29% of Americans say religion ‘out of date’

Exactly, Smartt33.
For some reason they just can't do it, though. I'm thinking that they are just weak minded people.
What I do find strange is that most are from the left, who do boast about diversity, and are the first to fall short of it.

Jesus. A mythical figure from a primitive Middle Eastern desert people who didn't even speak English. Wore long hair, a beard, sandals and dirty wizards robes. Supposedly believed that a good slave would work at being a "good" slave.

If such a being ever showed up in America, not a single religious leader in this country would give him the time of day. Believe it.
Funny. There's more archeological evidence to prove Jesus' life than that of say Julius Caesar.

Yes and there's all sorts of proof that Harry Houdini existed, strangely none of it proves the man performed miracles.
Ahhhh Harry Houdini. Father of Skepticism and Debunking religious hoaxers. Being from his hometown, I know a little bit about him.

Of course, why was he doing all this? Because he really wanted to know the truth of what existed after death. He wanted proof and strove to find it. During the hight of Spiritualism, he debunked dozens if not hundreds of frauds preying on the public gullibility.

BUT... in all that time he did not deny that there COULD NEVER be anything supernatural. He wanted there to be proof so he could worship it. He never found any that he was satisfied with. He was also unable to escape death to send back a message to his beloved.

Of course, his followers and adherents have turned many of his techniques to disprove frauds into reasons to claim to disprove the supernatural or anything they cannot repeat as balderdash

Funny. There's more archeological evidence to prove Jesus' life than that of say Julius Caesar.

Yes and there's all sorts of proof that Harry Houdini existed, strangely none of it proves the man performed miracles.
Ahhhh Harry Houdini. Father of Skepticism and Debunking religious hoaxers. Being from his hometown, I know a little bit about him.

Of course, why was he doing all this? Because he really wanted to know the truth of what existed after death. He wanted proof and strove to find it. During the hight of Spiritualism, he debunked dozens if not hundreds of frauds preying on the public gullibility.

BUT... in all that time he did not deny that there COULD NEVER be anything supernatural. He wanted there to be proof so he could worship it. He never found any that he was satisfied with. He was also unable to escape death to send back a message to his beloved.

Of course, his followers and adherents have turned many of his techniques to disprove frauds into reasons to claim to disprove the supernatural or anything they cannot repeat as balderdash

That wasn't my intent, I was just saying that proving that Jesus was a real person and proving the man could walk on water, heal blindness, turn water into wine etc. are different things. I only used Houdini because I can't think of any other famous (dead) magicians.

That wasn't my intent, I was just saying that proving that Jesus was a real person and proving the man could walk on water, heal blindness, turn water into wine etc. are different things. I only used Houdini because I can't think of any other famous (dead) magicians.
Even if Houdini did produce miracles, you couldn't prove them beyond what witnesses attest to. Sorta what happened with Jesus really. One of the definition of miraculous is something that could not have happened naturally, happened and cannot be repeated on demand through natural/scientific means.

So I fail to see why this is a point, really.

29% of Americans say religion ‘out of date’ | Raw Story

Only 78% of Americans now identify as Christian, while 22% describe their religious preference as either "other" or "none."

acceptance of fairy tales is starting to fade more and more each day

We are a Christian Nation get over it! Christianity (except with a minute minority dealing with abortion) has become so passive that liberals around the world are able to push them around without recourse!

Most Evangenicals are very peaceful and follow the lessons of Jesus. I think that is why Christianity is getting pushed over by the liberal agenda.

See Muslims don't roll over for liberals and strike back hard; therefore, the liberals choose appeasement and many times outright protection at all costs.

Only 78% of Americans now identify as Christian, while 22% describe their religious preference as either "other" or "none."

The Bible hasn't been updated in 2000 years. Its like God lost interest. Hasn't been a decent miracle in 2000 years either. No ressurections, no parting of seas......but thankfully. no great floods either

False on all accounts.

I know, I know. The 29% are waiting for Jesus to return to make Christianity 'current'. Once that happens, all the non-believing heretics like yourself will be thrown in HELL for all of ETERNITY!

Jesus. A mythical figure from a primitive Middle Eastern desert people who didn't even speak English. Wore long hair, a beard, sandals and dirty wizards robes. Supposedly believed that a good slave would work at being a "good" slave.

If such a being ever showed up in America, not a single religious leader in this country would give him the time of day. Believe it.

There is a possiblity that a Jesus did exists--in fact, thousands of people named jesus could have existed during 4 A.D.

The fact that peerson named jesus did exist is not the problem, it is the religious claims surrounding the "Messiah" that is the problem. Come to think about it, the Jews that exist today still debunk the concept that the messiah has returned, suggesting that Christianity is no more than a Jewish sect that counts one two many prophets.

uh right...

1. Only religious groups perform charity
2. The value contributed by religious groups to the COMMON GOOD exceeds the benefits extracted from government tax breaks.
3. Californian's have all the answers when it comes to what's good for the economy.

