Black Male Achievement: Cause Not Only Poverty

Discussion in 'Education' started by Annie, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Culture seems to be playing a large part:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/09/education/09gap.html?_r=2&hpw

Note that the Times is careful to not underestimate the fact that blacks have higher poverty rates and infant mortality rates. What is very troubling is that this report does seem to give a glimmer to what happens to black males in universities and why so few get to that point in the educational system, regardless of socioeconomic factors.

Black females do not have the same pull down of grades, when socioeconomic factors are considered. Thus any 'genetic arguments' seem to be a non-starter, (got that Storm Front brigade?)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,101
    Well...we better spend some more money!
    Maybe the teachers aren't paid enough, and they need more computers!
    I think we should paint the walls of the school a different color...let's try that too.
    Maybe their parents aren't getting enough food stamps, housing assistance and free healthcare. Maybe we should expand affirmative action and change the grade scale so that they look smarter on paper.

Or maybe we should realize that there is a systematic, crushing problem in black culture that continues to blow any chance of success among their children and no matter how much money we throw at the problem - it will continue until the culture changes.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,101
    BTW...there is an acronym that white kids say about black students in colleges, around here at least.
    O.B.T...."On Black Time"...black students, especially males, arrive to class late and leave early.

4. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,784
    Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anything in the article about black females...where are you getting your information on them?

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Statistics. Black females are just behind white females in college graduation rates. White males significantly behind black females, black males way down there.

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Bill Cosby was saying the same years ago and was vilified for it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,101
    You bet.
    Back people are sensitive about giving up their position of getting free stuff.
    Think about this..
    You can spend 4 years of your young life - where EVERYTHING is paid for 100%. Your food, clothing, and shelter - all paid for by the government. All you have to do is make appearances a few times a day in a classroom. You don't have to maintain good grades like white kids do - because colleges absolutely will NOT kick minorities out of their school...no way no how.

So from the get-go - the black students are set up to fail. Money/Shelter/Food/Clothing - all given to them for free regardless of their performance.
    I guarantee you that white kids would be doing equally as bad if they had no fear of losing their grants.

8. topspin

topspin BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +196
    duhh!!! thug life
    not all, but way too many. With way less % having fathers at home to fend off the thugs. It's a serious problem that has to be solved from within.

On a side note, black middle school kids have made serious improvements since Obama took office.

9. American Horse

American Horse AKA "Mustang"

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +938
    " - Only 12 percent of black fourth-grade boys are proficient in reading, compared with 38 percent of white boys, and only 12 percent of black eighth-grade boys are proficient in math, compared with 44 percent of white boys.

Poverty alone does not seem to explain the differences: poor white boys do just as well as African-American boys who do not live in poverty, measured by whether they qualify for subsidized school lunches. - "

I was shocked to see the institutional racism in the South when I lived in NC between 1961 and 1964 as a young man in the US Marine Corps. But as I travel to and from the North to the South in recent years I find the southern blacks are more universally assimilated than they are in the North. I deduce that from the jobs I see them doing and the level of their english language acculteration; they do not reject the "king's english" as do the northern blacks who often substitute a form of pidgen english. There is a deliberateness to that rejection; using the word "axe" for the common word to "ask;" consider that that even defies a rational system of spelling and writing let alone speaking clearly. This is not isolated but almost universal, and goes even further with an inner city dialect called "ebonics"

Their choice of a pidgen english has not benefitted them in fitting in; in fact it tends to seperate them from the greater society. Seperating oneself from the over-arching acceptable medium of communications is a self crippling decision; even more so to the next generation which has become deeply imbedded in the lexicon, and for males which lack any suitable male role models because of the destruction of the family resulting from failed poverty programs.

Blacks in the South seem to oftentimes, or more often than not have even better english speaking skills than many of their white brethren. It is a fact that in the South they do not seperate themselves into seperate racial groups as we find so much in the North, as witnessed by the experience I always have when walking into our university "Union Building," seeing the black students grouping themselves almost exclusively by themselves.

There has been no effort to segregate, the races, in fact every effort has been made to force integration. Only recently has bussing been discontinued here in Indianapolis and Louisvilly, Ky schools which was used for decades to enforce a balanced racial mixture.

10. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,784
    Okay.

I heard an interesting discussion that pointed out a big problem in poor (and in this case black) families is that the mothers don't have an extensive vocabulary with which to speak to their kids and/or they have not embraced all the little get ahead tricks that people that in the burbs embrace (black and white toys for infants, etc).

Not sure how that fits in with the boy vs. girl learning curve though.

I find it rather shocking that the white literacy level is also pretty low by fourth grade.