2,500,000----Number of jobs lost since Democrats increased the Minimum Wage...

U.S. Department of Labor - Employment Standards Administration (ESA) - Wage and Hour Division (WHD) - Compliance Assistance-Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)

Takes all the bullshit out of it when you start U.S. Department of Labor reading the rules and realize each state also sets their own minimum wage standards.

Subminimum Wage Provisions

The FLSA provides for the employment of certain individuals at wage rates below the statutory minimum. Such individuals include student-learners (vocational education students), as well as full-time students in retail or service establishments, agriculture, or institutions of higher education. Also included are individuals whose earning or productive capacity is impaired by a physical or mental disability, including those related to age or injury, for the work to be performed. Employment at less than the minimum wage is authorized to prevent curtailment of opportunities for employment. Such employment is permitted only under certificates issued by Wage-Hour.

Youth Minimum Wage

A minimum wage of not less than $4.25 an hour is permitted for employees under 20 years of age during their first 90 consecutive calendar days of employment with an employer. Employers are prohibited from taking any action to displace employees in order to hire employees at the youth minimum wage. Also prohibited are partial displacements such as reducing employees' hours, wages, or employment benefits. Exemptions

Some employees are exempt from the overtime pay provisions or both the minimum wage and overtime pay provisions.

Because exemptions are generally narrowly defined under FLSA, an employer should carefully check the exact terms and conditions for each. Detailed information is available from local Wage-Hour offices.

Following are examples of exemptions which are illustrative, but not all-inclusive. These examples do not define the conditions for each exemption.

Exemptions from Both Minimum Wage and Overtime Pay

1. Executive, administrative, and professional employees (including teachers and academic administrative personnel in elementary and secondary schools), outside sales employees, and employees in certain computer-related occupations (as defined in Department of Labor regulations);

2. Employees of certain seasonal amusement or recreational establishments, employees of certain small newspapers, seamen employed on foreign vessels, employees engaged in fishing operations, and employees engaged in newspaper delivery;

3. Farmworkers employed by anyone who used no more than 500 "man-days" of farm labor in any calendar quarter of the preceding calendar year;

4. Casual babysitters and persons employed as companions to the elderly or infirm.

Exemptions from Overtime Pay Only

1. Certain commissioned employees of retail or service establishments; auto, truck, trailer, farm implement, boat, or aircraft sales-workers; or parts-clerks and mechanics servicing autos, trucks, or farm implements, who are employed by non-manufacturing establishments primarily engaged in selling these items to ultimate purchasers;
2. Employees of railroads and air carriers, taxi drivers, certain employees of motor carriers, seamen on American vessels, and local delivery employees paid on approved trip rate plans;
3. Announcers, news editors, and chief engineers of certain non-metropolitan broadcasting stations;
4. Domestic service workers living in the employer's residence;
5. Employees of motion picture theaters; and
6. Farmworkers.

Partial Exemptions from Overtime Pay

1. Partial overtime pay exemptions apply to employees engaged in certain operations on agricultural commodities and to employees of certain bulk petroleum distributors.

2. Hospitals and residential care establishments may adopt, by agreement with their employees, a 14-day work period instead of the usual 7-day workweek if the employees are paid at least time and one-half their regular rates for hours worked over 8 in a day or 80 in a 14-day work period, whichever is the greater number of overtime hours.

3. Employees who lack a high school diploma, or who have not attained the educational level of the 8th grade, can be required to spend up to 10 hours in a workweek engaged in remedial reading or training in other basic skills without receiving time and one-half overtime pay for these hours. However, the employees must receive their normal wages for hours spent in such training and the training must not be job specific.

4. Public agency fire departments and police departments may establish a work period ranging from 7 to 28 days in which overtime need only be paid after a specified number of hours in each work period.

The employers I've talked to said it's the increased taxes combined with min wage increases which are killing them.

Increased min wage is simply a tool to increase money for the gov't anyway. You make more money, you pay more in taxes...you get it. Maybe.

At $7.50 per hour, those folks still don't earn enough to make a dent in any tax revenue expectations.

Once again, the door that always remains closed, who makes 'minimum wage'? You? Didn't thing so, Me? Hardly. My sons, daughter? Nope. Well they did, back when. Like while in high school. I was paying their insurance and buying their books. Those minimum wage jobs, well they were for them and 'saving' for college.

Millions only earn minimum wage, are you kidding? They're the ones doing the dirty work so you won't have to: Hotel/motel housekeepers, food preppers, dairy farm workers who have to shovel cow shit. Spend just an hour at your local unemployment office and check out their computer listings of available jobs and see how many are only paying minimum wage.

Raising minimum wage in the midst of a serious recession is stupid. When you look at the 'big box' companies that have failed, how do you think the smaller guys will exist?

Your OPINON is noted and disregarded. The minimum wage is one of the ONLY methods we have left to ensure that MORE people are capable of consuming MORe goods than the average free market capitalist will allow (as long as there is slave labor in a third world nation ready for employment).

