$12,000 voucher?

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by LilOlLady, Apr 26, 2011.

1. LilOlLady

LilOlLady Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +761
    $12,000 VOUCHER?

GOP has a lot of explaining to do on how a private healthcare provider can insure a senior for a $12,000 voucher and provide affordable and efficient healthcare. And how seniors can afford it. For instance, a senior who gets $1,000 a month in Social Security and cannot pay premiums, co-pays and deductions for medical service. If a senior make a trip to ER for a fall it can cost $10,000, Rehab stay, $25,000 after a costly hospital and hip surgery. Plus a walker and other medical supplies. Seniors have healthcare problem that younger people do not have. A senior getting $1,000 in Social Security qualify for Medicaid assistance that pay Medicare premiums, co-pays, deduction, a power chair, hip replacements, MIRs, Rehab straw with physical therapy, home health nurse, etc. In other words low income senior do not pay anything for medical care except for co-pay for prescriptions. Medicaid pays the 20% that Medicare do not pay. Seniors make lots of trips to ER.

Private Healthcare Providers cannot afford to insure senior for a $12,000 voucher without going bankrupt or charging senior high co-pays and deduction, etc. And most senior will not be able to afford private healthcare insurance.

Voucher program for seniors is a joke that private healthcare cannot afford and seniors cannot afford either.

What is the advantage of being able to choose which private healthcare provider you want? Is one be able to provide more benefits than the other? Will one cost more depending on the benefits it provide? What do a senior get for $12,000? Will all the vouchers be for $12,000?

I would like to here the GOP explain how the voucher will work beside being able to choose the plan they want. That is all I have heard so far and I cannot see the advantage is doing that. There are two kind of seniors. Low income and higher income depending on their Social Security. Will a voucher cover long term healthcare in a rest home, etc?

2. LilOlLady

LilOlLady Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +761
    There is no private healthcare provider in this country that would cover me for $24,000 voucher a year. I have replasping MS and Hyponatremia and have seizure, diabetic and in a power chair, have a healthcare nurse that come twice a week, I visit ER atleast 3 time a year and hospital for MS relapse and rehab for three weeks. No private healthcare woud even consider covering me. And there are millions of other with other major health problems.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,323
    Long-term care is generally much more in the purview of Medicaid than Medicare: Medicaid is the source of almost half of total LTC spending in the U.S. (roughly a third of Medicaid spending is on LTC).

[​IMG]

And Medicaid doesn't fare well under Ryan's proposal.

By the way, regarding the thread title: according to the CBO, based on what Ryan's staff gave them, "The proposal would set the [Medicare-replacement] premium support payment for a typical 65-year-old at $8,000 in 2022." You're being 50% more generous to Ryan than the facts warrant.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  4. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,218
    Ryan's plan will bankrupt the vast majority of senior citizens in a very short time. On the flipside, I don't think the insurance companies even want to deal with this. How does Ryan's plan even begin to work if the insurance companies decide they don't want to play ball?

5. RDD_1210

RDD_1210 Forms his own opinions

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,017
    Excellent thread. Where are all the conservative responses to this? It's eerily quiet.

6. Big Fitz

Big Fitz User Quit *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,475
    Thank God. Of course, prices will drop if you forced open 'menu style' pricing where hospitals can't keep their charges secret so the public can shop around.

But if I had a voucher for 1000 a month for health care? I'm golden, and I'm 40. Just because it doesn't work for the 2% of the population that are medical train wrecks doesn't mean it won't work outstandingly well for the other 98%

7. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,405
    Medicare was created because nobody wants to insure 70-90 year olds

What makes Ryan think that private insurers would jump at the chance to insure a 75 year old man with diabetes and a heart condition?

8. RDD_1210

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,017
    Your ignorance is AMAZING. :clap2:

So only 2% of the population are seniors?

9. Big Fitz

Big Fitz User Quit *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,475
    You're saying that all seniors are medical trainwrecks now? Your ignorance ain't too shabby either, dick.

But of course, let's penalize the rest of us for the sake of a minority.

10. RDD_1210

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,017
    I never claimed ALL seniors are "medical trainwrecks", but seniors are hardly 2% like you claim. Solid thought process though. :clap2: