150 Years Ago Today… Republicans Freed the Slaves

Goldwater as well as Rand Paul do not support discrimination by the government. Private people shouldn't be forced by the government to not discriminate that’s their view
Private people aren't.

When they open their doors to the public, that changes.

Public accommodations.

Not if it is a private club…. Anyway a business that is privately owned should be allowed to be run as the owners see fit. Let them sink or swim based on that
Private clubs are exempt.

When they open their doors to the general public, I know it broils conservatives, but you have to treat law abiding customers equally, be they white, black, Jewish Irish, whatever.

Sink or swim was tried for a long time. A lot of those who discriminated swam quite well, thanks to the abundance of racists.

Perhaps you wish a return to the "good ole days."

jackson_sit-in_woolworth_may1963.jpg

no-colored-allowed-black-americana-cast-iron-sign-10x4_220665307171.jpg

Private people aren't.

Public accommodations.

Not if it is a private club…. Anyway a business that is privately owned should be allowed to be run as the owners see fit. Let them sink or swim based on that
Private clubs are exempt.

When they open their doors to the general public, I know it broils conservatives, but you have to treat law abiding customers equally, be they white, black, Jewish Irish, whatever.

Sink or swim was tried for a long time. A lot of those who discriminated swam quite well, thanks to the abundance of racists.

Perhaps you wish a return to the "good ole days."

If someone doesn't want Jews in their restaurant fine, I'll go to the one across the street, they probably won’t last long in business anyway. Government at any level cannot discriminate. It’s unconstitutional

Another thread about how far the Republican Party has fallen in the last 150 years.

...yes, we liberals get it; that's why we're not Republicans.

Actually that is an over simplification. I was a Republican when they stood for balanced budgets, small government and individual rights. When Reagan began to borrow from foreign banks to cover the short fall for his tax breaks for the wealthy and ran the debt up to four times what it had been I suspected I was in the wrong party. Sure 'Nuff....I haven't voted Republican in a national election since I voted for Reagan in 1984. I've only voted three times in that 28 years and each time I voted against the spend and borrow Republicans.

So, now in protest, you vote in lockstep with a party that is for big government, can't even do a budget, throws individual rights down the toilet and throws billions away on bankrupt green energy and racks up trillions in debt?

You're a fucking retard.

One thing continues to ring true. I've posted at no less than 20-25 boards or forums since 1994 shortly after I retired. When someone calls me names I know I've won.

Yep, PC, you demonstrate your near senseless and lack of charm, a barely sentient Mises lackey.

Happy New Year, PC. Your self caricature and pretension as a writer informs others what to avoid.

Not when it serves the public interest or crosses the public path.

And Exposing the Intercollegiate Studies Institute | Commonweal Institute is a great read, demonstrating the anti-American insidiousness of the ISI.

The ultra right and libertarian wacks like using the ISI for some of the more silly points of the weirdo far right conservatism and libertarianismof today. Barry Goldwater and William F. Buckley Jr. would not associate with the ISI today.

Goldwater as well as Rand Paul do not support discrimination by the government. Private people shouldn't be forced by the government to not discriminate that’s their view
Private people aren't.

Public accommodations.

Last edited:

And Exposing the Intercollegiate Studies Institute | Commonweal Institute is a great read, demonstrating the anti-American insidiousness of the ISI.

Private people aren't.

Public accommodations.

???????

The full comment was "Not when it serves the public interest or crosses the public path.

The ultra right and libertarian wacks like using the ISI for some of the more silly points of the weirdo far right conservatism and libertarianismof today. Barry Goldwater and William F. Buckley Jr. would not associate with the ISI today."

Go back, read the page, and get into context, Cammmpbell. When you look even more lost when you act like an ultra right con.

???????

We GOP have to figure out to meet the difference between the approaches of the Senator members and the House members, particularly the TeaPs.

Chris Christie correctly savaged the House GOP for not moving rapidly on the Sandy Aid.

We need to jointly govern with the Dems, and we need to hold their toes to the fire on spending cuts.

Slavery in the form of share cropping continued until Lyndon Johnson signed the civil rights laws of the mid 1960's.......100 years after Lincoln put something on paper.

Anyone who thinks slavery ended in the mid 1860's don't read much or didn't live in the southern U S during the 1940's and 1950's. Can you say Ku Klux Klan? A Christian organization by the way.

