.44 magnum is not a self defense round

I've owned a S&W Model 29 with a 6" barrel and a couple Ruger Blackhawks in .44 mag and .41 mag.

Only .44 I have right now is a Uberti Cattleman. It's fun to shoot but I make light loads to keep from wearing it out. The thing is brutal with full factory loads...

cattleman2.jpg
Wearing it out? Over 200,000 rounds through my S&W Model 29 (most of them max-pressure handloads) and it's doing fine.

Or is it?

You can use any gun for self defense.

True. Shot placement matters. You could conceivably use a .22 of you connected up with the heart or a nerve center. But even a heart shot can take time to bleed out. I've heard of deer being shot through the heart with a 30-30 and running until they collapsed.

That's happened a time or two. I'd rather take a deer with a .22 to the head, but I'm probably a minority.

The Israeli IDF uses suppressed Ruger 10/22 rifles to kneecap rock-throwing Palestinian protesters from a distance, when they get too froggy. It's like they rear back to throw a rock and then their leg gives out and they fall to the ground.

:laughing0301:

.30-06 would work better, especially between the eyes.

Or is it?

You can use any gun for self defense.

True. Shot placement matters. You could conceivably use a .22 of you connected up with the heart or a nerve center. But even a heart shot can take time to bleed out. I've heard of deer being shot through the heart with a 30-30 and running until they collapsed.

That's happened a time or two. I'd rather take a deer with a .22 to the head, but I'm probably a minority.

The Israeli IDF uses suppressed Ruger 10/22 rifles to kneecap rock-throwing Palestinian protesters from a distance, when they get too froggy. It's like they rear back to throw a rock and then their leg gives out and they fall to the ground.

:laughing0301:

.30-06 would work better, especially between the eyes.

Every time. :04:

I'm rolling with .38 Special +P+ some bullshit for personal defense. After that, well, I am well-versed with the old Mauser. I wouldn't want to catch any of those bullets. Would not recommend for anyone that wants to live. Wherever it hits ya, you're probably gonna die. They're almost as big as .30-06.

2k+ FPS 140 grains. Not a good thing to catch.

Last edited:
It's a great self-defense round in a short-barreled S&W, but the limited capacity of most revolver's cylinders make them a bad choice. I wouldn't want to get shot at while I was trying to reload.

Glock 19 with 15 in the mag, one in the chamber, and two spare magazines is a better choice.

I'll take my FNX Tactical .45 with 16 rounds.
FNX-45-Tactical-618x412.jpg

Long as he diddnt get 6 rounds of full house 180 grain in your chest!
Of course he wouldn't. I am not stupid. Despite grandpa gunslinger's odd little fantasies, people don't slowly walk up to you and tell you they are going to knock your ass out to rob you. And anyway, it's more likely I'll be the one acting in self defense, when he has a little hissy and reaches for his hip cannon.

yep, one quick swing... grandpa's brains on the wall, all his guns in my pockets.

And you'll probably shoot yourself in the ass.

Of course he wouldn't. I am not stupid. Despite grandpa gunslinger's odd little fantasies, people don't slowly walk up to you and tell you they are going to knock your ass out to rob you. And anyway, it's more likely I'll be the one acting in self defense, when he has a little hissy and reaches for his hip cannon.

yep, one quick swing... grandpa's brains on the wall, all his guns in my pockets.

You know nothing about situational awareness, judging someone's character by their demeanor, they way they're acting, or where their hands are. Most people who carry don't walk down the street with their face in a phone, texting messages.

Trust me, I know about this. All it took was pushing back my coat and putting my had on the visible pistol, and they made a nice wide detour around me.
Of course, that's a lie and never happened. But I would definitely sneak up on you and crack you one, then take what i wanted....if i chose to do so.

Yes, the gun cult thing of admiring firearms and marksmanship and protecting firearm rights is a "goofy" thing, meantime, you are off hiding in a bush somewhere in the dark with a wood bat looking to sneak up on old people to bash their heads in from behind. And that proves what? I mean, besides what we already knew about you?

Seems to me that you're the one having odd little fantasies.

