blacks?

You didn't disagree and snark is not a point. When someone cannot refute that's a sign of being correct and the snark is just anger

The chart shows a disincentive to work or get better work, you cheap dime store hack.

Burying your head in the sand doesnt make the fact go away.

If that's true dummy then why does reality disagree with your colorful chart?

Fact: most on welfare already have jobs

And it pays for those jobs to be menial as possible so you maximize benefits.

But keep being ignorant, it makes my job easier.

50 years ago Martin Luther King shared his dream of a nation where black and whites would seamlessly interweave in making a larger and better American fabric; where skin color was irrelevant.

That is perfectly in line with the American ideal: come here with an idea, with a talent, with a skill, with a mission and nurture it and tend to it until it blossoms.

Instead we heard yesterday blacks need more government programs and support

Was MLK's vision the path that's been followed, or is that the road not taken?

More whites than blacks are "dependent on government". Has that hurt whites?

The entitlement mentality and entitlement providing machine within government has helped the DEMs

50 years ago Martin Luther King shared his dream of a nation where black and whites would seamlessly interweave in making a larger and better American fabric; where skin color was irrelevant.

That is perfectly in line with the American ideal: come here with an idea, with a talent, with a skill, with a mission and nurture it and tend to it until it blossoms.

The entitlement mentality and entitlement providing machine within government has helped the DEMs

So...no Republicans are provided entitlements?

The chart shows a disincentive to work or get better work, you cheap dime store hack.

Burying your head in the sand doesnt make the fact go away.

So it does create a disincentive to work but the disincentive isn't strong enough? :lol:

Dam those pesky facts getting in the way of your talking points. :lol:

So it does create a disincentive to work but the disincentive isn't strong enough? :lol:

I'm not sure if you are really as stupid as your posts indicate, or you are just playing stupid.

Let me try this simply. You are better off making less money so your benefits are greater. There is a point where once you cross a certain income you lose benefits to make the gross compensation (salary + benefits) less than you had before.

If you can be comfortable on welfare, why get off it?

I'm not sure if you are really as stupid as your posts indicate, or you are just playing stupid.

Let me try this simply. You are better off making less money so your benefits are greater. There is a point where once you cross a certain income you lose benefits to make the gross compensation (salary + benefits) less than you had before.

Your hypothetical is bullshit because the facts show that most people on welfare work. YOu can color charts all day and it wont change that. NO ONE goes into a job and asks for less money, again, just made up bullshit to justify prior bullshit thinking.

So...no Republicans are provided entitlements?

Some did, yes.. Hell Bush II expanded some.. but I was not defending big spending big government Republicans in any way shape or form. .and we know that the DEMs have continually called for and campaigned on entitlement expansion

Hence why I said, the DEMs have been helped by the entitlement mantra and the entitlement machine in government

Your hypothetical is bullshit because the facts show that most people on welfare work. YOu can color charts all day and it wont change that. NO ONE goes into a job and asks for less money, again, just made up bullshit to justify prior bullshit thinking.

You are not even on topic, because you have no point to make. You dont address the chart, because again, you have no point to make.

Calling something bullshit doesnt make it magically go away. People working on welfare does not remove the problem that it makes it easy for people to just get by instead of improving themselves.

You are not even on topic, because you have no point to make. You dont address the chart, because again, you have no point to make.

Calling something bullshit doesnt make it magically go away. People working on welfare does not remove the problem that it makes it easy for people to just get by instead of improving themselves.

How can I put this plainly: About the chart. Reality disagrees with it. Understand?

If Welfare was a DISINCENTIVE to working most people on welfare WOULDNT BE WORKING. Understand?

Dependency by its very nature is destructive. However, just because you call it dependency doesn't make it true. Thats why the words support and assistance were used. Until all are on equal footing the dream MLK had is not realized but as you heard yesterday we are working towards it. You can be a hinderance or you can assist. Either way its going to happen with or without you. If you dont move you will just get run over.

How can I put this plainly: About the chart. Reality disagrees with it. Understand?

