200.000 "islaves" Don´t Manage To Make Enough Iphone 6

I don't recall slaves making wages or being able to quit.
Their wage is a joke and is not even adequate to rent an apartment (not to mention further costs of living, electricity, food, etc), the working and living conditions inside the facilities are terrible and there are many students who are forced to work for Foxconn if they want to finish their studies.
I didn't say developing economies were ideal, but to compare it to slavery is an insult to those who actually suffered, and suffer today, under actual slavery.
Your life doesn´t improve when you are not an official slave but nevertheless live under slavish conditions. Why are you whining? Wouldn´t the 200.000 China jobs make 200.000 - 300.000 well payed US jobs if the iPhone would be domestically produced?
Except choosing to work for Foxconn because it's your best option is not working under "slavish conditions." Slavish conditions would be if somebody kidnapped you and forced you to work for nothing under the threat of death. It doesn't matter to me where the iPhone is produced, because I'm not a protectionist or a nationalist. Producing the iPhones at Foxconn makes Apple and the workers at Foxconn better off, otherwise they wouldn't do it. I'm afraid I can't find a problem with that.
It is economical and in the end political suicide. Foxconn´s suicide nets won´t help. Billions of Dollars "escape" from the US national economy lowering the American purchasing power and therefor increase the iPhone´s price compared to the wage. Furthermore, foreign companies may not buy ground in China, must cooperate in an joint-venture with a Chinese company and give the company´s know how to Chinese authorities. In political tensions with China, China has 4 Trillion Dollar reserve. China holds US debts worth 1,2 Trillion $. And there are all the goods, China could lock at any time.
The market doesn't know the difference between Chinese and American. As for working with a Chinese company, who cares? Yes, China holds American debt, that they can do nothing with. The U.S. is never paying them back. If they make any demands the U.S. stops making payments and they hurt themselves as much as they hurt the U.S. Again, however, it boils down to Apple, the producer of the iPhone, and the employees of Foxconn having come to a mutually beneficial arrangement, which they obviously have. Nobody has a right to stop them, and if you were really concerned with the plight of those employees you wouldn't be advocating Apple move production to the U.S. and putting them out of work.

The article is misleading.
Everything said about Foxconn is true. They are basically slaves. Working conditions and hours are horrifying. Etc. etc.
What is misleading is Foxconn manufactures components for EVERY major electronics company in the world. That Dell laptop you are typing on? Foxconn. That Kindle Fire you like? Foxconn.
Xbox? Playstation?....yep...Foxconn.
It is disingenuous to pick out Apple products and say "look how terrible Apple is"....when even that refrigerator you keep your beer in also has Foxconn components.
They are everywhere.

The article is misleading.
Everything said about Foxconn is true. They are basically slaves. Working conditions and hours are horrifying. Etc. etc.
What is misleading is Foxconn manufactures components for EVERY major electronics company in the world. That Dell laptop you are typing on? Foxconn. That Kindle Fire you like? Foxconn.
Xbox? Playstation?....yep...Foxconn.
It is disingenuous to pick out Apple products and say "look how terrible Apple is"....when even that refrigerator you keep your beer in also has Foxconn components.
They are everywhere.
But this isn´t a "look how terrible Apple is"-thread. Its just their own fault, when they decide to produce abroad.
Dozens of Foxconn s Xbox 360 production line workers threaten suicide GamesBeat Games by Jacob Lopez

Last edited:
Their wage is a joke and is not even adequate to rent an apartment (not to mention further costs of living, electricity, food, etc), the working and living conditions inside the facilities are terrible and there are many students who are forced to work for Foxconn if they want to finish their studies.
I didn't say developing economies were ideal, but to compare it to slavery is an insult to those who actually suffered, and suffer today, under actual slavery.
Your life doesn´t improve when you are not an official slave but nevertheless live under slavish conditions. Why are you whining? Wouldn´t the 200.000 China jobs make 200.000 - 300.000 well payed US jobs if the iPhone would be domestically produced?
President Obama confronted Steve Jobs about why he didn't produce any of their trendy pocket 'puters here before Steve died. Good on Mr. President.

