2001 A Space Odyssey Is Now 50 Years Old

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
Instead of having space stations and moon bases we can't even get an astronaut into space.

still-of-keir-dullea-in-2001:-a-space-odyssey-(1968)-large-picture.jpg

We put astronauts into space all the time along with satellites and pilotless shuttles..To include tourist flights...

If we'd in the 60s stopped wasting money on welfare, social justice crap and enemy foreign nations, we'd probably have our infrastructure rebuilt AND a warp drive by now.

Instead of having space stations and moon bases we can't even get an astronaut into space.

Here is a concept drawing of a space station in 1952 by Werner Von Braun, father of the space program:

vonbraun_wheel.jpg

Looks a lot like the station in 2001, doesn't it? Like most things, mankind lags far behind the vision of fiction largely because man is far too busy making war with himself and trying to steal from his brother.

We put astronauts into space all the time along with satellites and pilotless shuttles..To include tourist flights...

Snowflakes are too busy complaining to notice.

Great movie- I always get nostalgic when I see the Pan Am shuttle...

Still an awesome movie!
I always thought it pretentious and overrated

Same goes for Clockwork Orange
C'mon!

Open the pod bay doors and let the genius of Stanley Kubrick wash over you.

2001: A Space Odyssey is the seminal six-fi movie of the age. The pacing, the story and the cinematography are beyond praiseworthy.

Still an awesome movie!

C'mon!

2001: A Space Odyssey is the seminal six-fi movie of the age. The pacing, the story and the cinematography are beyond praiseworthy.
I remember seeing it when it came out
Visually spectacular
But the story? Inferred much more than it delivered

The whole monolith thing and apes pounding bones was so contrived

Not something I watch for old times sake. There were much better films from that era

Still an awesome movie!

C'mon!

Visually spectacular

Not something I watch for old times sake. There were much better films from that era
Isn't it more inspiring to allow the inferences make the story than have everything laid out before you? Seeing the apes develop technology juxtaposed against the most effective jump cut in the world to a space station was inspired film making.

But your point of films of that era is not off the mark. I saw films like Midnight Cowboy, The Godfather, The Graduate, Patton, The Sting, Taxi Driver and A Clockwork Orange before I saw Star Wars. Remember, Star Wars was marketed as akid's movie. It was during my one and only screenplay nag of Star Wars in the summer of 1977 that I was first called 'sir'. Of course it was followed by 'please leave the theater. You're drunk and making a scene', but I got that 'sir'!

Here is a concept drawing of a space station in 1952 by Werner Von Braun, father of the space program:

View attachment 187512

Looks a lot like the station in 2001, doesn't it? Like most things, mankind lags far behind the vision of fiction largely because man is far too busy making war with himself and trying to steal from his brother.
A lot of people were pushing for a space station before we got to the moon. They knew once we got to the moon people would lose interest. A space station would have been an anchor for keep going. They made a feeble attempt with Skylab afterwards, but that was just a McGyvered tin can.

Still an awesome movie!

C'mon!

Visually spectacular

Isn't it more inspiring to allow the inferences make the story than have everything laid out before you? Seeing the apes develop technology juxtaposed against the most effective jump cut in the world to a space station was inspired film making.

But your point of films of that era is not off the mark. I saw films like Midnight Cowboy, The Godfather, The Graduate, Patton, The Sting, Taxi Driver and A Clockwork Orange before I saw Star Wars. Remember, Star Wars was marketed as akid's movie. It was during my one and only screenplay nag of Star Wars in the summer of 1977 that I was first called 'sir'. Of course it was followed by 'please leave the theater. You're drunk and making a scene', but I got that 'sir'!
Don’t get me started on Star Wars

Forum List

Back