43 years ago today

Care4all

Warrior Princess
Mar 24, 2007
Maine

43 years ago TODAY!

JAWS was released.

And even though I was young and loved to swim and ride the waves, I did not go in the Ocean at the beach for the following 10 years any higher than my knees! :eek: And even then with great trepidation!

43 years ago TODAY!

JAWS was released.

And even though I was young and loved to swim and ride the waves, I did not go in the Ocean at the beach for the following 10 years any higher than my knees! :eek: And even then with great trepidation!
What a wuss.

I manned up. Haven’t been in an ocean since other than crystal clear Caribbean waters where I can see what’s swimming around with me!

We went to Perdido Key this time last month. ME and my oldest got chased out of the water by a YUGE manta ray. He even turned away from us but i didnt care LOL
We are the weakest link in the ocean.

43 years ago TODAY!

JAWS was released.

I hear you. I lived in Florida and that movie scared the ever lovin shit out of me.

I've not gone in the ocean since nor will I.

It was a great movie but made me view the ocean with different eyes.

43 years ago TODAY!

JAWS was released.

What a great movie. It didn't stop me from swimming in the ocean though--I guess I'm too stupid.

(I read the book before the movie came out--maybe that's why I waited so long)

43 years ago TODAY!

JAWS was released.

I was fishing ten or so years ago with some SoCal buddies near the Channel Islands. This Great White minimally 15 feet long comes flying out of the water no more than 75 feet from us with an adult seal in its mouth shaking it violently and blood flying everywhere.

Our captain moved to another spot immediately - Fishing turns bad with one of those babies in the area.

Everyone on that side of the boat saw it - so it wasn't the beer :wink:

Along with Jaws came the reporting of movie earnings for the week. Suddenly we started measuring films by how they did at the box office. Hollywood moguls took notice and the quality independent filmmakers were shunned from the studio system.

Along with Jaws came the reporting of movie earnings for the week. Suddenly we started measuring films by how they did at the box office. Hollywood moguls took notice and the quality independent filmmakers were shunned from the studio system.
As the say goes:
Money talks!

same in politics, not quality....

43 years ago TODAY!

JAWS was released.

I was fishing ten or so years ago with some SoCal buddies near the Channel Islands. This Great White minimally 15 feet long comes flying out of the water no more than 75 feet from us with an adult seal in its mouth shaking it violently and blood flying everywhere.

Our captain moved to another spot immediately - Fishing turns bad with one of those babies in the area.

No lie? OMG that is insane.

If you haven’t seen the documentary about making Jaws it’s worth a look.

The movie basically became a hit because they could never get the damn shark to work while filming. Folks designed, built and tested it in a freshwater facility and all was A-OK, but once it hit saltwater the electronics went all to hell. Sharkless much of the time, Spielberg was forced to improvise and came up with the tactic of shooting the underwater scenes from the shark’s view, meandering around looking for snacks. Once that classic music was matched with the shark’s eye view of the hunt, the audience suspense level just kept growing and growing until, finally, they could get the fish working and shoot a short, bloody scene that scared the heck out of lots of viewers, and the rest is history.

When Matt and I used to live in Massachusetts, we always took a vacation this time of the year to Martha's Vineyard, to go to the JAWS fanclub type of reunion they had there every year around this anniversary time..... Matt's best friend was the head of a JAWS fan club when in high school and he has continued with it for the past 43 years and actually just wrote a book on Jaws....

The hubby has a collection of JAWS memorabilia second to none... much to my dismay, a whole room in our house dedicated to it.... though he has some really really cool stuff and everyone's signature from the film on one piece or another of it....

But anyway, the Martha's Vineyard JAWS reunions were fun and it was the perfect time of the year to visit there, before the fourth of July, when all the hotel prices double, for the tourists!

A few years before the movie came out I did a lot of shark fishing in the Gulf. I was never scared of sharks.

However, when the movie came out I developed an appreciation for the animals and decided I didn't want to kill any more of them for sport.

43 years ago TODAY!

JAWS was released.

Yep no lie, we talk about it to this day - It's permanently etched in our brains. Hasn't kept me out of the ocean though. Still love to surf and snorkel in the tropics. A professional diver once told me: "They're a whole lot more frightened of you than you are of them."

This is a really cool movie if you haven't seen. Based on the true story of champ surfer Bethany Hamilton who lost an arm.

When Matt and I used to live in Massachusetts, we always took a vacation this time of the year to Martha's Vineyard, to go to the JAWS fanclub type of reunion they had there every year around this anniversary time..... Matt's best friend was the head of a JAWS fan club when in high school and he has continued with it for the past 43 years and actually just wrote a book on Jaws....

The hubby has a collection of JAWS memorabilia second to none... much to my dismay, a whole room in our house dedicated to it.... though he has some really really cool stuff and everyone's signature from the film on one piece or another of it....

But anyway, the Martha's Vineyard JAWS reunions were fun and it was the perfect time of the year to visit there, before the fourth of July, when all the hotel prices double, for the tourists!

One of my favorite vacations was a fall leaf peak tour through Vermont and New Hampshire followed by a week on Nantucket. Fell in love with that island - SO much character!

One of my favorite vacations was a fall leaf peak tour through Vermont and New Hampshire followed by a week on Nantucket. Fell in love with that island - SO much character!
the Vineyard is the same as Nantucket, lots and lots of charm and old Victorian homes or classic cedar shake capes....down town shops and a few good beaches.... plus on the vineyard you can visit all the spots from the movie.....

My silly husband knows every word from every character in the movie.... and probably knows every word in Jaws2 as well! :lol: Oh my gosh...... he's really good at it too....he can mimic every character's voice too... not just the words.....! :eek:

43 years ago TODAY!

JAWS was released.

Yep no lie, we talk about it to this day - It's permanently etched in our brains. Hasn't kept me out of the ocean though. Still love to surf and snorkel in the tropics. A professional diver once told me: "They're a whole lot more frightened of you than you are of them."

This is a really cool movie if you haven't seen. Based on the true story of champ surfer Bethany Hamilton who lost an arm.

Thank you, I will check it out.

Forum List

Back