1500 Miles Of Freezing Cold Temperatures!

Weather for Nome, AK 99762
- Featured Result
weather.aol.com/forecast/todays/-/-/-/id/99762
  • Today

35° | 32°
  • Wed

33° | 22°
  • Thu

24° | 17°
  • Fri

32° | 28°
  • Sat

36° | 31°
  • Right Now
    31°F | °C
    Snow Showers
    Humidity: 100%
    Winds: E 13mph

Try Point Barrow. -9 right now.

Point Barrow Alaska 99782 Conditions Forecast Weather Underground

That's actually my forecast low here for Thursday.

High 9 above; low 9 below.

That's a fairly common temp for me as I am at high altitude, but you lowlanders....whew! Stay warm buddy!

- Featured Result
  • Today

35° | 32°
  • Wed

33° | 22°
  • Thu

24° | 17°
  • Fri

32° | 28°
  • Sat

36° | 31°
  • Right Now
    31°F | °C
    Snow Showers

That's a fairly common temp for me as I am at high altitude, but you lowlanders....whew! Stay warm buddy!

Flatland is east of here. I'm in Appalachia, within sight of Mount Mitchell.
The town 17 miles away down the road is 10-12 degrees warmer (downhill). On the other hand I've never needed an air conditioner. Having lived in New Orleans I appreciate that. :thup:

- Featured Result
  • Today

35° | 32°
  • Wed

33° | 22°
  • Thu

24° | 17°
  • Fri

32° | 28°
  • Sat

36° | 31°
  • Right Now
    31°F | °C
    Snow Showers

The town 17 miles away down the road is 10-12 degrees warmer (downhill). On the other hand I've never needed an air conditioner.

Yep, we take the good with the bad when we live on mountains! I'm at around 7500 feet. You're at what 2500?

- Featured Result
  • Today

35° | 32°
  • Wed

33° | 22°
  • Thu

24° | 17°
  • Fri

32° | 28°
  • Sat

36° | 31°
  • Right Now
    31°F | °C
    Snow Showers

The town 17 miles away down the road is 10-12 degrees warmer (downhill). On the other hand I've never needed an air conditioner.

Yep, we take the good with the bad when we live on mountains! I'm at around 7500 feet. You're at what 2500?

About 3000. Kind of a valley squnched between a U-shape of higher peaks on every side except the south. I get monster winds here in winter -- I've seen it blow the bark right off the trees. Makes it kinda dicey running the wood stove when it's both frigid and windy. But I like having my four seasons back after New Orleans' two seasons of Hot and Less Hot.

We gonna be snowed in tomorrow. I'm lovin' that. :rock:

I love my outdoor furnace. 10 chunks of wood per day keeps the house as warm as you want it.

About 3000. Kind of a valley squnched between a U-shape of higher peaks on every side except the south. I get monster winds here in winter -- I've seen it blow the bark right off the trees. Makes it kinda dicey running the wood stove when it's both frigid and windy. But I like having my four seasons back after New Orleans' two seasons of Hot and Less Hot.

We gonna be snowed in tomorrow. I'm lovin' that. :rock:

Yes, the winds are ferocious up here too. I have an anemometer on the ridge above us, and it regularly gets pegged at 100 mph.

Anchorage Alaska, 19.4'' inches of snow
Boston Massachusetts, 84'' of snow

Where I live in Maine we are over 94'' of snow, and most of it has been the past 30 days!

Something is messed up when Anchorage has only 19 inches and we are swimming in it, Mother Nature deserves a good spanking! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Food for thought;

The area of the globe, which you currently reside on, was once covered by two miles of ice and snow. The weather patterns you describe are not uncommon in a world which is entering an ice age and the area in which you live will once again be covered by ice. Greenland was miss named by the vikings during the Mid-evil Warm Period and once that warming stopped the snow and ice returned with such a vengeance that they abandoned their settlements leaving everything behind and we have been finding the remnants recently as the world warms slightly.

Given what we have seen just his year, how fast do you think that whole area will become ice locked when cooling sets in globally? The Antarctic is already showing signs that we are entering the next ice age.

When the cooling set in, and it does so rapidly when glacial phases begin, how many people will be frozen for someone to find in 90,000 years when the next warm cycle begins?

IPCC is supposed to predict weather?
In Detroit?

Damn this place is edumactional.
Yep, its a huge Science news flash, weather is the climate. I guess the IPCC and all you folks don't use stuff like the weather, when you figure Science and tell us what the, "climate", will be like in the future.

Tell us Tree Ring Reader, is it going to snow the next week or do you need to look into your Magic Ice Core?

No, "climate" is not "weather". No wonder you're this degree of confuserated.

This is like comparing a multi-volume Encyclopedia Brittanica of the entire history of human civilization to yesterday's Kansas City Star.

WOW...

Weather is the current conditions... Climate is the long term average of WEATHER CONDITIONS.... Climate is most certainly weather..

