3 in 10 young adults living with their parents

Inflation has nothing to do with people moving back home.

Okay Mr. Precise, lack of career job opportunities, student loan payments, high rent, gradual inflation of utility prices, increasing gas prices, healthcare costs...........is that enough to float your boat?

Bit over kill. Really the important part is the job market. Hence the reason I said to lower the retirement age.

Funny how many of life's problems go away when you have a good-paying job.

Point is...good-paying jobs have been farer and fewer between since 2008.
Therefore, there are too many whom deserve good paying jobs, have the talent and credentials, but are living at home.
Learn to think in the grey zone, as it isn't as cut and dried as you posit.
If you insist to continue in a philosophical perspective of "I've got mine!...now, you get yours'" vein, be my guest; but that only reveals how out of touch with current reality you are, along with revealing what kind of person you are.

Okay Mr. Precise, lack of career job opportunities, student loan payments, high rent, gradual inflation of utility prices, increasing gas prices, healthcare costs...........is that enough to float your boat?

Bit over kill. Really the important part is the job market. Hence the reason I said to lower the retirement age.

Therefore, there are too many whom deserve good paying jobs, have the talent and credentials, but are living at home.
If you insist to continue in a philosophical perspective of "I've got mine!...now, you get yours'" vein, be my guest; but that only reveals how out of touch with current reality you are, along with revealing what kind of person you are.

Where did I ever suggest "I got mine ... now, you get yours" ? I didn't. I suggested nothing of the sort.

Fact is, due to the severe drop in the stock market caused by the Recession, many older workers are not retiring because they can't afford to. If you lower the retirement age, they can then draw full SS payments and many will be able to retire now and afford to be retired. Those jobs would then be filled by younger workers and everyone comes out ahead.

Where did I ever suggest "I got mine ... now, you get yours" ? I didn't. I suggested nothing of the sort.

Fact is, due to the severe drop in the stock market caused by the Recession, many older workers are not retiring because they can't afford to. If you lower the retirement age, they can then draw full SS payments and many will be able to retire now and afford to be retired. Those jobs would then be filled by younger workers and everyone comes out ahead.

I think you would have to fix social security first........

I think you would have to fix social security first........

True. But again, easy fix. Raise the taxable limit for employers.

Sorry (really). Somehere I misconstrued the tone of your post, due to the one-dimensionality of the internet, etc. etc..
Our Gubmint is already broke.......as we pay out more then we produce NOW.
Therefore, lowering the retirement age is hardly the solution, just puts default off, unless a new mega income generating industry comes along, short of a major war.

lower the retirement age.....? why...? so junior can take dad's job.....?

Yes.

If Junior doesn't have a job, he makes no money. When Dad retires he draws SS and his pension and dips into his IRA.

Working Junior + Retired Dad > Jobless Junior + Working Dad

and who is going to pay for the LONGER social security retirement period and medicare tab..not dad...it's junior...!

that means higher prices + higher taxes + shorter work life = way less for junior....

but that miserable life is where Obama has us headed anyway....:eusa_shhh:

lower the retirement age.....? why...? so junior can take dad's job.....?

Yes.

If Junior doesn't have a job, he makes no money. When Dad retires he draws SS and his pension and dips into his IRA.

and who is going to pay for the LONGER social security retirement period and medicare tab..not dad...it's junior...!

that means higher prices + higher taxes + shorter work life = way less for junior....

Asked and answered. Companies can more than make up for this.

Parents are working way past retirement age to support their bong hitting, x-box playing offspring. Some parents have had to go BACK to work when the kids show up and refuse to work. Now I certainly understand that these kids want to start at the very top, and have the corner office on their first day. No one has told them they aren't worth it, go scrub a toilet, start somewhere.

I went through this with my son. I literally had to put him out on the street because retail was too good for a 32 year old with three degrees who never worked before. He wanted time to get one more degree, by changing majors every year. Screw it. Get a job. Sell burgers, mop floors. Something!

Last edited:
Parents are working way past retirement age to support their bong hitting, x-box playing offspring. Some parents have had to go BACK to work when the kids show up and refuse to work. Now I certainly understand that these kids want to start at the very top, and have the corner office on their first day. No one has told them they aren't worth it, go scrub a toilet, start somewhere.

I went through this with my son. I literally had to put him out on the street because retail was too good for a 32 year old with three degrees who never worked before. He wanted time to get one more degree, by changing majors every year. Screw it. Get a job. Sell burgers, mop floors. Something!

Interesting hypothesis. Any links you can provide that show young adults choosing not to work?

Yes.

i see....tax the companies even more.....

did you miss the part....

when prices go up, up, up.....jobs go down, down, down......

Inflation...goes...up...up...up...?

gechart.jpg

I think they can afford it.

gechart.jpg

but will they pay it.....? i doubt it....

GE is the company that took the lightbulb business overseas.....because it's CHEAPER....

junior will be still looking for work....and mom and dad are retired early with no place to live...nor does junior....:eek:

Last edited:

Interesting hypothesis. Any links you can provide that show young adults choosing not to work?

Do you have anything to show that they do? Or are willing to take any job to make money?

However a local researcher says one additional factor might be contributing to the wealth gap: young people have a weaker work ethic, on average.

Jean Twenge, author of Generation Me and professor at SDSU, said younger generations are more likely to say they don't want to work very hard. They value their leisure more and work is generally not the center of their lives, Twenge’s report states.

She cites several studies which agree with this assessment. For example, one study found that younger generations were more likely than Baby Boomers to value freedom from supervision. Many of the younger generation’s respondents were more focused on leisure than work: They wanted a job which allowed them to work slowly and with more vacation time.
"If someone is fine with not having as much money because they don't want to work as many hours, that works," she said. "The problem comes in when people expect both more money and status and fewer work hours -- and that's what this data seems to suggest is occurring."

Source: Younger Generation's Weak Work Ethic May Be Factor in Wide Wealth Gap | NBC San Diego

Younger Generation's Weak Work Ethic May Be Factor in Wide Wealth Gap | NBC San Diego

gechart.jpg

GE is the company that took the lightbulb business overseas.....because it's CHEAPER....

junior will be still looking for work....

Companies do not magically move out of the country over night. Plus, many companies can not move out of the country at all.

Relax.

Yes.

You do understand that most companies actually do reinvest their profits back into their businesses....????

You do understand that most companies actually do reinvest their profits back into their businesses....????

All the time...but in the Obamaville economy? Not so much anymore IF they are to survive.

gechart.jpg

junior will be still looking for work....

Companies do not magically move out of the country over night. Plus, many companies can not move out of the country at all.

Relax.

companies move or go out of business all the time.....you should see them running out of callyfornia and illinois....

those that remain are those that hire all those low-paying "service" jobs.....that's the fastest growing job sector today.....

Forum List

Back