Paper freedom to blacks meant mass confusion all over the nation. It took nearly 100 years for the southern farmers to give an inch. The only thing that changed after the civil war was Blacks couldn't ride in the front of the bus. Ask Medgar Evers or Martin Luther King. Oh I forgot......you can't do that.

Hmm.., Weren't the majority of the South, Democrats between 1865 until the mid 1960's? It wasn't Republicans that segregated the Army, Was it?
It wasn't the Republicans who tried to keep the Little Rock High School segregated. Was it?
It wasn't Republicans that bombed churches in Mississippi. Was it?
They weren't Republicans that murdered all those Civil Rights people. Was it?

It was the Democrat Harry Truman who desegregated the military, as part of his push for civil rights,

and that is when the conservative southern Democrats began to abandon the Democratic party.

Conservatives make the argument that black Americans vote overwhelmingly Democrat because they're too stupid - as a group - to know what's in their best interest,

and then remain puzzled why more black Americans won't embrace conservatism.

Fuck, some of you people are stupid!!

It boggles the mind to read some of the shit posted here by hyper-partisan nutbags on BOTH sides of the aisle.

The paradigm has shifted, folks, and the truth is that neither party gives a rat's ass about ANY of us!

Wake the Hell up already!

Shouldn't you be out shooting at Mexicans?

" On Monday, the U.S senate passed a non-binding resolution to apologize for its failure to enact anti-lynching legislation. The resolution states that the Senate "expresses the deepest sympathies and most solemn regrets of the Senate to the descendants of victims of lynching, the ancestors of whom were deprived of life, human dignity and the constitutional protections accorded all citizens of the United States."

More than 200 anti —lynching bills were introduced in congress in the first part of the century and the House of Representatives passed anti-lynching bills three times. However, the legislation was repeatedly blocked by [Democrat] Senators from the South and almost 5,000 people -— mostly African-Americans — were lynched between 1882 and 1968."
Senate Apologizes For Not Enacting Anti-Lynching Legislation, A Look at Journalist and Anti-Lynching Crusader Ida B. Wells

And as late as 2005, what happened?

Here are the 20 Senators who
1) refused to co-sponsor the anti-lynching resolution, and
2) refused a roll-call vote so they'd have to put their name on the resolution.
Lamar Alexander (R-TN)
Robert Bennett (R-UT)
Christopher Bond (R-MO)
Jim Bunning (R-KY)
Conrad Burns (R-MT)
Saxby Chambliss (R-GA)
Thad Cochran (R-MS)
Kent Conrad (D-ND)
John Cornyn (R-TX)
Michael Crapo (R-ID)
Michael Enzi (R-WY)
Chuck Grassley (R-IA)
Judd Gregg (R-NH)
Orrin Hatch (R-UT)
Trent Lott (R-MS)
Lisa Murkowski (R-AK)
Richard Shelby (R-AL)
John Sununu (R-NH)
Craig Thomas (R-WY)
George Voinovich (R-OH)

Notice the overwhelming R's there?

Wall of shame.

You really don't seem to understand, so let me explain it to you.

1. Did you read the resolution?

2. If you did, how many times did it lay the blame, correctly, at the feet of the party that blocked the anti-lynching bills?
Guess?

Zero.

3.What does that suggest to the reader, and allow the media to posit?
Right...that it was white folks at fault....all of 'em.

And, by implication, Republicans equally as well as Democrats.

4. Now, go back and read my post: it was Senate Democrats who spent 100 years endorsing, or at least, encouraging, lynching.

That is the shame.

Your lack of education on the topic is almost as large a shame.

Zell Miller is a Democrat. Is he a conservative?

hint

the answer is 'yes'.

Are present day Christians accountable for any or all of the horrific crimes committed by Christians,

in the name of Christianity,

in the past?

If your answer is no, why would you be trying to hold present day Democrats accountable for the wrongdoings of long dead southern racists who called themselves Democrats?

My ultra right evangelical friends do not care about logic, NYcarbiner.

They march to their own perversion of religion.

Are present day Christians accountable for any or all of the horrific crimes committed by Christians,

in the past?

If your answer is no, why would you be trying to hold present day Democrats accountable for the wrongdoings of long dead southern racists who called themselves Democrats?

There are people still living today that suffered from democrat party backed segregation and discrimination even killings

in the past?

There are people still living today that suffered from democrat party backed segregation and discrimination even killings

Oh really? Can you name the current Democrats in office who should be held accountable for supporting segregation?

Can you name 100? 50? 10?

Forum List

Back