$15,000 espresso machine bought for school district

It is no different than buying any ohter piece of school lunch equipment which will pay for itselfs and add to the coffers.

It is no different than buying any ohter piece of school lunch equipment which will pay for itselfs and add to the coffers.

yes it is. it is a coffee machine for teachers and it cost $15K. I don't care if it will quickly pay for itself... the voter's PERCEPTION is that the teachers spent $15K on a coffee machine... that is not a good perception. period.

Her results speak for themselfs.

She is pattening the method and I dont blame her.

It amazes me how you can be against an idea simply because I sugested it.

This is why we cant get anything done that makes a real differance.

These are the kinds of things people can use to spur kids to learn.

You as a teacher should know people learn in different ways.

The more ways you use to reach kids the better your results are.

This is one of the reasons her program works so well.

She uses a very different method and she looks at the english language in a different way.

She has spotted patterns that were as till now unnoticed and she teaches the kids these patterns.

The language all of the sudden begins to make sense to them and they pick it up very quickly.

Using the same old tired methods and teaching to the test is why we cant get our kids making the ground they need.

Im sure your a good teacher but innovation should always be welcome especially in a field where the goal is learning to think not just memorize.

tm, it's not 'all about you', nor your sil. It was my opinion about what you willy nilly think is such a great idea to implement in schools, which you came to because a school district was stupid enough to discuss a $15k espresso machine, which got in a newspaper.

As for your sil idea, I know nothing about that and have said not a word.

at its simplest, it is a capital budgeting problem where the espresso machine needs to stand in line with other capital needs. Those needs are prioritized by the time to break even and the cash flow generated by them after break even - if any. I cannot imagine a coffee machine - where teachers supplied the coffee beans like they always have - would be what one would refer to as a "cash cow" by any measure - $750/month (AFTER 20 months) is hardly "big money".

But MOST importantly, capital budgeting decisions in a public educational setting should always be made with the best interests of the student as the top priority. How will spending these capital dollars positively impact the educational experience for the student and how will the impact of that budget decision manifest itself in tangible outcomes - vis a vis higher test scores/graduation rates? There is absolutely no way that a espresso machine would be anywhere near the top of such a prioritizing process. The purchase of that machine was clearly a selfish choice that had nothing to do with the quality of education... and it was foolish to give the voters that perception of the school department's administration.

She said the addition of the espresso machine has already generated about $250 in additional sales each week. About $75 is from espresso drinks — which generally cost $2.25 to $2.50 — and the rest is from new customers buying food with their drinks.

"It's a very smart business move," said Edmonds School District spokeswoman Debbie Jakala. "Our food-service manager saw a place where there was revenue to be made."

The food-service operation last year contributed $200,000 to the district's general fund, Jakala said.

The money ends up in the general fund.

I just dont understand why it would be seen as a bad idea?

at its simplest, it is a capital budgeting problem where the espresso machine needs to stand in line with other capital needs. Those needs are prioritized by the time to break even and the cash flow generated by them after break even - if any. I cannot imagine a coffee machine - where teachers supplied the coffee beans like they always have - would be what one would refer to as a "cash cow" by any measure - $750/month (AFTER 20 months) is hardly "big money".

But MOST importantly, capital budgeting decisions in a public educational setting should always be made with the best interests of the student as the top priority. How will spending these capital dollars positively impact the educational experience for the student and how will the impact of that budget decision manifest itself in tangible outcomes - vis a vis higher test scores/graduation rates? There is absolutely no way that a espresso machine would be anywhere near the top of such a prioritizing process. The purchase of that machine was clearly a selfish choice that had nothing to do with the quality of education... and it was foolish to give the voters that perception of the school department's administration.

You keep posting this kind of crap and folks are going to think you are a cold hearted conservative!

Priorities.....fancy coffee or the kids....?

another reason, government education is a joke, and its need competition from the private sector.

I support school vouchers, especially those trapped in failing schools, the private sector could make the education scam better. Why?, because competition gives government schools a big kick in the bum, and says, shape up, or the kids go to other schools.

The government and groups like the pta, use the kids, to get money, and then dont take care of them.

this shouldnt be a political football/issue.

Illegals are not allowed to receive free education at any school, at any level.

That will save us tons of money.

off topic: what about teaching kids how to have healthy relationships, being socially appropriate, having common sense, managing money, and when they are 12, the consequences both emotional and physical of abortion, and sex before marriage.

we spend more money per pupil 10,000, then anyone in the world.