NOT.

Wow, talk about rational. Do you somehow think you are showing how smart you are by attacking straw men?

I sometimes wonder if being an Atheist makes people happy. They spend so much time talking about "the truth" and not believing in fairytales. How's that working for ya?
I've yet to meet a single Atheist who's comforted by the fact that this is it and even if their whole world turns to shit, they're relieved to know that THIS is IT and all that ever will be.

I know *I* feel more comforted believing that. :rolleyes:

You know--a lie can comfort, the truth can kill.

Isn't it funny that conservatives will believe in their mystics without any proof or evidence? They also believe in their political leaders, once again without any proof or evidence. How do liars and nutjobs get such a hold on conservatives? For once, can't they listen to someone who is telling the truth? Someone with facts, evidence or data?

facts, evidence, data - the triple threat to American Conservatism.

Isnt it funny that simply because you dont see any evidence you presume there is none at all, but apparently because you dont know, other people who do are stupid to you.

Who exactly is the idiot? the one who doesnt know or the person that does?

Where are the atheists when something bad happens? Whenever there's a natural disaster, a mass tragedy (i.e. the VT shooting rampage), and the perennial issues of the hungry, sick, needy, etc. where are the atheists? And no, I don't mean individuals who don't believe in God, I mean the burgeoning atheist establishment who can afford to buy two copies of the God Delusion and have enough time to pwn people on the Internets for believing in Jesus, but can't manage to grab a ladle and feed someone or donate old clothes or do anything other than bitch about Jesus-juicers.

That is a good question

When a natural disaster strikles, a significant sized tragedy, the atheists are no where to be seen!!! Why is it that atheists run from helping--or is it possible that believers use misfortune to advertise their faith??

The Bible hasn't been updated in 2000 years. Its like God lost interest. Hasn't been a decent miracle in 2000 years either. No ressurections, no parting of seas......but thankfully. no great floods either

Then how does the Catholic church introduce Saints??

Need three miracles to become one.

I know, I know. The 29% are waiting for Jesus to return to make Christianity 'current'. Once that happens, all the non-believing heretics like yourself will be thrown in HELL for all of ETERNITY!

The "religious leaders" in His day tried to trip him up and ignore Him. He spoke TRUTH and made them very angry, He spoke with authority, that they pretended to have. When the faithful followed Him instead of the 'corrupt leaders', the 'leaders' plotted His death, and used the gov to see it thru (kind of like the dems with their agenda), and had Him humiliated and killed.
He tore down their temple and rebuilt it within three days when He rose from the dead. He is the TRUTH and the LIGHT and those that "pretend" He does not exist will bow before Him, the same as those that know He exists. He will judge each person on their faith and their deeds (that leaves the results up to you and Him). I wish you the best of faith.
PS
Most people, when faced with death, will call on the Lord, even if they claimed to "not believe". Old saying: there are no atheists in foxholes.

Your observation of our leadership not giving Him the time of day would be accurate...if He came as He did before. When He comes again, every person will know, the signs will be in the sky and the angels will announce (we will hear the sounds and the vibrations will be strong enough for us to feel them) His coming. His word will be as a two-edged sword (they will not be able to twist the words for their benefit).

Generally, I find those who follow a faith - any faith - more tolerant than those who do not.

Oh that is funny. I've found exactly the opposite. Ask any gay person.

So the homosexuals that go into religious settings are protested and intimidated with threats of violence? There is a big difference between tolerance and acceptance. Those that read the Bible believe homosexuality is a SIN (just like any other sin). When they denounce the sin, homosexuals want to claim persecution, and that is not the case. Some of the non-Christian religions (and communist govs) actually persecute (and execute) homosexuals, but somehow American homosexuals just manage to denounce Christianity, I wonder why?
Many Christians pray that homosexuals will rise above their sinful ways, the same as they pray for those who are promiscuous or have addictions. For homosexuals to claim they are not tolerated in THIS country, is a lie.

I see you've been reading your Bible again. Good for you!!!! America will most likely be destroyed when Jesus returns.

Man's Government is the enemy. In the final battle it will be Satan and his man made Governments against Jesus and his Angels. Guess who wins?

Did you read the Book?

blah, blah BLAH. This is how people of blind faith react, when they are losing the argument. Nonbelief is the fastest-growing worldview in this country. Eventually, belief in Jesus will go the way of belief in Santa; and Good Riddance to the Greatest Lie Ever Sold.

Following the Lord's ways has never been easy. Faith is not about 'popular' ideas. It is the opposite, live according to laws with no men to enforce them (just yourself). It is extremely hard, that is why the world is full of sinners, and that only with the Grace, given by the Lord, can we overcome our own selfish lives to live in His light.
When you don't tell people what they want to hear, they will tell you that they do not like your message, even if it is the only Truth. If a lie will lead them to harm, but is more fun, they will follow the lie, even into death.

Forum List

Back