5 bands that shouldnt be given as much credit as they do

You can't claim a band is 'over rated' simply because you don't like what they do.

Can you send me a copy of the rule book? I wasn't aware of this restriction and who knows what else. :eusa_whistle:
We can save postage as I just quoted it for you.

You could of course send me yours that explains why some of the greatest bands in history are 'over rated' to you.

I was being facetious. The whole discussion is academic and subjective, so of course there really is no rule book silly. :cuckoo:

And IMO, a band can be both great AND overrated. It's just a matter of whether one personally believes that their true greatness matches their perceived greatness. IMO, Pink Floyd's true greatness falls staggeringly short of their perceived greatness. But that's just one man's wholly inconsequential opinion. :cool:

I was being facetious. The whole discussion is academic and subjective, so of course there really is no rule book silly. :cuckoo:

And IMO, a band can be both great AND overrated. It's just a matter of whether one personally believes that their true greatness matches their perceived greatness. IMO, Pink Floyd's true greatness falls staggeringly short of their perceived greatness. But that's just one man's wholly inconsequential opinion. :cool:
I'm fine with it, I laugh at the high horse crowd that start trying to break down top bands simply because they don't like their music.

I'm fine with it, I laugh at the high horse crowd that start trying to break down top bands simply because they don't like their music.

I know what you mean. When people start to rip apart such commercially successful acts as Britney Spears and the Jonas Brothers, it really gets me steamed! :evil:

dude, Justice for all was better metal than anything maiden put out during their entire career. There is not a single iron maiden song that compares to One. Alone. And, really.. I'm going to need examples of maiden's apparent virtuosity because the first half of almost every Metallica song on Justice required more musicianship than any maiden song I can think of. By all means, post examples but... Maiden < Metallica.

and, regarding musical abilities... how many guiltar players did maiden need again?

And Justice could not even touch Number of the Beast or Powerslave or Piece of Mind... in their wildest dreams

Metallica even Credits Iron Maiden for influence

And Justice is like a bus load of retards on their way to Chuck E Cheese's

dude. Thats simply retarded. First, being an influence doesn't really say anything about whose band is musically better. Hell, the Misfits were also a Metallica influence; do you want to argue that Jerry Only is a groundbreaking bassist? Of course not. Second, Your OPINION is one thing... ALBUM SALES are another. Sure, sure.. you can sit and be a fanboy all day long. But, the FACT remains that Metallica sold more records of any three of their albums than Maiden sold any 6 of theirs. You can't find anyone who is not an 80s throwbacck who can even NAME a songs on each of those maiden albums... But, you think I'll have any trouble finding people who can name at least one song from EACH Metallica album? Your position on this is simply propostorus from the original point of accusing MEtallica of being a product of marketing, DESPITE EVERY ROLE EDDIE PLAYED FOR MAIDEN, all the way down to whose albums were more popular AND, let's face it, more musically inclined.

Hell, PM pool master Manifold to set up a poll inthe flame zone and I'll match you song to song so we can let the people of USMB decide who they think was the better metal band.

Iron Maiden kick Metallica's arse. No question. Metallica are Ok at best. In fact, their early stuff is shit (IMO of course). I think they got better as they got older...

well, you are a fucking retard who doesn't know what the fuck he is talking about. If you think they got BETTER as they got older then you disqualify your opinion from the start.

You can't claim a band is 'over rated' simply because you don't like what they do.

Can you send me a copy of the rule book? I wasn't aware of this restriction and who knows what else. :eusa_whistle:

DCARead

Aw man I totally agreed until you said Depeche Mode. their Violator album is classic and, I'd say, deserving of a top 25 place in modern music.

I'm gonna go ahead and just take your word for it on that one. :lol:

I'm telling you.. it's good stuff. If you are ever kinda pissed off and you like electronic music DM is a good band to reach for.

In 2003, the album was ranked number 342 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time. It is included in the book 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violator_(album)

Aw man I totally agreed until you said Depeche Mode. their Violator album is classic and, I'd say, deserving of a top 25 place in modern music.

I'm telling you.. it's good stuff. If you are ever kinda pissed off and you like electronic music DM is a good band to reach for.

In 2003, the album was ranked number 342 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time. It is included in the book 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die.

No offense, but considering that you don't even recognize how much better Maiden is than Metallica (not even close!), I'm disinclined to pursue your musical recommendations. :cool:

I know what you mean. When people start to rip apart such commercially successful acts as Britney Spears and the Jonas Brothers, it really gets me steamed! :evil:

What the hell are you talking about? "Britney Spears and the Jonas Brothers" are total crap. They will be hard pressed to make the top 1000 bands in ten years...let alone the top five. Selling albums with the full force of the media advertising machine is no gauge of artistic talent.

No offense, but considering that you don't even recognize how much better Maiden is than Metallica (not even close!), I'm disinclined to pursue your musical recommendations. :cool:

I've got you beat on record sales, popularity and musical ingenuity, homey. The eddie poster in your bedroom doesn't make it less true that Metallica > Maiden.

Like I said above.. post a poll and i'll match you song for song. After you maiden fanboys blow your load with three songs I'll still be able to post no less than 10 Metallica songs that people still dig to this day. So, pot the thread so I can keep pointing out how maiden, though an earlier band, didn't have NARY the slightest impact on bringing metal to the peaks that it enjoyed after Metallica.

see, now you are just trying to piss me off into a trademarked Shogun reaction (tm).

5. metallica
4. ac/dc
3. guns n' roses
2. u2
1. pink floyd

and there is much more where that came from.

I agree with all except AC/DC. Not because I think they're ef'n great or anything, I just don't think they're given a material amount of unneccesary "credit."

The other four absolutely, and I too put Pink Floyd at the top. I'd probably add the Doors and The Grateful Dead.

since the doors influenced a lot of bands.....they are not overrated....

Mani.....because you dont like a band that gets a lot of credit,they are overrated?.....what about the band in question do you not agree with?....like the band or not,if they have accomplished something,and get accolades for it,what about those accolades do you not agree with.....

why?

Forum List

Back