Bush violates Civil Rights Act

SpidermanTuba

Rookie
May 7, 2004
New Orleans, Louisiana
In using Miers' religion as part of the basis for her selection, Bush is in violation of the Civil Rights Act.

"PRESIDENT BUSH: People ask me why I picked Harriet Miers. They want to know Harriet Miers' background; they want to know as much as they possibly can before they form opinions. And part of Harriet Miers' life is her religion. Part of it has to do with the fact that she was a pioneer woman and a trailblazer in the law in Texas. I remind people that Harriet Miers is one of the--has been rated consistently one of the top 50 women lawyers in the United States. She's eminently qualified for the job. And she has got a judicial philosophy that I appreciate; otherwise I wouldn't have named her to the bench, which is--or nominated her to the bench--which is that she will not legislate from the bench, but strictly interpret the Constitution."

I wouldn't call myself enthusiastic about Ol' Eyeliner's nomination, but I don't think your lawsuit's going to hold up. A President is not subject to civil rights laws in making a selection for the Supreme Court.

SpidermanTuba said:
In using Miers' religion as part of the basis for her selection, Bush is in violation of the Civil Rights Act.

"PRESIDENT BUSH: People ask me why I picked Harriet Miers. They want to know Harriet Miers' background; they want to know as much as they possibly can before they form opinions. And part of Harriet Miers' life is her religion. Part of it has to do with the fact that she was a pioneer woman and a trailblazer in the law in Texas. I remind people that Harriet Miers is one of the--has been rated consistently one of the top 50 women lawyers in the United States. She's eminently qualified for the job. And she has got a judicial philosophy that I appreciate; otherwise I wouldn't have named her to the bench, which is--or nominated her to the bench--which is that she will not legislate from the bench, but strictly interpret the Constitution."

Huh. Well good luck with that.

SpidermanTuba said:

Earth to Einstein ..... care to explain just HOW Bush violated a Civil Rights law?

Or is this just another one of "those" threads?

well ST is back....things ought to get interesting for a few weeks then.

I am going to have to agree with the others. are you going to bother us with how the President specifically violated this civil rights act?

And part of Harriet Miers' life is her religion.
Yer going to have to have something much more specific and concrete
than that. Even in the context of the proceeding sentence
They want to know Harriet Miers' background; they want to know as much as they possibly can before they form opinions.
it goes nowhere, religion of what? Synonyms of religion: adoration, bent, connection, conscientiousness, consecration, creed, devotion, faithfulness, fidelity, morality, observance, persuasion, preference, sacrifice, standards. Pick one, the defense will. ;)

This will not a case make, cept in the Bush Haters mind.

• Banned
William Joyce said:
I wouldn't call myself enthusiastic about Ol' Eyeliner's nomination, but I don't think your lawsuit's going to hold up. A President is not subject to civil rights laws in making a selection for the Supreme Court.

Hmm, perhaps you can tell us which part of the Civil Rights Act says that.

So if the President said he nominated Miers because she is white - that wouldn't be a violation of law?

GunnyL said:
Earth to Einstein ..... care to explain just HOW Bush violated a Civil Rights law?

Or is this just another one of "those" threads?

The Civil Rights Act prohibits employers - or the one doing the hiring for the employer - from discriminating base on religion, race, or national origin. Bush has clearly stated Miers' religion to be part of the reason he nominated her - a clear violation.

well ST is back....things ought to get interesting for a few weeks then.

I am going to have to agree with the others. are you going to bother us with how the President specifically violated this civil rights act?

How can you get more specific? He chose her partly based on her RELIGION. The Civil Rights Act PROHIBITS you from hiring someone, in whole or in part, BASED ON THEIR RELIGION.

theim said:
Religious people aren't allowed to be in government. Everybody knows this.

WTF are you talking about? He's free to nominate anyone he wants - he just can't use religion or the lack thereof as a basis for his decision. Can you understand this?

Mr. P said:
Yer going to have to have something much more specific and concrete
than that. Even in the context of the proceeding sentence it goes nowhere, religion of what? Synonyms of religion: adoration, bent, connection, conscientiousness, consecration, creed, devotion, faithfulness, fidelity, morality, observance, persuasion, preference, sacrifice, standards. Pick one, the defense will. ;)

This will not a case make, cept in the Bush Haters mind.

Context? He states that people ask him why he nominated her. He then enumerates a list of reasons. What's not to understand?

Funny - nowhere in the COnstitution or in the Civil Rights Act are any of those synonyms used. I think both the writers of the Constitution and the Civil Rights act and YOU know damn well what is meant by religion. If you don't, go back to primary school.

SpidermanTuba said:
WTF are you talking about? He's free to nominate anyone he wants - he just can't use religion or the lack thereof as a basis for his decision. Can you understand this?

And why not? Care to point out where in the constitution it says religiosity cannot be a criteria to be considered?

SpidermanTuba said:
Context? He states that people ask him why he nominated her. He then enumerates a list of reasons. What's not to understand?

Funny - nowhere in the COnstitution or in the Civil Rights Act are any of those synonyms used. I think both the writers of the Constitution and the Civil Rights act and YOU know damn well what is meant by religion. If you don't, go back to primary school.
What I know is you must PROVE what he said was what you think he said.
Get over it..There is no case, and I learnt that in primary school.

SpidermanTuba said:
The Civil Rights Act prohibits employers - or the one doing the hiring for the employer - from discriminating base on religion, race, or national origin. Bush has clearly stated Miers' religion to be part of the reason he nominated her - a clear violation.

Bush did not state that was part of the selection criteria, he stated that her religion was part of her after he explained that people wanted to know all about her. This is simply ideologically based criticism based on an assumption that because he stated she was Christian that it was why she was selected.

SpidermanTuba said:

Uh huh. Might wanna take another, closer, post-kindergarten-level look at it.

SpidermanTuba said:

No Bush puts it in context when he states "people want to know all about her" then states that her religion is part of that. He then goes on to state why he nominated her, saying that she was immenently qualified (on this he and I disagree).

It doesn't matter if they were used, Bush never stated he used religion in his selection process.

SpidermanTuba said:

Think you need to read the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Notwithstanding any other provision of this title, (1) it shall not be an unlawful employment practice for an employer to hire and employ employees, for an employment agency to classify, or refer for employment any individual, for a labor organization to classify its membership or to classify or refer for employment any individual, or for an employer, labor organization, or joint labor-management committee controlling apprenticeship or other training or retraining programs to admit or employ any individual in any such program, on the basis of his religion, sex, or national origin in those certain instances where religion, sex, or national origin is a bona fide occupational qualification reasonably necessary to the normal operation of that particular business or enterprise, and (2) it shall not be an unlawful employment practice for a school, college, university, or other educational institution or institution of learning to hire and employ employees of a particular religion if such school, college, university, or other educational institution or institution of learning is, in whole or in substantial part, owned, supported, controlled, or managed by a particular religion or by a particular religious corporation, association, or society, or if the curriculum of such school, college, university, or other educational institution or institution of learning is directed toward the propagation of a particular religion.

One major problem with the civil rights act is its completely irrelevant to judicial nomination process. it puts restrictions on employers who are hiring. What does that have to do with the anything? The President isnt hiring Miers to be a Supreme Court Justice. He is nominating her to the Supreme Court. If The President is supposedly hiring her. Then he should have the power to fire any member on the court.

Forum List

Back