1957 Ruger Standard .22 Pistol

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I found this 4.75" barreled Ruger Standard/holster the other day at my LGS.....$155.00.

57 002 (2).JPG

It's in pretty good shape overall......Hard to believe this is what got the whole Ruger ball rolling back in 1949.

I have a 1954 Standard in a little better Condition than that and I would not sell it for under 400.00$ , with 5 Original period mags 475.00 $ These are the best 22 Pistols ( After S&W Model 41 ) that everyone should have in their collection .

I have a 1954 Standard in a little better Condition than that and I would not sell it for under 400.00$ , with 5 Original period mags 475.00 $ These are the best 22 Pistols ( After S&W Model 41 ) that everyone should have in their collection .
Hell, just the Ruger Standard mags with the chromed base (9-shot) are $50.00+ now.

The thing the Standards suffered from (and the ensuing "marks" still do) was their creepy trigger when compared to their competition of the era like the Colt Woodsman or High Standard's offerings.

The S&W 41 was in a class by itself although not really a field pistol. Their 422 series was and had really good triggers too.....That and the 41's mags interchange.

Thing is when those brands all shit the bed for one reason or the other the Ruger would still be banging right along. ;)

I find the original period mags in the strangest places ( Bargain Tub at Big Reno Show or Ventura Gun Show in a glass case full of obscure centerfire mags ) you just have to be vigilant , I’m still huntin for the Bucket list early Pre Production Sales example of a 49 Standard , as I did find my real early 10/22 International ( with original period Clear plastic Rotary mag ) and that gives me hope .

I find the original period mags in the strangest places ( Bargain Tub at Big Reno Show or Ventura Gun Show in a glass case full of obscure centerfire mags ) you just have to be vigilant , I’m still huntin for the Bucket list early Pre Production Sales example of a 49 Standard , as I did find my real early 10/22 International ( with original period Clear plastic Rotary mag ) and that gives me hope .
Another "look for" are the Standard's OEM black walnut grip panels. I have a set of thumb-rest target ones but I'm still looking for a plain set.....Very hard to find because they only fit that grip frame.

Forum List

Back