3 Questions for Athiests

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
There are answers that I would respect. Each question defines your intellectual honesty.

1. Have you ever doubted your Athiesm?

2. How did everything come into existence?

3. Do you hope you're wrong?

The first question - I don't believe there has ever been a religious person of any faith who has not doubted their faith at some point. Have you ever looked at a sunset or the complexity of life and maybe thought there may be a creator? Your answer says a lot about you.

The second question - has the universe always been, before and after the Big Bang? Did it create itself? How do you rationalize chaos evolving into order?

The third question - Do you hope that maybe your belief is wrong, that you might see loved ones again after death? Your answer here says a lot about you.

There are answers that I would respect. Each question defines your intellectual honesty.

Define "doubt".

I could be wrong. I'm open to that possibility. I just haven't seen any evidence that I'm wrong.

I don't know.

When you lack narcissism, simply saying "I don't know" is no problem at all. Also understand that we don't fall for the God-of-the-gaps fallacy.

Define "hope".

It would be nice if I lived in a land of Unicorns and Rainbows. Doesn't mean I sit around hoping for it. Hoping for things that ain't gonna happen is pointless.

The first question - I don't believe there has ever been a religious person of any faith who has not doubted their faith at some point. Have you ever looked at a sunset or the complexity of life and maybe thought there may be a creator? Your answer says a lot about you.

The second question - has the universe always been, before and after the Big Bang? Did it create itself? How do you rationalize chaos evolving into order?

The third question - Do you hope that maybe your belief is wrong, that you might see loved ones again after death? Your answer here says a lot about you.

What makes you think you're qualified to judge anyone else? Your answer here says a lot about you.

First, I am not an atheist, but my husband is. We've talked about all the above issues. His thoughts:

1. He is probably better classified as agnostic who leans more in the direction of atheism than faith. He does not see enough evidence for God, and he is not a man of faith.

2. If a Spirit (he thinks more in terms of intelligence) could have eternal existence, he points out that matter may have always existed in the same way. Matter changes form, but here on earth we see the same matter that has always existed. Certainly the sand we see may have once been a rock. The soil we walk on today may one day be rock. He thinks it is possible that both intelligence and matter always was and always will be.

3. Does he hope he will one day see loved ones? Nice thought, but pragmatically his view is that he didn't know his loved ones before entering into this life on earth, so why expect to see them when life on earth is finished. He accepts what may be.

I am not an atheist but an agnostic. I assume its close enough lol
1. yes
2. No one knows. Hard to fathom everything coming from nothing. Then again, we are dumb.
3. No, because then, depending on which god/version is right, I could be punished for eternity. IF I am wrong, I hope to be proven wrong in time to come to terms with everything.

I will bow to a God when they show themself. IDK why they think all our ancestors were the only ones worthy.. especially since we are a lot more intelligent now.. :cool:

Last edited:

Define "doubt".

I could be wrong. I'm open to that possibility. I just haven't seen any evidence that I'm wrong.

I don't know.

When you lack narcissism, simply saying "I don't know" is no problem at all. Also understand that we don't fall for the God-of-the-gaps fallacy.

Define "hope".

It would be nice if I lived in a land of Unicorns and Rainbows. Doesn't mean I sit around hoping for it. Hoping for things that ain't gonna happen is pointless.

What makes you think you're qualified to judge anyone else? Your answer here says a lot about you.
Your answers to 1 and 2 tell how intellectually honest you are. If I said I have always believed in God and never doubted, you'd say I was a crazy loon cultist. Same goes with the reverse. Answer to #3 tells me if you're suffering from a mental illness.

1. yes
2. No one knows. Hard to fathom everything coming from nothing. Then again, we are dumb.
3. No, because then, depending on which god/version is right, I could be punished for eternity. IF I am wrong, I hope to be proven wrong in time to come to terms with everything.

I will bow to a God, when they show themself. IDK why they think all our ancestors were the only ones worthy.. especially since we are a lot more intelligent now.. :cool:
Follow up question- what exactly is it you want God to show you to prove His existence? Ever watch a sunset? Listen to Beethoven? Just curious.

1. yes

I will bow to a God when they show themself. IDK why they think all our ancestors were the only ones worthy.. especially since we are a lot more intelligent now.. :cool:

Sending TNHarley a special picnic basket of>>>>>> God will show himself if you ask...

Matthew 7:7

New Living Translation
"Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you.

1. yes

I will bow to a God, when they show themself. IDK why they think all our ancestors were the only ones worthy.. especially since we are a lot more intelligent now.. :cool:
Follow up question- what exactly is it you want God to show you to prove His existence? Ever watch a sunset? Listen to Beethoven? Just curious.
Yes, and I enjoy both. But that doesn't prove God.
See, I don't necessarily doubt a Supreme Being/Creator, I just don't believe in man-made Gods.
No proof, just a book. And "experiences" people have..
I think us being an experiment for a far superior alien race is just as plausible, if not more than the Abrahamic God.
I think if something was powerful enough to have created this stuff, it wouldn't worry about people being slaves to its existence or burn for eternity.