It's a great self-defense round in a short-barreled S&W, but the limited capacity of most revolver's cylinders make them a bad choice. I wouldn't want to get shot at while I was trying to reload.

Glock 19 with 15 in the mag, one in the chamber, and two spare magazines is a better choice.

Those are pretty pistols, especially in the FDE color.

I talked to a police officer this weekend while he was in a Kwik-Trip store buying a box of doughnuts (insert joke here).

He was carrying an FN and said all of La Cross's police officers were using them. They're thinking of changing over to Glocks though.

You know nothing about situational awareness, judging someone's character by their demeanor, they way they're acting, or where their hands are. Most people who carry don't walk down the street with their face in a phone, texting messages.

Trust me, I know about this. All it took was pushing back my coat and putting my had on the visible pistol, and they made a nice wide detour around me.
Of course, that's a lie and never happened. But I would definitely sneak up on you and crack you one, then take what i wanted....if i chose to do so.

Yes, the gun cult thing of admiring firearms and marksmanship and protecting firearm rights is a "goofy" thing, meantime, you are off hiding in a bush somewhere in the dark with a wood bat looking to sneak up on old people to bash their heads in from behind. And that proves what? I mean, besides what we already knew about you?

I'm a member of the "gun culture" and have been for 52 years. I've had a conceal carry permit and have carried every day since 2011. Even though some of my firearms could be called "hunting" guns, I don't hunt that much.

I do collect older guns though, mostly WW2 battle rifles: American Enfields and Springfields, British Enfields, Japanese Arisakas, and German Mausers, and a variety of pistols.

I had two good range days last week: One day I shot up 100 rounds of 6.5 Japanese in a WW2-era Type 38 Arisaka, that I had worked up a handload for. The day before that, I shot 100 rounds of .44 magnum out of a 7" barreled Uberti Cattleman 1873-style revolver, all of which I had loaded. This week it will be some .38 Special I'm working up a load for.

Aside from protection or hunting, firearms are a pastime. No different than golf, or fishing, restoring vintage automobiles, or collecting stamps for that matter. A firearm is nothing more than a machine, and the idea is to tame that machine and get it to shoot the tightest groups you can get.

I'm a member of the "gun culture" and have been for 52 years. I've had a conceal carry permit and have carried every day since 2011. Even though some of my firearms could be called "hunting" guns, I don't hunt that much.

I do collect older guns though, mostly WW2 battle rifles: American Enfields and Springfields, British Enfields, Japanese Arisakas, and German Mausers, and a variety of pistols.

I had two good range days last week: One day I shot up 100 rounds of 6.5 Japanese in a WW2-era Type 38 Arisaka, that I had worked up a handload for. The day before that, I shot 100 rounds of .44 magnum out of a 7" barreled Uberti Cattleman 1873-style revolver, all of which I had loaded. This week it will be some .38 Special I'm working up a load for.

Aside from protection or hunting, firearms are a pastime. No different than golf, or fishing, restoring vintage automobiles, or collecting stamps for that matter. A firearm is nothing more than a machine, and the idea is to tame that machine and get it to shoot the tightest groups you can get.

I've never hand-loaded but my buddy does and says it is enormously cheaper than buying new.

I've never hand-loaded but my buddy does and says it is enormously cheaper than buying new.

Well honestly, it would be cheaper but you end up shooting more.

So no. :laugh:

I talked to a police officer this weekend while he was in a Kwik-Trip store buying a box of doughnuts (insert joke here).

He was carrying an FN and said all of La Cross's police officers were using them. They're thinking of changing over to Glocks though.

The thing is a tack driver and has never jammed through the thousands of rounds I've put through it.

The thing is a tack driver and has never jammed through the thousands of rounds I've put through it.

Maybe I should change from the Glock 19 I'm carrying. It doesn't seem to be all that accurate.

Maybe I should change from the Glock 19 I'm carrying. It doesn't seem to be all that accurate.

They're a little pricey.
As shown expect to pay around $2000 to $2200

They're a little pricey.
As shown expect to pay around $2200

Yikes! Too rich for my pocketbook. I bought my G19 while standing out front a gun show a few years back. You get the best deal from people bringing in their guns to sell or trade.

Forum List

Back