200 UCF Students Caught Cheating - One-third of Class

Discussion in 'Education' started by Dante, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Dante

Dante On leave Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    Two hundred students, approximately one-third of the class of seniors, were believed to have received advanced copies of the exam. It was the largest cheating scandal in the university's history.

Quinn, who called the scandal "a knife to my heart, calculated exactly who'd cheated, and then gave the entire class a dressing down.

"To say I'm disappointed is beyond comprehension," he said. "Physically ill, absolutely disgusted, disillusioned, trying to figure out what the last 20 years were all about."

- Widespread Cheating Scandal Prompts Florida Professor to Issue Unusual Ultimatum - ABC News

------

What interests me is that ABC showed footage of a student saying "everybody cheats" and the student said it would be difficult to find somebody in the testing site on campus that hasn't cheated.

I've never cheated on a test. I guess I never felt the need to. But is the student's view a popular one? Do most people think others cheat on tests so it make it okay for them to cheat?

Should the students be denied graduation? Should they have that second chance to retake the test? what about those who didn't cheat and now have to come from a class that is known to have cheated?

:eusa_eh:

2. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    The teacher is making all 600 students retake the exam, whether they cheated or not.

3. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Mathematician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    With the cheating that widespread, I'd force a retake too.

As a professor, the policy in my class is if I catch you, I toss your test, give you a zero, and report you to the Dean of Students. The problem comes at that level though. I've been at Universities where the Dean of Students refuses to punish cheating, or levys a very very weak penalty. When I was a TA, there were some pretty wild cheating scams caught and busted. Very few students actually faced expulsion over the issue though.

I can vouch that students do cheat if you do not engage in active proctoring practices. They'll program extensive notes into calculators, use their smart phones to hit the web, take pictures of the test in progress and send them to friends, send ringers to take tests, etc. I know for a fact the local Frats have pretty extensive files on past tests used by professors.

So the long story short (too late :) ) is that cheating is pretty rampant. For every one we catch I'm sure at least 5 go uncaught.

4. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,046
    its just so easy to get information these days. Back when i was in college one of the physics profs was known for using like a 5 year cycle for his test questions. Students had been saving copies for years, and passing them along to incoming freshmen.

The funny thing is the bastards tests still took 5 hours even when you knew basically what was on it.

Nowadays that info can be scanned and saved for all to see.

5. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    Yeah, but why cheat? Seriously, it's something I've never done. I had friends who would ask me what an answer was, but I never asked anyone for an answer. It's like cheating at solitaire for me.

6. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    pretty sad. no wonder American business leaders are so friggin' stupid.

7. IanC

IanC Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,448
    the poblem is similar to taking steroids. if you think everyone else is doing it, cheating is hard to resist.

of course it may just be foolishness like those students that got caught cheating in "Stand and Deliver", even though they were able to pass the retest.

8. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    I agree. But still, there are some things I don't understand about cheating. I understand why some people do it, I just don't understand why people don't 'beef-up' before tests. Isn't a challenge a personal things?

Why cheat yourself?

9. IanC

IanC Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,448

I agree. but then I was never on the bubble either. and I remember going to study groups that had copies of previous exams. was that cheating or just a gray area?

10. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404
    I would push for a retesting of everyone.

This is sorta of a hard questions for me. I know i would tell people what was on tests and the right answers. Was that cheating?

Funny story here though. It was 2am and the phone was ringing, it was a wrong number. A minute later they called back. Somehow my phone number was mis posted for someone in the microbiology department of a college i DID NOT ATTEND. They were desperate for some answer on some test coming up. I told them take my number off of the damn list, tell whoever who is putting out the list that they have the wrong number for who ever it is they want...but the answer you need is this.

True story

:thup: