2006 Senate Races

acludem

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2003
Missouri
Here are the open seats in 2006 - Maryland (Sarbanes-D), Minnesota (Dayton-D), Tennessee (Frist-R), Vermont (Jeffords - I), New Jersey (Corzine -D). Other Senators up for re-election that may have a close race: Stabenow D-MI, Talent R-MO, Santorum R-PA, Chaffee R-RI. There are also several other Freshman incumbents: Nelson D-FL, Nelson D-NE, and Cantwell D-WA.

My honest opinion is that Democrats might be able to regain control of the Senate, but we will definitely be able to make it lot tighter. The open seats in Maryland, Minnesota, and New Jersey will likely remain in Democratic hands. I think we have a strong chance to gain seats in Tennessee, Missouri, Pennsylvania and Rhode Island. Our toughest re-election will be in Washington with Maria Cantwell and in Michigan with Debbie Stabenow, but I think we will hold both of these seats.

It's gonna be a close election year!

acludem

Will Corzine's seat be open even if by some odd chance in hell he loses the governors race?

acludem said:
Here are the open seats in 2006 - Maryland (Sarbanes-D), Minnesota (Dayton-D), Tennessee (Frist-R), Vermont (Jeffords - I), New Jersey (Corzine -D). Other Senators up for re-election that may have a close race: Stabenow D-MI, Talent R-MO, Santorum R-PA, Chaffee R-RI. There are also several other Freshman incumbents: Nelson D-FL, Nelson D-NE, and Cantwell D-WA.

My honest opinion is that Democrats might be able to regain control of the Senate, but we will definitely be able to make it lot tighter. The open seats in Maryland, Minnesota, and New Jersey will likely remain in Democratic hands. I think we have a strong chance to gain seats in Tennessee, Missouri, Pennsylvania and Rhode Island. Our toughest re-election will be in Washington with Maria Cantwell and in Michigan with Debbie Stabenow, but I think we will hold both of these seats.

It's gonna be a close election year!

acludem

Here's my take about these races:
Sarbanes D-MD: I haven't heard much, but I know that MD leans Dem. So I say this stays Dem.
Dayton D-MN: The GOP is really gearing up for this one. The Midwest is becoming more and more Republican with every election. With the right candidate, this swings to the GOP column.
Frist R-TN: Tennessee is safely GOP, though my opinion of Frist is not very high.
Jeffords I-VT: This will be a Dem "pickup," although Jeffords is basically a Dem anyway.
Corzine D-NJ: While I would love for the GOP to win here, I don't think it will happen. Dem hold.
Stabenow D-MI: Haven't heard much on this one, but based on recent elections, I'll call it a Dem hold.
Talent R-MO: acludem, I know this is your state, so you probably know more about this race than anyone here, but I think that this is a GOP hold.
Santorum R-PA: The biggest race in 2006. Probably too close to call, but I think that Santorum will hold on.
Chaffee R-RI: Last I heard, Chaffee was going to run again, in which case this is a GOP hold.
Nelson D-FL: GOP pickup. The FL Dems are losing the state.
Nelson D-NE: I'm not sure where Nelson stands in relation to the other Senate Dems, but you can bet that the GOP will be gunning for this heartland seat. Possible GOP pickup.
Cantwell D-WA: As much as I hate to say this, WA is a blue state. Dem hold.

Overall, the GOP picks up 2-3 seats, giving them a 57-58 seat total.

Forum List

Back