I have a fucking NEWS FLASH for ya... Smaller guys are not thriving regardless. Funny that you bring up big box's though, wally mart.

During times of low unemployment, the minimum wage is ignored because there are too many jobs chasing too few employees. Wages go up and the minimum is forgotten.

During times of high unemployment, the minimum wage may come into play, but only for those who get a paycheck. If a guy is reciveing unemployment compensation and this outstrips the 300/week minimum wage income, he will stay on unemployment.

Additionally, minimum wage workers will generally get an increase in pay with successful competion of introductory periods or added skills.

The UAW has numerous pay rates tied to the minimum wage. When it rises, so does their wage rate.

People collecting unemployment compensation can't just sit around on their asses. They need to prove WEEKLY that they have made x-number of job contacts and what the results were. If they try to make it up and get caught, they are immediately dropped and often must pay a penalty once they do find work. In my state, someone newly collecting is not obligated to interview for any job below his last earning rate, but that changes after 3 weeks, at which time he must be willing to accept any job that's offered. So that explains why the unemployment rate dropped during the BA and why even if it drops in the immediate future, it is not a true measurement of improvement of the status of employment. That won't happen until the entire economy is more affordable.

Yes, but the stench remains. You all continued to blame Clinton for anything and everything for the first 4 years of Bush's term. Now you can't backpeddal away from Bush fast enough.

And remember, it wasn't just Bush, it was him and the Tom Delay GOP run government from 2000-2006 specifically. When they had all the power, thats when they passed all the fucked up laws and loopholes. Nothing got done the last 2 years.

And remember when the GOP said that was a good thing? God I wish I remembered what year that was. The GOP congress didn't do shit for 2 straight years and they said, "that's a good thing".

Do you remember that? They said, "the more laws government passes, the worse they make things, so if congress didn't pass any laws, that's a good thing".

But last year they ran against a "do nothing congress" because it was run by Pelosi and Reed.

Double talkers.

last 2 sentances Bo....agree with ya....

Hey, at least they were in Washington Monday through Friday, not Tuesday through Thursday morning.

Every minimum wage increase in history....has increased unemployment....[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

In all due respect, this is the type of absolutist, baseless and uninformed rhetoric that drives me up a wall, and which makes me turn against conservative positions, or at least conservatives who argue the positions, I would otherwise generally support.

Minimum wage probably increases unemployment, but to say that it has increased unemployment every single time in history is merely partisan rhetoric that should be ignored.

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Some economists argue that increasing the minimum wage has adverse effects on employment. However, a new study from the Indiana Business Research Center at Indiana University's Kelley School of Business reveals that decreased employment may not be so easily tied to higher minimum wages.
Minimum Wage

The study compares employment in Midwestern states. Thompson used Illinois, the primary Midwestern state to increase its minimum wages between 2003 and 2005, as a test case in determining the effects, if any, that increasing the minimum wage has on employment growth.

While employment declined in 2003 in Illinois, all Midwestern states saw a decline during this time, when none had higher state minimum wages than the federal $5.15 level. A year later, Illinois stayed in line with nearly all other Midwestern states by achieving marginal employment growth.

This employment growth in Illinois was realized despite its state minimum wage increase of $0.35 per hour; meanwhile, all other Midwestern states effectively remained at the federally mandated $5.15 per hour, Thompson said. Illinois' rebound did not offset the losses of the previous year, but an increased minimum wage did not prevent an uptick in jobs. Moreover, in 2005, after increasing minimum wage by a full $1 per hour, Illinois saw job growth near 1 percent, enough to close the gap with its Midwestern neighbors.
Michael F. Thompson

"Of course, Illinois' improvement in employment may not be due to increases in minimum wage," Thompson said."It is important to consider the impact of growth in state GDP and even population growth, both of which have major effects on employment change."

Once these impacts are accounted for, Thompson's statistical analysis found that minimum wage increases had no significant impact -- positive or negative -- on employment growth during the study period. He also took a look at employment along the Indiana-Illinois border and found little to suggest that increasing minimum wages reduced employment, even for the low-wage accommodation and food service industry.

Minimum wage increases may have less of an effect on employment than previously thought: IU News Room: Indiana University

All things being equal, price floors, e.g. price for labor creates a surplus of jobs that cannot be filled.

Actually, it creates a surplus of employees, but we get the idea.

The answer depends on whether or not the clearing price (where the return on capital is above the cost of capital) is above or below the market price. If excess profits are being accrued by firms, meaning the market price of labor is below the clearing price, then increasing the minimum wage will not increase unemployment. However, if profits are at or below an acceptable rate of return, raising the minimum wage will create unemployment.

Ah, will she ever see the donut!

"Conclusion: Minimum wage increases have at least two purposes. The first is to lift the earnings of low-wage workers. Opponents of the policy have often raised the potential disemployment effects, but this analysis shows that minimum wage increases do not price low-wage workers out of the labor market. The employment effects, while negative in some models, never reach anywhere near the level where the benefits to low-wage workers would be outweighed by their costs in terms of job losses."