The government schools will never change, without pressure to do so, and i think that pressure is best served with the private sector, who historically, has shown a better job of managing money, because they have to work for it, unlike the government, which gets money without working for it.

Dont get me wrong, we need government, but a corrupt government with two rich parties pretending to care about the poor, with in-efficiency and high spending is not helpful to anyone, regardless of your politics.

How about the schools focus on teaching the curriculum? For most schools, that focus is sorely needed.

why is either one mutually exclusive. Preparing kids for the real world, with real world lessens outside the curriculum is a good idea, but it must be age appropriate, and the teacher must stick to curriculum, keeping their personal and political opinions out of it, so kids are not brainwahsed.

off topic: what about teaching kids how to have healthy relationships, being socially appropriate, having common sense, managing money, and when they are 12, the consequences both emotional and physical of abortion, and sex before marriage.

In our school, 5-8th get 40 hours per year. It's called, life skills. This is beyond sex ed which we incorporate into religion classes.

why is either one mutually exclusive. Preparing kids for the real world, with real world lessens outside the curriculum is a good idea, but it must be age appropriate, and the teacher must stick to curriculum, keeping their personal and political opinions out of it, so kids are not brainwahsed.

They are not mutually exclusive. There is ample real life connections and hands on opportunities within most curriculum. I agree with the last bit though, at least regarding indoctrination of political agenda. The kids must be taught to think.

This study compares mean 2003 National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) reading and mathematics scores of public and private schools in 4th and 8th grades, statistically controlling for individual student characteristics (such as gender, race/ethnicity, disability status, identification as an English language learner) and school characteristics (such as school size, location, and the composition of the student body). In grades 4 and 8, using unadjusted mean scores, students in private schools scored significantly higher than students in public schools for both reading and mathematics. But when school means were adjusted in the HLM analysis, the average for public schools was significantly higher than the average for private schools for grade 4 mathematics and not significantly different for reading. At grade 8, the average for private schools was significantly higher than the average for public schools in reading but not significantly different for mathematics. Comparisons were also carried out between types of sectarian schools. In grade 4, Catholic and Lutheran schools were compared separately to public schools. For both reading and mathematics, the results were similar to those based on all private schools. In grade 8, Catholic, Lutheran, and Conservative Christian schools were each compared to public schools. For Catholic and Lutheran schools for both reading and mathematics, the results were again similar to those based on all private schools. For Conservative Christian schools, the average adjusted school mean in reading was not significantly different from that of public schools. In mathematics, the average adjusted school mean for Conservative Christian schools was significantly lower than that of public schools.

My question is. How come the school couldnt find an expresso machine for $5,000, $7,500, $10,000. 15,000 seems to be a bit excessive.

Now will it pay for itself?. I dont know.

lets say each cup of coffee is 4$. I came to that by average. 3$ is a bit low, 5 is a bit high. Now, if the school, payed students to work the espresso machine, let students run it, order supplies, and the like.

How long will it take to pay off?.

Its a good investment if you can prove it will pay for itself, and the students run it, get paid for it.

The overall problem, is the schools dont have to budget, because its rich parent (the government), gives them money no matter what, without standards.

Now, most schools in the u.s. do not spend the money on students but on admistation buildings.

Your thoughts?

That was covered in this post

She said the addition of the espresso machine has already generated about $250 in additional sales each week. About $75 is from espresso drinks — which generally cost $2.25 to $2.50 — and the rest is from new customers buying food with their drinks.

"It's a very smart business move," said Edmonds School District spokeswoman Debbie Jakala. "Our food-service manager saw a place where there was revenue to be made."

The food-service operation last year contributed $200,000 to the district's general fund, Jakala said.

The money ends up in the general fund.

I just dont understand why it would be seen as a bad idea?

My question is. How come the school couldnt find an expresso machine for $5,000, $7,500, $10,000. 15,000 seems to be a bit excessive.

Now will it pay for itself?. I dont know.

lets say each cup of coffee is 4$. I came to that by average. 3$ is a bit low, 5 is a bit high. Now, if the school, payed students to work the espresso machine, let students run it, order supplies, and the like.

Its a very wise investment.

Now, most schools in the u.s. do not spend the money on students but on admistation buildings.

Your thoughts?

Truly, if the district has $15k to shell out for an espresso machine, they should put it towards another aid in an over crowded classroom or a couple new projectors so they can make the classroom computer work for the whole class.

No, they will not make the cost back, but dozens more children may well do better at understanding the material.

Forum List

Back