1. I didn't start out as an atheist. I believed in God and prayed to God as a child. Now I practice a non-theistic religion and no doubts are present about that.

2. How everything came into existence isn't particularly an interest. My religion has no creation story. It's irrelevant.

3. Do I hope I'm wrong, or you're wrong. Kooky question.

I appreciate the beauty and complexity of this dream-like world we live in without needing a "creator".

I think your idea of the universe is limited. My religion teaches that there are three thousand universes.

I know I won't see my loved ones after I die because the personalities aren't eternal.

What is it you seem to be saying in this OP? That you have a pre-concieved idea of how everything exists and why and if someone doesn't agree you judge them lacking. "Your answer says a lot about you."

1. yes

Sending TNHarley a special picnic basket of>>>>>> God will show himself if you ask...

New Living Translation
"Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you.

:)
I gave up on that years ago, EW..
I do, in some ways, think faith is a gift. A gift I cant fathom. I have other opinions about "faith" but I wont get into that. I try to keep my mind open about religion. I find it to be one of the most interesting subjects on the planet.

1. I didn't start out as an atheist. I believed in God and prayed to God as a child. Now I practice a non-theistic religion and no doubts are present about that.

2. How everything came into existence isn't particularly an interest. My religion has no creation story. It's irrelevant.

I appreciate the beauty and complexity of this dream-like world we live in without needing a "creator".

I think your idea of the universe is limited. My religion teaches that there are three thousand universes.

I know I won't see my loved ones after I die because the personalities aren't eternal.

What is it you seem to be saying in this OP? That you have a pre-concieved idea of how everything exists and why and if someone doesn't agree you judge them lacking. "Your answer says a lot about you."
Even if you don't believe in an afterlife there is no part of you hoping that maybe there might be? Interesting.

Even if you don't believe in an afterlife there is no part of you hoping that maybe there might be? Interesting.
I didn't say I don't think there is any life after death. I said the ego, or personal identity of loved ones isn't what contines after dying. Karma and qualities are the only things we carry over into the next life, which isn't guaranteed to be human.

1. yes

See, I don't necessarily doubt a Supreme Being/Creator, I just don't believe in man-made Gods.
I think us being an experiment for a far superior alien race is just as plausible, if not more than the Abrahamic God.
I think if something was powerful enough to have created this stuff, it wouldn't worry about people being slaves to its existence or burn for eternity.
But when you look for evidence of God what are you looking for?
And full disclosure, I used to be agnostic also. Agnostic being derived from the word ignorance, which I now fully understand the link.

I didn't say I don't think there is any life after death. I said the ego, or personal identity of loved ones isn't what contines after dying. Karma and qualities are the only things we carry over into the next life, which isn't guaranteed to be human.
Thanks for the clarification.

Thanks for the clarification.
You're welcome

1. yes

And full disclosure, I used to be agnostic also. Agnostic being derived from the word ignorance, which I now fully understand the link.
his face, his words, a sign that isn't explained by commonsense or basic science. I guess technically, if true, God would be "science".. but that just isn't enough for me..

1. yes

his face, his words, a sign that isn't explained by commonsense or basic science. I guess technically, if true, God would be "science".. but that just isn't enough for me..
All I can say is keep asking. I got all those and more.

1. yes

New Living Translation

:)
I gave up on that years ago, EW..
I do, in some ways, think faith is a gift. A gift I cant fathom. I have other opinions about "faith" but I wont get into that. I try to keep my mind open about religion. I find it to be one of the most interesting subjects on the planet.

I am so glad that you are open ... before I became a christian I always was intrigued like you, yet felt I was watching from the outside looking in at the party.and felt...What is this a special club or something that I am not invited to...lol...

I went on with my life after asking God to show me in a prayer, through the years I began to see ..
In God's time not mine, my spirit started to awaken...lol Most people don't get that overnight jolt I saw God and my whole life has changed..We are Works in Progress..never perfect except through what the cross did for us.

I am a sponsor in AA and we write a letter to God about our Hopes, Dreams, and Desires..
we put that letter away for 6 months ...
God Hands moves slowly and gently , so most of the time we don't see it. Every time we read those letters 6 months later we can see God moving in our life's its crazy true.

Try not to think that being a believer has anything to do with what some crazy religions say to do , some make it seem like you have to be a certain way and change for God, no it is not true. Come to Him as you are..

I haven't been to church in forever, but my pastor rocks...He is a Bald biker..cool dude.

Invalid question, as it presupposes the existence of this "God".

It's like if I said "What is it you want Schnorpenblupple to do to prove Its existence?". Unless you already believe in Schnorpenblupple, it makes no sense.

Forum List

Back