In Detroit?

Yep, its a huge Science news flash, weather is the climate. I guess the IPCC and all you folks don't use stuff like the weather, when you figure Science and tell us what the, "climate", will be like in the future.

Tell us Tree Ring Reader, is it going to snow the next week or do you need to look into your Magic Ice Core?

This is like comparing a multi-volume Encyclopedia Brittanica of the entire history of human civilization to yesterday's Kansas City Star.

WOW...

Weather is the current conditions... Climate is the long term average of WEATHER CONDITIONS.... Climate is most certainly weather..

No. It. Is. Not.

"Weather" is the "83 degrees, 77% humidity, clear, wind WNW 7mph".
"Climate" is "subtropical rain forest".

The issue is asshats who take the fact that it's snowing (which is weather, the microcosm) and pretend it's an indication of climate, the macrocosm. It's a classic Composition Fallacy.

In Detroit?

Wrong again, POGO, Climate is weather, period, I see a lot of idiots claiming weather is not climate, yet if I take Encyclopedia Britannica, it states the obvious:

climate meteorology Encyclopedia Britannica

Climate, conditions of the atmosphere at a particular location over a long period of time; it is the long-term summation of the atmospheric elements (and their variations) that, over short time periods, constitute weather

In Detroit?

Wrong again, POGO, Climate is weather, period, I see a lot of idiots claiming weather is not climate, yet if I take Encyclopedia Britannica, it states the obvious:

Climate, conditions of the atmosphere at a particular location over a long period of time; it is the long-term summation of the atmospheric elements (and their variations) that, over short time periods, constitute weather

If you're determined to play village idiot, congratulations -- you got the part.

Climate is a measure of the average pattern of variation in temperature, humidity, atmospheric pressure, wind, precipitation, atmospheric particle count and other meteorological variables in a given region over long periods of time. Climate is different from weather, in that weather only describes the short-term conditions of these variables in a given region.

A region's climate is generated by the climate system, which has five components: atmosphere, hydrosphere, cryosphere, lithosphere, and biosphere.[1] -- Wiki
(some words emphasized for the obtuse)

So again -- you CAN NOT extrapolate a conclusion about climate from a single day of weather.
Can't do it. Ain't gonna happen, has not happened, isn't happening now and will not happen tomorrow or ever.

In Detroit?

If you're determined to play village idiot, congratulations -- you got the part.

Climate is a measure of the average pattern of variation in temperature, humidity, atmospheric pressure, wind, precipitation, atmospheric particle count and other meteorological variables in a given region over long periods of time. Climate is different from weather, in that weather only describes the short-term conditions of these variables in a given region.

A region's climate is generated by the climate system, which has five components: atmosphere, hydrosphere, cryosphere, lithosphere, and biosphere.[1] -- Wiki
(some words emphasized for the obtuse)

So again -- you CAN NOT extrapolate a conclusion about climate from a single day of weather.
Can't do it. Ain't gonna happen, has not happened, isn't happening now and will not happen tomorrow or ever.
My answer to you is my new thread, climate is weather.

Now you can feel free to stay on topic.

Anyhow, the climate outside is cold here, today, in Charlotte, as predicted by local Weatherman.

What is the point of the thread? This is media hype and a baseless thread. 9 degrees is not that terribly cold. Get over it already. No danger in it.

Weather for Billings, MT 59101
- Featured Result
weather.aol.com/forecast/todays/-/-/-/id/59101
  • Today

58° | 41°
  • Fri

62° | 36°
  • Sat

57° | 34°
  • Sun

46° | 29°
  • Mon

35° | 18°
Well, looks as if Billings, Montana will finally be getting some normal weather for February by Monday.
Sounds like a nice climate
No, it is not a nice climate. That is weather, climate is about 60 degrees colder than that this time of year. Norm for Billings, Montana is very cold winters, warm summers. Lots of snow in the winter.

"The high temp on Thursday here in WNC, in the latest forecast, is 11 degrees."

Big whoop tee coo. 11 degrees is by no means very cold. ". I would love to see below zero temps settle on the south for a few weeks. Would be worth the watch.

Go fuck yourself. It's cold for this area for a HIGH.
Go fuck yourself; I understand what cold is; I've lived in northern New England.

In closing, go fuck yourself.
need a smoke?

Weather for Billings, MT 59101
- Featured Result
weather.aol.com/forecast/todays/-/-/-/id/59101
  • Today

58° | 41°
  • Fri

62° | 36°
  • Sat

57° | 34°
  • Sun

46° | 29°
  • Mon

35° | 18°
Well, looks as if Billings, Montana will finally be getting some normal weather for February by Monday.
Sounds like a nice climate
No, it is not a nice climate. That is weather, climate is about 60 degrees colder than that this time of year. Norm for Billings, Montana is very cold winters, warm summers. Lots of snow in the winter.
it is? are you sure about that?

Forum List

Back