1979--Life of Brian

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Yesterday I posted a clip from the Life of Brian from YouTube. On the side bar was a video of the Friday Night, Saturday Morning debate with Cleese, Palin, Mervyn Stockwood and Malcom Muggeridge. I had no idea who those last two were. So, I watched another documentary on the response of this movie which said there were protests in New York but that is New York.

What was the reaction in the US when that movie came out? How did you guys react?

Yesterday I posted a clip from the Life of Brian from YouTube. On the side bar was a video of the Friday Night, Saturday Morning debate with Cleese, Palin, Mervyn Stockwood and Malcom Muggeridge. I had no idea who those last two were. So, I watched another documentary on the response of this movie which said there were protests in New York but that is New York.

What was the reaction in the US when that movie came out? How did you guys react?
Monty Python was a group of thinkers who spoofed life. When they came out with the "Life of Brian" it showed how some people would be dumb enough to follow anyone(Scientology comes to mind), they predicted transgenderism, and how man will turn on another just because someone tells them so. Sarcasm is a great way to get a message out.

It didn't create a big hoohah here. Some just didn't like it, some thought it was stupid and infantile, some thought it was hilarious. I liked some of it, most of it was kind of dull, over-done, and predictable.

Muggeridge was a famous writer and pundit, don't recall Stockwood.

I know it was banned in several states but I don't know what states.

Monty Python was a group of thinkers who spoofed life. When they came out with the "Life of Brian" it showed how some people would be dumb enough to follow anyone(Scientology comes to mind), they predicted transgenderism, and how man will turn on another just because someone tells them so. Sarcasm is a great way to get a message out.

I think I have seen the movie a hundred times but I had never looked at the reaction at the time. Did you see it then or later?

It didn't create a big hoohah here. Some just didn't like it, some thought it was stupid and infantile, some thought it was hilarious. I liked some of it, most of it was kind of dull, over-done, and predictable.

Muggeridge was a famous writer and pundit, don't recall Stockwood.

I had no idea who Stockwood was either. The guy in purple.

You had some protests, but mostly the movie was released without a lot of fanfare.

I think I have seen the movie a hundred times but I had never looked at the reaction at the time. Did you see it then or later?

Have the collection of all the MP tv shows, plus "The Holy Grail", Life of Brian" and "The Meaning of Life". Saw about 2years ago the Life again with my kids. They thought it was funny as hell.

I don't recall any major fuss when it was released. I do know some people were very upset, but not a lot of noise was made.

I love the movie. After Holy Grail, it is my favorite MP film.

I recall there was a bit of "bro-ha-ha" with various Christian groups here in the UK who thought it blasphemous, but most people, especially Monty Python fans went to see it in droves and enjoyed it, I certainly did.

My favorite scene is the speech by the Roman governor; other than that I can't recall another scene from it. It's an easily forgettable movie. Holy Grail was much better and funnier.

My favorite scene is the speech by the Roman governor; other than that I can't recall another scene from it. It's an easily forgettable movie. Holy Grail was much better and funnier.
Mine's the "Romans go home scene", I had studied Latin at school and it so reminded me of my Latin teacher.

Never saw it or heard about it.
1460020903_poster.jpg

:biggrin:

I have this movie in DVD :D
I find it really funny but I can understand some religious people (i.e. Christians) can be very happy watching this movie.
It's a parody of Jesus Christ's life :)

I have this movie in DVD :D
I find it really funny but I can understand some religious people (i.e. Christians) can be very happy watching this movie.
It's a parody of Jesus Christ's life :)

I think it's making fun of people and culture of that era, not necessarily Jesus; people in general were very superstitious all over the world. Jesus is around off-screen but not central to the movie itself. It's not illegal to make jokes about religions here, which is why such movies exist. Can't do it with Islam or in some countries Buddhism or Hinduism.

I took my wife to see it.

Some couple came and brought their elderly orthodox Jewish dad with them.

He was pissed !

I rolled on the floor.

How in the world did a discussion about Monty Python end up on the history forum? Not only isn't Python history but it ain't even humor. Try the rubber room.

How in the world did a discussion about Monty Python end up on the history forum? Not only isn't Python history but it ain't even humor. Try the rubber room.

Pfft... It's more than Python history.

The UK has a state religion and a blasphemy law that could protect it until 2008. The movie opened in the US first and could only open one year later in the UK. It was banned in a few areas up until 2008 in the UK.
In 1977 the blasphemy law was used regarding a poem in Gay News.
Whitehouse v Lemon - Wikipedia

This is Whitehouse

Mary Whitehouse

Mary Whitehouse:'Sometimes I denied she was my mother'

Someone working on the set or involved with the Life of Brian had sent a bit of the script to a group called Festival of Light which was an activist group along the same lines as Whitehouse or somehow connected with her. They raised hell which led to the banning in certain areas of the UK.

I just wanted to know if anyone was around and saw what really happened.

Forum List

Back