5 bands that shouldnt be given as much credit as they do

i'm still waiting for the maiden fans to post a poll so that I can riposte metallica videos at a rate of 6:1

Again, this is what makes it clear as the day is long that you don't really have anything to add to this discussion. First, your outright ignorance regarding metallica's "better with age" crap and second with your opinion of DM. You canadians of Austrailia might want to develop a better taste in music before you say dumb shit in a thread about metal.

Anybody who thinks Metallica is better than Iron Maiden doesn't know their arse from their elbow when it comes to music. Iron Maiden = music. Metallica (especially their early stuf) = White Noise.

I repeat, anybody who even remotely likes Depeche Mode doesn't even have a right to read a music thread, let alone contribute to the discussion. Next thing you know, you'll be quoting Tiny Tim as the great lost icon of the 60s, or that the Monkees gave the Beatles a run for their money.

Stick with Jew-trolling Shoggie - at least you're good for something...

Ditto in reverse. I'll take pre-Load Metallica over Iron Maiden ANY day. Anyone that thinks Maiden is better probably doesn't know jack about Metallica until they went mainstream.

I think you're cuckoo.. Both old Metallica AND Maiden were extremely good. Metallica just stood the test of time better than Maiden, because unfortunately, they caved, and went for quantity over quality.

Depeche Mode? Eh. I actually like the remakes of some of their songs better than the DM originals. :D

I was heavily into hard rock and some strands of metal from the ages of 16-22. In fact, my nickname in the police college (I was 21 when I joined) was Metler due to me blasting Iron Maiden, AC DC and G n R from my dorm room. Interesting, all the other recruits thought it was crap, until Friday nights when we got pissed (that's drunk to you Yanks) and then it was back to "Metler's dorm to crank up the sounds". Then I grew up..:tongue:
Bands I was into at that age (as well as the above) included Thin Lizzy, Van Halen, Sabbath, Zeppelin etc. Couldn't stand WASP, Motley Crue and all those big hair bands...

How could you get the nick "Metler" from AC/DC and GNR? Talk about noise. ACDC is just that, and GNR is hard rock.

I think you're cuckoo.. Both old Metallica AND Maiden were extremely good. Metallica just stood the test of time better than Maiden, because unfortunately, they caved, and went for quantity over quality.

Depeche Mode? Eh. I actually like the remakes of some of their songs better than the DM originals. :D

I was heavily into hard rock and some strands of metal from the ages of 16-22. In fact, my nickname in the police college (I was 21 when I joined) was Metler due to me blasting Iron Maiden, AC DC and G n R from my dorm room. Interesting, all the other recruits thought it was crap, until Friday nights when we got pissed (that's drunk to you Yanks) and then it was back to "Metler's dorm to crank up the sounds". Then I grew up..:tongue:
Bands I was into at that age (as well as the above) included Thin Lizzy, Van Halen, Sabbath, Zeppelin etc. Couldn't stand WASP, Motley Crue and all those big hair bands...

How could you get the nick "Metler" from AC/DC and GNR? Talk about noise. ACDC is just that, and GNR is hard rock.
myself i cant see what the fuss is all about.....i thought ANYBODY into anything LOUD an HARD already knew that JUDAS PRIEST is the band the others look up too.....:eusa_whistle:

but nobody else was the Beatles, could have been the same musical impact as the Beatles, or would have really been as important as the Beatles are to us now...

This is where we disagree.

I agree with Dave. What was the next big name Brit band to invade the US after the Beatles? The Rolling Stones. You think the impact on music would have been the same since the Stones started out with harder, edgier music than the Beatles? Hardly.

The Beatles showed up and sucked everybody in with Love Me Do pop music and over the years developed a harder edge to both music and their sound. They were more musically diverse than the Stones. The Stones played a sound.

You'd have had a completely different British Invasion and sound and you can't say where it would have gone. No one can.

The fact remains, they did come and they had the impact. You're what-iffery amounts to the equivalent of "What if Hitler hadn't invaded Russia?" Fact is, he did.

myself i cant see what the fuss is all about.....i thought ANYBODY into anything LOUD an HARD already knew that JUDAS PRIEST is the band the others look up too.....:eusa_whistle:

Hardly.:lol: I don't like Judas Priest. But that's a personal preference. I'm certainly not going to call them overrated.

Just like I can't even comment on U2. I just about can't stand U2. Anything I say about them would be biased.

I don't even remember who had the OP, but dis'n Floyd and Zeplin is sacrilege. That's just someone in denial. Obviously someone who doesn't know how to roll, nor have a stereo headset for his turntable.:eusa_eh:

Theoretically then- every great band there ever was completely sucks to someone.

I will say this: Elvis Presley is the greatest entertainer ever to die on the toilet...

Hardly.:lol: I don't like Judas Priest. But that's a personal preference. I'm certainly not going to call them overrated.

Just like I can't even comment on U2. I just about can't stand U2. Anything I say about them would be biased.