The impact of the minimum wage

And remember, it wasn't just Bush, it was him and the Tom Delay GOP run government from 2000-2006 specifically. When they had all the power, thats when they passed all the fucked up laws and loopholes. Nothing got done the last 2 years.

And remember when the GOP said that was a good thing? God I wish I remembered what year that was. The GOP congress didn't do shit for 2 straight years and they said, "that's a good thing".

Do you remember that? They said, "the more laws government passes, the worse they make things, so if congress didn't pass any laws, that's a good thing".

But last year they ran against a "do nothing congress" because it was run by Pelosi and Reed.

Double talkers.

last 2 sentances Bo....agree with ya....

Hey, at least they were in Washington Monday through Friday, not Tuesday through Thursday morning.

And remember the same GOP that were stop lossing our troops and sending them back to Iraq 3,4,7 times had the balls to cry that Pelosi's new work hours were anti family?

I wonder how many soldiers families have been torn apart by Iraq? I wonder how many of them lost their jobs or homes because of stop loss?

Foreclosures in Military Towns Surge at Four Times U.S. Rate

More U.S. troops battle foreclosure - USATODAY.com

I love it how ppl like Missourian think that the last election has left ME deranged. Why, because I'm not swallowing every anti Obama message the GOP puts out?

Who isn't thrilled that McCain didn't win? I say you are the deranged ones.

Is Obama perfect? No. Is he 100 million times better than Bush/McCain? Fuck yes! No question about it.

Yesterday I went and heard Rudy speak at MSU. He said he admired Bush & Reagan because they didn't make their decisions based off polls. He said a leader is someone who makes their own decisions.

He made sense, but what he's leaving out is how bloody wrong Bush was. And so what Rudy respects, I see as stubborn. Like the parent who is wrong but refuses to admit it or change their mind.

But I did like what he said about Reagan and I do agree. Government has gotten too big. But he admitted that the New Deal was good and did work. So he wasn't being a total right wing tool like some of you who deny the New Deal worked. He just said that after the New Deal, the government kept growning and has become too much of a beurocracy and instead of helping, it now is hurting.

But then I never forget that the right wingers who say this aren't really going to cut spending or fix anything. They just want to cut social services/programs that I feel are valuable and important. They just don't like liberal programs that don't benefit them or their lobbyists.

Lets be honest. Republicans care more about lobbyists than they do their constituents because in general, they are safe in those very red states. Their constituents don't feel like they get anything positive from the government, so they don't really care if all those important programs get dismantled. But they are important to 81% of Americans who happen to live in the big cities.

If Republicans are ever successful in their goals, we should all move out to their rural neighborhoods and ruin their small towns. You know they don't want that. LOL.

Lets be honest. Republicans care more about lobbyists than they do their constituents because in general, they are safe in those very red states. Their constituents don't feel like they get anything positive from the government, so they don't really care if all those important programs get dismantled. But they are important to 81% of Americans who happen to live in the big cities.

If Republicans are ever successful in their goals, we should all move out to their rural neighborhoods and ruin their small towns. You know they don't want that. LOL.

what crock of Shit Bobo.....Democrates care more about us then THEIR lobbyist?....is that what im seeing here?.....:lol:.....

and Bobo if you want to ruin the nice neighborhoods the ELITE Dems live in....just let a few minorities move in.....yea they will like that....

ok so that makes it look like they are working more....

If you ever turn on C-Span or C-Span2 and get live coverage, they spend an enormous amount of time just milling around. I never understood what the hell they were doing. It isn't as though there isn't an AGENDA every single day. Somebody needs to do an Internet petition to demand that the legislators stop wasting so much time chatting up each other on the respective floors. It isn't tolerated in the workplace, so why should it be tolerated there? Maybe I'll do that myself.

Um have you seen the Goldman Sachs connection to the Obama administratiom? Lobbyists will always control the WH. And not all of them are bad. But in this case..

Ironically, the Goldman Sachs "connection" to the White House began when Bush appointed Henry Paulson, then CEO of GS, his new Treasury Secretary. It was Paulson whose hair caught fire overnight by realizing that the entire financial network was about to crash and burn--thus the creation of the original TARP funds by the Bush Administration.

I'm not necessarily for a minimum wage but to imply that it is responsible for the loss of 2.5 million jobs, as it does in the title, is more than a little intellectually dishonest.

That or merely another example of how people who lack the intellectualy horsepower get fooled by a specious analysis of statistics.

Bobo is just a frustrated guy....many of those he put his faith in are not coming through for the guy.....so whats he to do?.....bitches to us in the day time....and goes home and rides his water ski and teabags his next door neighbor....:lol:
I want to ask you what you think about this?

Criminal tax fraud. Guilty. Do you think this disqualifies Trump to be POTUS? I do.

Oh and then there was this

Donald J. Trump Pays Court-Ordered $2 Million For Illegally Using Trump Foundation Funds​

Trump Ordered to Pay Eight Separate Charities $250,000 Each
Remaining $1.8 Million in Trump Foundation Bank Account Disbursed Among Charities

Forum List

Back