President Obama confronted Steve Jobs about why he didn't produce any of their trendy pocket 'puters here before Steve died. Good on Mr. President.

It was a soundbyte. Meaningless. And Job's simple answer was the truth "those jobs are never coming back".
Apple's determination to maintain their products made in America is exactly what pushed them near oblivion several times. The price of a Mac was many times three times higher than a PC...so guess what... NOBODY BOUGHT THEM.
Perhaps, no...THE most advanced computer system was Job's "NeXT" computer. Waaaay beyond it's time. Far more advanced than MSDos or Mac's...but it was $6,500. Absolutely no one bought them.
Apples success is directly connected to moving their production overseas. It was the only way to lower the cost of the products to where they could be affordable. Imagine an iPhone costing $1200...no one would buy them

It was a soundbyte. Meaningless. And Job's simple answer was the truth "those jobs are never coming back".
Apple's determination to maintain their products made in America is exactly what pushed them near oblivion several times. The price of a Mac was many times three times higher than a PC...so guess what... NOBODY BOUGHT THEM.
Perhaps, no...THE most advanced computer system was Job's "NeXT" computer. Waaaay beyond it's time. Far more advanced than MSDos or Mac's...but it was $6,500. Absolutely no one bought them.
Apples success is directly connected to moving their production overseas. It was the only way to lower the cost of the products to where they could be affordable. Imagine an iPhone costing $1200...no one would buy them
ummm.....according to who? You? Besides there are other negative externalities that make up for the lower price. I'll give you time to google that word & form a response. :eusa_whistle:

Thats no shit! Although I'm sure Verizon would be more than happy to give you one for $400 bucks...........with a ten year contract.

ummm.....according to who? You? Besides there are other negative externalities that make up for the lower price. I'll give you time to google that word & form a response. :eusa_whistle:

There are many reasons that effect prices. But nothing effects a price as much as market demand. And by market demand, I am referring to the price people are willing to pay - which is many times a moving target, almost always lower each time it moves. And companies must do whatever it takes to lower their costs to meet that demand.
So now....back to the thread......

The Actual Cost of a New Apple iPhone 6 NASDAQ AAPL - 24 7 Wall St.
We all know that the iPhone 6 from Apple Inc. (NASDAQ: AAPL) carries a list price of $649. What might be more interesting is how different companies’ cell phone plans affect what consumers end up paying for the phone.

Read more: The Actual Cost of a New Apple iPhone 6 (NASDAQ: AAPL) - 24/7 Wall St. The Actual Cost of a New Apple iPhone 6 NASDAQ AAPL - 24 7 Wall St.
Follow us: @247wallst on Twitter | 247wallst on Facebook

On a two-year contract, the lowest cost service is the 2-Year Contract & No Contract, Single Line Plan with 2 GB of data from Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE: VZ) with a total two-year cost of $1,568. T-Mobile US Inc. (NYSE: TMUS) does not offer a two-year contract, and the comparable two-year contract from AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T) costs $2,064 over the 24 months, and the two-year contract from Sprint Corp. (NYSE: S) costs $2,173.

The lowest cost no-contract plan with 2 GB of data is available from T-Mobile — a two-year total of $1,686, which includes the cost of paying full price for the iPhone. A similar plan from Sprint will cost $1,826 out-of-pocket over two years, and the Verizon plan will cost $2,017 for the period. AT&T’s cost is highest for a no-contract plan — $2,132.

If you would rather purchase one of the installment plans, where the (usually $199 cost of the iPhone is spread over the course of the two-year period), the best deal is available from T-Mobile for $1,653, including 2 GB of data. Verizon’s cost of $1,762 is next lowest, followed by Sprint’s cost of $1,793. AT&T is again the highest priced at $2,099.

Read more: The Actual Cost of a New Apple iPhone 6 (NASDAQ: AAPL) - 24/7 Wall St. The Actual Cost of a New Apple iPhone 6 NASDAQ AAPL - 24 7 Wall St.
Follow us: @247wallst on Twitter | 247wallst on Facebook

Forum List

Back