29% of Americans say religion ‘out of date’

I am Agnostic. My feet loosely planted in the Agnostic grove. I say "loosely" because a stiff wind could send me into the Atheist grove. There is no wind strong enough to blow me back into the grove of the faithful, but I respect their beliefs and wish them well. But there is one thing I have never understood...

Why in the fuck do so many non-believers feel the need to piss all over the beliefs of those who find strength and comfort in religion?

Some of them because if we believe it effects their non belief, or rather their fake nonbelief, you see US believing puts their non belief in jeopardy.

I know, I know. The 29% are waiting for Jesus to return to make Christianity 'current'. Once that happens, all the non-believing heretics like yourself will be thrown in HELL for all of ETERNITY!

Jesus. A mythical figure from a primitive Middle Eastern desert people who didn't even speak English. Wore long hair, a beard, sandals and dirty wizards robes. Supposedly believed that a good slave would work at being a "good" slave.

If such a being ever showed up in America, not a single religious leader in this country would give him the time of day. Believe it.

I see you've been reading your Bible again. Good for you!!!! America will most likely be destroyed when Jesus returns.

Man's Government is the enemy. In the final battle it will be Satan and his man made Governments against Jesus and his Angels. Guess who wins?

29% of Americans say religion ‘out of date’ | Raw Story

Only 78% of Americans now identify as Christian, while 22% describe their religious preference as either "other" or "none."

acceptance of fairy tales is starting to fade more and more each day

I know, I know. The 29% are waiting for Jesus to return to make Christianity 'current'. Once that happens, all the non-believing heretics like yourself will be thrown in HELL for all of ETERNITY!

blah, blah BLAH. This is how people of blind faith react, when they are losing the argument. Nonbelief is the fastest-growing worldview in this country. Eventually, belief in Jesus will go the way of belief in Santa; and Good Riddance to the Greatest Lie Ever Sold.

Generally, I find those who follow a faith - any faith - more tolerant than those who do not.

Oh that is funny. I've found exactly the opposite. Ask any gay person.

Except for a couple religions like Islam, Gays are accepted. Their desire to MARRY is not. Their desire to push their deviant sex in others faces also is not. But Gays can and are members of most religions in the US. OPENLY.

Where are the atheists when something bad happens? Whenever there's a natural disaster, a mass tragedy (i.e. the VT shooting rampage), and the perennial issues of the hungry, sick, needy, etc. where are the atheists? And no, I don't mean individuals who don't believe in God, I mean the burgeoning atheist establishment who can afford to buy two copies of the God Delusion and have enough time to pwn people on the Internets for believing in Jesus, but can't manage to grab a ladle and feed someone or donate old clothes or do anything other than bitch about Jesus-juicers.

Generally, I find those who follow a faith - any faith - more tolerant than those who do not.

Oh that is funny. I've found exactly the opposite. Ask any gay person.

Most of us have no issue with the sexuality of others. We have a problem with having the gay agenda prioritiized over that of others. Most people of faith are quite happy for gays to have the same rights and responsibilities as straight people. What we are not happy with is their unacceptance of us. You're not any more or less important than anyone else. Being gay doesn't make you special so stop acting like you are.

Where are the atheists when something bad happens? Whenever there's a natural disaster, a mass tragedy (i.e. the VT shooting rampage), and the perennial issues of the hungry, sick, needy, etc. where are the atheists? And no, I don't mean individuals who don't believe in God, I mean the burgeoning atheist establishment who can afford to buy two copies of the God Delusion and have enough time to pwn people on the Internets for believing in Jesus, but can't manage to grab a ladle and feed someone or donate old clothes or do anything other than bitch about Jesus-juicers.

Well look, I certainly commend acts of charity from whatever source. I make my own (very modest) acts of charity, and I certainly could do more. But whether or not one engages in charity is not testament to the truth of supernatural beliefs. Or - do you want to say that the only thing prompting you to acts of charity, is that your religion commands it?? If that is the case, I can certainly fault that as a motive for giving. And if it is not the case, then you don't need religion to appreciate the lessons of compassion. And if you don't, then what use are the gods?

Belief in the supernatural - anytime, anywhere - always comes down to politics. Supernatural beliefs entail a system of control - control by powers and principalities not answerable to you, but to whom you are always subject. There is a reason why human beings have an overwhelming tendency to claim divine sanction for their political arrangements - we are naturally inclined to dominate our fellows, and religion provides an instrument ready to hand for this purpose.

"God is Absolute," the religious are fond of saying. But absolute power corrupts, absolutely. Religion is politics. That is what makes the atheists angry - and that is why we are implacably opposed to faith.

Well look, I certainly commend acts of charity from whatever source. I make my own (very modest) acts of charity, and I certainly could do more. But whether or not one engages in charity is not testament to the truth of supernatural beliefs. Or - do you want to say that the only thing prompting you to acts of charity, is that your religion commands it?? If that is the case, I can certainly fault that as a motive for giving. And if it is not the case, then you don't need religion to appreciate the lessons of compassion. And if you don't, then what use are the gods?

Belief in the supernatural - anytime, anywhere - always comes down to politics. Supernatural beliefs entail a system of control - control by powers and principalities not answerable to you, but to whom you are always subject. There is a reason why human beings have an overwhelming tendency to claim divine sanction for their political arrangements - we are naturally inclined to dominate our fellows, and religion provides an instrument ready to hand for this purpose.

"God is Absolute," the religious are fond of saying. But absolute power corrupts, absolutely. Religion is politics. That is what makes the atheists angry - and that is why we are implacably opposed to faith.

Missed the point entirely. We have had studies posted on this board before that claim to prove that the religious give MUCH MUCH more than non believers in all aspects of charity.

Religion is like poetry, beautiful, as long as you do not take it literally.

Death is literal.

Jesus. A mythical figure from a primitive Middle Eastern desert people who didn't even speak English. Wore long hair, a beard, sandals and dirty wizards robes. Supposedly believed that a good slave would work at being a "good" slave.

If such a being ever showed up in America, not a single religious leader in this country would give him the time of day. Believe it.

Geeez, that was really pathetic. :eusa_whistle:

You expected better from rdean?

Haven't met any real muslims have you?

I know enough 'real muslims' to know that they, like most others, are decent, honest, hardworking people. I tend not to consider a persons religious persuasion or sexuality when evaluating them as individuals.

Forum List

Back