2016 Arctic sea ice thread

Ian, that is fucking stupid. You know damned well what that curve means. It does not mean that where the curve hits the zero mark there is going to be an ice free Arctic Ocean. What it does mean, within the plus and minus of the dots on the graph, by the data, that is the most likely time for that to happen. And there is absolutely nothing in that graph that indicates cyclic activity. In fact, there is a definate downward trend.,

You are an ass. I gave you an IPCC graph showing lower ice extents in the 70's before full time satellite coverage. Strong evidence of cyclical behaviour. At the very least proof that there is not a steady downward trend in IE.

Next, I said 20 years for ice free conditions instead of the three years for November and five years for December, as indicated on the SkS graph. Like I said, anyone who believes the Arctic Ocean will be ice free in winter is a fucking idiot. Obviously that includes you.

Well now, Ian, how many ships transited the Northwest Passage in the seventies? A 900 passenger cruise ship did last summer. How many ships used the Northeast Passage without an icebreaker in the seventies. If what we see is cyclic, why did no one use the Northwest Passage in the seventies?

What do you think will stop the trend Ian?

I don't make a habit of making predictions.

My question to you. Do you think there will be a Christmas Day any time in the next 20 or 50 years where the Arctic is ice free? That SkS graph predicted it happening in the 2020's.

I think it is a nonsensical result and should not have been released. What do you think?

BPIOMASIceVolumeAprSepCurrent.png

Here's one from PIOMAS directly. These data obviously suggest that without some dramatic change in radiative forcing, both the mininum and the maximum will eventually hit zero. That the complete disappearance might be in my children's lifetime but not mine doesn't give me much comfort. Why do you seem to think it should?

BPIOMASIceVolumeAprSepCurrent.png

Here's one from PIOMAS directly. These data obviously suggest that without some dramatic change in radiative forcing, both the mininum and the maximum will eventually hit zero. That the complete disappearance might be in my children's lifetime but not mine doesn't give me much comfort. Why do you seem to think it should?

There you have it folks. Crick thinks the Arctic will be ice free in the darkness of winter.

So apparently do the people at the University of Washington;

Polar Science Center . Applied Physics Laboratory . University of Washington . 1013 NE 40th Street . Box 355640 . Seattle, WA 98105-6698

Voice: 206-543-6613 . Fax: 206-616-3142 . E-mail: [email protected]

Now Ian, I suppose that you, like Silly Billy, are going to claim to know much more than the people at the University of Washington. It is their data from which the graph is constructed. Are you stating that their data is fraudulent? Or that you are better able to interpret their data better than them.

By the way, little ship Northabout is back home in Bristol now, after circling the Arctic in one season.

I just mention that because a few deniers said it was impossible, and that they'd all die.

They could have gotten home much sooner, but after running the Northwest Passage, they went on a sightseeing tour of western Greenland, and then Ireland, after a brutal North Atlantic crossing.

The fact those forcings were sun and orbit related, and the effect ceased as soon as the forcing changed. The CO2 that we have put into the atmosphere is a long term forcing, and we are only beginning to see the effects of the forcing at present.

You are an ass. I gave you an IPCC graph showing lower ice extents in the 70's before full time satellite coverage. Strong evidence of cyclical behaviour. At the very least proof that there is not a steady downward trend in IE.

And we've given you graphs going back further, that show you "cycles" claim is false. If you disagree, please explain where you see a cycle here.

Seaice-1870-part-2009.png

Given the commonality of folks like you, what's to stop it Ian?

what stopped the MWP or Roman Warm Period? or the LIA?

They weren't anthropogenic.

so past warm and cold periods were caused and stopped by natural influences of undetermined type and magnitude. but that can't happen anymore, right? the solar maximum from ~1910-2000 had nothing to do with 20th century warming, right?

hahahahaha.

hey Crick.....do you ever have any ideas? you are the most boring and predictable parrot on this board, perhaps with the exception of Old Rocks.

jc just puts together random words and by chance occasionally says something interesting and thought provoking. but you...not so much.

I'm sure a solar maximum would have an effect, but the increase in radiative energy the Earth received was not enough to have caused the warming observed. That is an old observation.

hey Crick.....do you ever have any ideas? you are the most boring and predictable parrot on this board, perhaps with the exception of Old Rocks.

jc just puts together random words and by chance occasionally says something interesting and thought provoking. but you...not so much.

Then why do you bother talking to me?

The fact those forcings were sun and orbit related, and the effect ceased as soon as the forcing changed. The CO2 that we have put into the atmosphere is a long term forcing, and we are only beginning to see the effects of the forcing at present.

The Sun is different? Our orbit is different?

Forum List

Back