I don't even remember who had the OP, but dis'n Floyd and Zeplin is sacrilege. That's just someone in denial. Obviously someone who doesn't know how to roll, nor have a stereo headset for his turntable.:eusa_eh:

:eek: Mine still works...

i dont know...i like most music that is loud and has a good SOLID beat.....like Priest and Maiden,Metallica.....etc.

i'm still waiting for the maiden fans to post a poll so that I can riposte metallica videos at a rate of 6:1

Oh... more music videos... that means a lot.. or even worse.. POPULARITY... oh, that means everything in terms of talent :rolleyes: I guess Britney Spears is more talented that SRV ever was :rolleyes:

Maiden was more complex musically, AND lyrically... where Maiden had 2 of the best ever in Bruce and Steve at their respective efforts in metal.. Metallica has none... and the only thing you have going for your argument is popularity

I've been a hard rock and metal head since about 81... and I play bass and have played bass as a paid job.. did that for 4 years before I joined the Army at 22... and I played everything from Metallica, Maiden, Accept, Motorhead, etc.... and I will take ANY Maiden over ANY Metallica every day of the week and twice on Sunday... was Selloutica better before Cliffy died? Yeppers.... but still were not as well rounded or 'good' musically as Maiden...

Oh... more music videos... that means a lot.. or even worse.. POPULARITY... oh, that means everything in terms of talent :rolleyes: I guess Britney Spears is more talented that SRV ever was :rolleyes:

Maiden was more complex musically, AND lyrically... where Maiden had 2 of the best ever in Bruce and Steve at their respective efforts in metal.. Metallica has none... and the only thing you have going for your argument is popularity

I've been a hard rock and metal head since about 81... and I play bass and have played bass as a paid job.. did that for 4 years before I joined the Army at 22... and I played everything from Metallica, Maiden, Accept, Motorhead, etc.... and I will take ANY Maiden over ANY Metallica every day of the week and twice on Sunday... was Selloutica better before Cliffy died? Yeppers.... but still were not as well rounded or 'good' musically as Maiden...

Your opinion. I've listened to both, play guitar, have played on stages, and I'll take Metallica any day and twice on Sundays. I don't dislike Maiden, but they just weren't as good. That's my opinion. Agree to disagree and go back to your corner.

And "Selloutica"? Who are YOU trying to kid? What is your goal as a musician/musical act? To be the best and to make LOTS of money. Are you going to make lots of money on independent labels and playing nightclubs? Nowhere near as much as with a major label and playing mainstream concert venues.

"They sold out their fans." Obviously not if they have MORE fans who STILL pay to hear them and pay LOTS more. And what do the fans do for them? Enjoy their music for a piece of the door and $500. cash? That'll keep 'em warm on a winter night when they're in their 80s.

I get tired of hearing that crap. They were selling out to begin with when they left their garages and trying to make money.

And "Selloutica"? Who are YOU trying to kid? What is your goal as a musician/musical act? To be the best and to make LOTS of money. Are you going to make lots of money on independent labels and playing nightclubs? Nowhere near as much as with a major label and playing mainstream concert venues.

"They sold out their fans." Obviously not if they have MORE fans who STILL pay to hear them and pay LOTS more. And what do the fans do for them? Enjoy their music for a piece of the door and $500. cash? That'll keep 'em warm on a winter night when they're in their 80s.

I get tired of hearing that crap. They were selling out to begin with when they left their garages and trying to make money.

Gunny i have heard this shit from so many Hard Rock guys about Metallica selling out....yet EVERY FUCKING ONE OF THEM.....have the Album that supposedly sold them out......

Gunny,

I understand what you are trying to say, but I have to disagree. Rock history is littered with acts that have made LOTS and LOTS of money that nobody would ever accuse of having sold out. You might consider why Metallica isn't one of them.

And btw: Just because you are tired of hearing something doesn't mean there isn't any truth to it.

yes, actually.. popularity DOES mean a lot. If you need to compare MEtallica with Spears and Nsync then go for it, dude. The fact remains that Metallica is the band that put Metal on the popular map. Like it or not, THEY produced better music and became the icons of metal for damn near an entire decade. Maiden? yea right. I'm sure your Eddieposter having ass can name more than three of their songs.. but, to the REST of us, fanboy, there really is no comparison.

Like I said, 6:1

ps..SRV and Metallica not only write but PLAY their own songs. It's truly hilarious watching you try and disregard the fact of Metallica using our modern Milli Vanillis. For real, dude. YOu don't know what the hell you are talking about.

Maiden had a songwriting bass player and a talented vocalist. WOW. How did the Stars not align every night that Maiden put on a show? :lol:

Not only was Cliff, kirk and James paramount in defining the sound of Metal during that time frame but, AGAIN, I guarentfuckingtee that 6:1 people will recognize metallica riffs over maiden riffs. Guarenfuckingteed. Put that in your musical ability pipe and smoke it, dude.

Remember, stupid.. Justice didn't have Cliff on it and it rocked exponentially harder than ANY fucking maiden album.. Hell, you can even stack a few maidin albums and have Eddie pissing gasoline on them and they would STILL not kick as much ass as Justice.. letalone the earlier albums.

ps,. i don't really give a fuck how long you've been playing.. uh.. bass. Hell, I've been playing guitar since 88 and cut my teeth on the peak of metal. You don't impress me with some early 80s bass playing. Believe it or not there is a reason why there are so many Bass Player jokes.

Last edited:
So, I only read the first page. but here is my list of "overrated" bands:

KISS
AC/DC
U2
REM - Live (the band)is sooo much better, but gets little recognition.
Green Day
Nickleback
Rolling Stones - yeah, I went there
Lynyrd Skynyrd - yaaaawn

I know I'm forgetting someone.......:eusa_drool:

Forum List

Back