$12,000 voucher?

LilOlLady

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2009
Reno, NV
$12,000 VOUCHER?

GOP has a lot of explaining to do on how a private healthcare provider can insure a senior for a $12,000 voucher and provide affordable and efficient healthcare. And how seniors can afford it. For instance, a senior who gets $1,000 a month in Social Security and cannot pay premiums, co-pays and deductions for medical service. If a senior make a trip to ER for a fall it can cost $10,000, Rehab stay, $25,000 after a costly hospital and hip surgery. Plus a walker and other medical supplies. Seniors have healthcare problem that younger people do not have. A senior getting $1,000 in Social Security qualify for Medicaid assistance that pay Medicare premiums, co-pays, deduction, a power chair, hip replacements, MIRs, Rehab straw with physical therapy, home health nurse, etc. In other words low income senior do not pay anything for medical care except for co-pay for prescriptions. Medicaid pays the 20% that Medicare do not pay. Seniors make lots of trips to ER.

Private Healthcare Providers cannot afford to insure senior for a $12,000 voucher without going bankrupt or charging senior high co-pays and deduction, etc. And most senior will not be able to afford private healthcare insurance.

Voucher program for seniors is a joke that private healthcare cannot afford and seniors cannot afford either.

What is the advantage of being able to choose which private healthcare provider you want? Is one be able to provide more benefits than the other? Will one cost more depending on the benefits it provide? What do a senior get for $12,000? Will all the vouchers be for $12,000?

I would like to here the GOP explain how the voucher will work beside being able to choose the plan they want. That is all I have heard so far and I cannot see the advantage is doing that. There are two kind of seniors. Low income and higher income depending on their Social Security. Will a voucher cover long term healthcare in a rest home, etc?

There is no private healthcare provider in this country that would cover me for $24,000 voucher a year. I have replasping MS and Hyponatremia and have seizure, diabetic and in a power chair, have a healthcare nurse that come twice a week, I visit ER atleast 3 time a year and hospital for MS relapse and rehab for three weeks. No private healthcare woud even consider covering me. And there are millions of other with other major health problems.

Will a voucher cover long term healthcare in a rest home, etc?

Long-term care is generally much more in the purview of Medicaid than Medicare: Medicaid is the source of almost half of total LTC spending in the U.S. (roughly a third of Medicaid spending is on LTC).

fs27r_ltc_3.gif

And Medicaid doesn't fare well under Ryan's proposal.

By the way, regarding the thread title: according to the CBO, based on what Ryan's staff gave them, "The proposal would set the [Medicare-replacement] premium support payment for a typical 65-year-old at $8,000 in 2022." You're being 50% more generous to Ryan than the facts warrant.

Last edited:
Ryan's plan will bankrupt the vast majority of senior citizens in a very short time. On the flipside, I don't think the insurance companies even want to deal with this. How does Ryan's plan even begin to work if the insurance companies decide they don't want to play ball?

Excellent thread. Where are all the conservative responses to this? It's eerily quiet.

Long-term care is generally much more in the purview of Medicaid than Medicare: Medicaid is the source of almost half of total LTC spending in the U.S. (roughly a third of Medicaid spending is on LTC).

fs27r_ltc_3.gif

By the way, regarding the thread title: according to the CBO, based on what Ryan's staff gave them, "The proposal would set the [Medicare-replacement] premium support payment for a typical 65-year-old at $8,000 in 2022." You're being 50% more generous to Ryan than the facts warrant.
Thank God. Of course, prices will drop if you forced open 'menu style' pricing where hospitals can't keep their charges secret so the public can shop around.

But if I had a voucher for 1000 a month for health care? I'm golden, and I'm 40. Just because it doesn't work for the 2% of the population that are medical train wrecks doesn't mean it won't work outstandingly well for the other 98%

Medicare was created because nobody wants to insure 70-90 year olds

What makes Ryan think that private insurers would jump at the chance to insure a 75 year old man with diabetes and a heart condition?

fs27r_ltc_3.gif

Thank God. Of course, prices will drop if you forced open 'menu style' pricing where hospitals can't keep their charges secret so the public can shop around.

But if I had a voucher for 1000 a month for health care? I'm golden, and I'm 40. Just because it doesn't work for the 2% of the population that are medical train wrecks doesn't mean it won't work outstandingly well for the other 98%

Your ignorance is AMAZING. :clap2:

So only 2% of the population are seniors?

fs27r_ltc_3.gif

You're saying that all seniors are medical trainwrecks now? Your ignorance ain't too shabby either, dick.

But of course, let's penalize the rest of us for the sake of a minority.

You're saying that all seniors are medical trainwrecks now? Your ignorance ain't too shabby either, dick.

But of course, let's penalize the rest of us for the sake of a minority.

