Oh Boo Hoo

Tom Sweetnam

Platinum Member
Aug 27, 2014
8000' up in the san juan mountain foothills
Larry King interviewed some dweeb on RT TV today, who wrote a book about the emotional trauma he’d suffered because the woman he met online was nothing like the woman he met for real! Alright, alright, get up off the floor. You can continue your hysterical laughing when I’m through with my post.

So anyway, her online persona was that of a 24 year-old nymph (she’d stolen a bunch of pictures of some hottie on Facebook), but in reality she was 38, fat, divorced, lived with her mother and 13 other relatives, and had a teenage daughter. The guy blubbering with Larry about his heartbreak was 24 at the time.

Now I have to ask, why is a 24 year-old guy trying to finds love on the web? He wasn’t that bad looking either, and thin. Why the hell isn’t he dropping ecstasy in some rave club, dancing till three in the morning, then getting laid till noon? I mean, how difficult are women to meet, dood? Oh for my days of youth.

So now he’s positively evangelical about telling people not to waste their lives online. I suppose there’s some meat to that argument, but if I wasn’t pissing people off in web forums, I’d just be throwing my money away day trading. So what do you think? Is meeting people online an overall positive experience, a neutral experience, or is it addictive and sometimes quite depressing?

Gheesh, I figured everyone knew about the shadow personas on the internet...I mean that was old news when the 1-900 jerk phase went on...

I know of several people who met online, ended up meeting and dating, and even a couple who were married.

You guys must be old. The internet is where a LOT of people are hooking up nowadays. :D

Now I have to ask, why is a 24 year-old guy trying to finds love on the web? He wasn’t that bad looking either, and thin. Why the hell isn’t he dropping ecstasy in some rave club, dancing till three in the morning, then getting laid till noon? I mean, how difficult are women to meet, dood? Oh for my days of youth.

I can answer this question. It's because these are people who are looking for relationships and not drunk bar skanks who may or may not have herpes. :D

I don't understand why a person would lie about her or his identity, especially when they are trying to meet a person. They must know that the person is going to catch on sooner or later to the lies, so it's always best to be honest.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who might exaggerate a little about themselves, like maybe be a little taller, a little thinner or a little more successful than what they actually are, but the OP story is pretty much horrible. I do feel sorry for the guy, but people have to remember that there are going to be "those" people, and not just online but in real life too.

Sure, in RL, they can't lie about their appearances, but they can lie about any number of other things. Some people are just con artists (or wanna be con artists at least).

Larry King interviewed some dweeb on RT TV today, who wrote a book about the emotional trauma he’d suffered because the woman he met online was nothing like the woman he met for real! Alright, alright, get up off the floor. You can continue your hysterical laughing when I’m through with my post.

So anyway, her online persona was that of a 24 year-old nymph (she’d stolen a bunch of pictures of some hottie on Facebook), but in reality she was 38, fat, divorced, lived with her mother and 13 other relatives, and had a teenage daughter. The guy blubbering with Larry about his heartbreak was 24 at the time.

So now he’s positively evangelical about telling people not to waste their lives online. I suppose there’s some meat to that argument, but if I wasn’t pissing people off in web forums, I’d just be throwing my money away day trading. So what do you think? Is meeting people online an overall positive experience, a neutral experience, or is it addictive and sometimes quite depressing?
I met and married a man I met online. Divorced one year, 4 months later. Long distance romances don't work for most people. You really can't get to know someone until you know someone...lol. Phone calls, emails, rarely furthers that essential. Person-to-person is the only way and everything in the world can be good about the long distance relationship but if there is no chemistry, none of it matters.

In the early 2000's I sold many diamond wedding ring sets to people who had met online. Many.

Some people love online dating if they are looking for lust or love. It keeps the door to hope, open.

I can answer this question. It's because these are people who are looking for relationships and not drunk bar skanks who may or may not have herpes. :D
Also many people online are shy and incapable of interpersonal relationships, and online dating gives them a way to relate. The keyboard is their friend.

Also many people online are shy and incapable of interpersonal relationships, and online dating gives them a way to relate. The keyboard is their friend.

Yes, good point. Also, a lot of people have very busy lives and just don't have a lot of free time.

Oh, it's positive. Way positive.

That's all I'm sayin'.
It's a fast way to jump start a relationship and puts one in touch with others, and that's all it can do. The rest is up to the two people who may have interests and pheromones in common. ;)

The "not having a lot of time" kind of describes myself actually. Lol! Because of the way my work schedule is, I don't have a lot of time to go out and socialize. I do a LOT of socializing online, with people I know, and I also like to meet new people and make new online friends. :smile: I also think that a lot of times, you can really get to know a person a lot better online because they sometimes tend to not "hold back" so much. ;)

The "not having a lot of time" kind of describes myself actually. Lol! Because of the way my work schedule is, I don't have a lot of time to go out and socialize. I do a LOT of socializing online, with people I know, and I also like to meet new people and make new online friends. :smile: I also think that a lot of times, you can really get to know a person a lot better online because they sometimes tend to not "hold back" so much. ;)
The only way to do it, is to meet as soon as possible after a mutual interest has been established, otherwise it may be true that what I read years ago, the more time one spends emailing another the more it increases the chances of not working out. Telephone time is very important and sooner rather than later, after that feeling of a successful match. One learns much more, and quickly, it they want to go forward or say, happy trails.

The only way to do it, is to meet as soon as possible after a mutual interest has been established, otherwise it may be true that what I read years ago, the more time one spends emailing another the more it increases the chances of not working out. Telephone time is very important and sooner rather than later, after that feeling of a successful match. One learns much more, and quickly, it they want to go forward or say, happy trails.

Right, if you're looking a relationship that is. Also, it's important to be very careful when meeting a person that you met online. It should always be done in a public setting and you should always let your friends and family know where you are going, with whom and when you expect to be home. Also can't hurt to call and check in with them to let them know you are okay while you're out with a person that is kind of a stranger.

Larry Kings still alive?

I know of several people who met online, ended up meeting and dating, and even a couple who were married.

You guys must be old. The internet is where a LOT of people are hooking up nowadays. :D

I agree.

The alternatives seem to be bars and churches and neither of those are attractive to real people.

This reminds of another forum I used to be a member of; there was a member there who is a guy but who put up a picture of an attractive teenage girl with big boobs as his profile picture and on the members' pictures thread. Then, he started up a thread about how he was "lonely" and wanted to be held. Lol! He got busted when another member recognized the picture, having seen it online before. Apparently, the girl had been severely harassed online, and her pictures were meant to be private but someone hacked into her Facebook account and got hold of her pictures and posted them online. Something like that. Weird that some people would go through ALL of that trouble . . . for what purpose?

Forum List

Back