If Welfare was a DISINCENTIVE to working most people on welfare WOULDNT BE WORKING. Understand?

so there is no single case of someone on welfare not working because being on welfare is good enough for them? Not a SINGLE one?

And the chart is reality, you are the one trying to ignore it, not me.

MLK supported AA programs. Don't go being stupid

Four years later King's words in the 1967 tract "Where Do We Go From Here" were even clearer on the subject: "A society that has done something special against the Negro for hundreds of years must now do something special for him."
Yes, Henry Payne, Martin Luther King Really Did Support Affirmative Action*?* Deadline Detroit

Will that change the way you feel about MLK? Yes it will but in order to keep lying to yourself you have to unsee what I just posted

The question you should be asking is not whether Martin Luther King supported Affirmative Action before it was tried...the question you should be asking is would he support it NOW after watching what it's done to the black community as a whole?

King always struck me foremost as a pragmatist. He wasn't a dumb man. I have no way of knowing how his views would have changed over the years but I would guess that he would have been disappointed with many of the "side effects" of Affirmative Action and how programs to do something "special" for blacks have instead trapped them in State sponsored poverty.

I would make the point that being "dependent" on government ultimately hurts anyone regardless of color.

MLK supported AA programs. Don't go being stupid

Four years later King's words in the 1967 tract "Where Do We Go From Here" were even clearer on the subject: "A society that has done something special against the Negro for hundreds of years must now do something special for him."
Yes, Henry Payne, Martin Luther King Really Did Support Affirmative Action*?* Deadline Detroit

Will that change the way you feel about MLK? Yes it will but in order to keep lying to yourself you have to unsee what I just posted

The question you should be asking is not whether Martin Luther King supported Affirmative Action before it was tried...the question you should be asking is would he support it NOW after watching what it's done to the black community as a whole?

King always struck me foremost as a pragmatist. He wasn't a dumb man. I have no way of knowing how his views would have changed over the years but I would guess that he would have been disappointed with many of the "side effects" of Affirmative Action and how programs to do something "special" for blacks have instead trapped them in State sponsored poverty.

That's addressed as well:

That kind of sounds like affirmative action. Now, true, you'll never see King refer to such compensatory policies as affirmative action and with good reason. Affirmative action as we know it was essentially created by the Nixon Administration (look up Arthur Fletcher and the Philadelphia Plan) in the years following King's assassination.

One is also unlikely to find John Quincy Adams writing about NASA. Adams, however, given his support for federally-funded scientific expeditions and research, it's unreasonable to assume (if he were alive in modern America) Adams would oppose NASA.

The same standard applies to King. Judging by the (ahem) content of speeches and writings, King believed special measures must be taken to level the racial playing field made uneven by centuries of slavery and institutional racism.

In toto the civil rights movement was a disaster for the country as well as for blacks. Certainly equal rights was and is a laudable goal. I believe we would have gotten there without gov't intervention simply because economically discrimination makes no sense. There was segregation because state governments mandated segregation. Businesses want to sell product to customers. More customers is more sales, so they had every incentive eventually to relent on accomodation.
But we've seen two ill effects: the first is a severe erosion of independence and freedom. If I own a business I ought to be able to say who my customers are. Even if it's racist. Even if its stupid. Even if it puts me out of business. Now no one can.
The second is the virtual enslavement of the black community in a downward cycle of poverty. The black family was far more intact in 1960 and they more often reflected middle class values than today. Today a welfare mentality has taken hold that suggests every problem, personal and communal, needs a gov't program to solve it. They will never rise above poverty, ignorance, and racism by demanding more gov't cheese.
A third issue is the traditional institutions of the black community--college and churches--have been eroded to become welfare recipients themselves, or advocates for the same.

Government dependency? You mean like with these guys?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y54rcz_L5Q4]Mississippi Rednecks that vote republican - YouTube[/ame]

so there is no single case of someone on welfare not working because being on welfare is good enough for them? Not a SINGLE one?

If you think that's what I'm saying have fun with your pudding:lol:

If you think that's what I'm saying have fun with your pudding:lol:

Its sad to see someone not be able to admit they have been owned.

Forum List

Back