I never claimed ALL seniors are "medical trainwrecks", but seniors are hardly 2% like you claim. Solid thought process though. :clap2:

Hey folks we know if we cut the insurance companies in for a piece of the Medicare tax dollars we will get better services at a lower cost, that is just common sense ;)

As I see it, we're stuck betwen a rock and a hard place when it comes to health care in this country. Everybody supports the idea that the current system before ObamaCare came along was unsustainable, even the GOP said so. The costs are indeed skyrocketing out of control, no debate there, right?

All of the proposals so far boils down to 2 main concepts: the gov't, in the form of the IPAB, will set HC prices to reign in costs, or the free market does through insurance companies. There really isn't a 3rd option out there as far as I know.

The last I heard, ObamaCare is slated to cut $500 billion in Medicare costs. This after dumping 30 million new uninsured people into the system. There's only three ways this can go: either the cost of co-pays goes way up, the costs of procedures is controlled, or the health care costs in this country continue to spiral up. At 1st blush, everybody likes option #2, but as every economist knows, price controls lead to shortages. Providers are already denying new Medicare patients, you think it's tough now to find a good doctor? Wait in 5-10 years. Plus, what'll happen to the quality of care, should you be lucky enought to get it. Will the IPAB eventually be involved in deciding the criteria for who gets what types of care? Obama wants to make these unelected guys immune from Congressional approval, how's that grab you?

The other side is have the free market control prices instead of the IPAB. The gov't would subsidize people to buy their own insurance policies, presumeably through an open national esxchange. Great, but this means higher individual costs too, and how effective would it be in holding down HC costs? It's great to use free market principles to hold down prices, but it hasn't worked too well so far. You can effectively hold down the gov'ts budget for HC, but you essentially leave the public adrift to make up whatever the diffeence is between what the insurance company will do and what they need. Not to mention higher costs for them in co-pays as the system progresses. Don't know about things like pre-existing conditions or the right to refuse coverage. There's a bottom side to the profit motive, haven't heard much about that part of the debate.

The truth to me is, we're screwed either way. Co-pays are going to go way up either way, but at least the public has the option of shopping around for insurance and would presumeably be more involved in watching the costs if they have to pay for a part of it. No such incentive would exist if the gov't continues to pay the bills. But how do we make sure people don't get screwed?

$12,000 VOUCHER?

GOP has a lot of explaining to do on how a private healthcare provider can insure a senior for a $12,000 voucher and provide affordable and efficient healthcare. And how seniors can afford it. For instance, a senior who gets $1,000 a month in Social Security and cannot pay premiums, co-pays and deductions for medical service. If a senior make a trip to ER for a fall it can cost $10,000, Rehab stay, $25,000 after a costly hospital and hip surgery. Plus a walker and other medical supplies. Seniors have healthcare problem that younger people do not have. A senior getting $1,000 in Social Security qualify for Medicaid assistance that pay Medicare premiums, co-pays, deduction, a power chair, hip replacements, MIRs, Rehab straw with physical therapy, home health nurse, etc. In other words low income senior do not pay anything for medical care except for co-pay for prescriptions. Medicaid pays the 20% that Medicare do not pay. Seniors make lots of trips to ER.

Private Healthcare Providers cannot afford to insure senior for a $12,000 voucher without going bankrupt or charging senior high co-pays and deduction, etc. And most senior will not be able to afford private healthcare insurance.

Voucher program for seniors is a joke that private healthcare cannot afford and seniors cannot afford either.

What is the advantage of being able to choose which private healthcare provider you want? Is one be able to provide more benefits than the other? Will one cost more depending on the benefits it provide? What do a senior get for $12,000? Will all the vouchers be for $12,000?

I would like to here the GOP explain how the voucher will work beside being able to choose the plan they want. That is all I have heard so far and I cannot see the advantage is doing that. There are two kind of seniors. Low income and higher income depending on their Social Security. Will a voucher cover long term healthcare in a rest home, etc?

I'd like you to explain how, if Private Health Care Providers will go bankrupt by providing care to seniors for $12,000 a year premiums, how our country will not go bankrupt if we provided unlimited care for free?

$12,000 VOUCHER?

I'd like you to explain how, if Private Health Care Providers will go bankrupt by providing care to seniors for $12,000 a year premiums, how our country will not go bankrupt if we provided unlimited care for free?

We do not and won't do that so your question is idiotic.

$12,000 VOUCHER?

Thank you for providing yet more proof of that the progressive agenda is intellectually bankrupt.

Giving you a voucher to buy private health insurance is forcing you, under threat of financial penalty,

to buy a service/product from a private company.

Isn't that what the Right pretty much unanimously claimed was the unconstitutional part of so-called Obamacare?

Thank you for providing yet more proof of that the progressive agenda is intellectually bankrupt.

What healthcare in this country is unlimited and free?

Giving you a voucher to buy private health insurance is forcing you, under threat of financial penalty,

to buy a service/product from a private company.

Isn't that what the Right pretty much unanimously claimed was the unconstitutional part of so-called Obamacare?

Who says you have to use the voucher? I havenot seen anything to suggest under Ryan's plan that participation is mandatory. If it does, then yes, it should be unconstitutional.

Forum List

Back