Vt. House passes single-payer health care bill

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
This is how single payer started in Canada, in one province.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/vermont/articles/2011/03/24/vt_house_approves_health_
care_marketplace_bill/ :clap2:

MONTPELIER, Vt.—Every Vermonter could sign up for state-financed health insurance under a bill passed by the House on Thursday that would put the state on a path to a single-payer health care system by the middle of this decade.

Tweet Be the first to Tweet this!
Yahoo! BuzzShareThis
"This bill takes our state one step closer to a system that ensures that all Vermonters have access to the care they deserve and contains costs," House Speaker Shap Smith said shortly after the House passed the bill 92-49.
<more>

Medicare for all...and not voucher medicare, but real medicare.

It scares the hell out of republican politicians. They are paid serous money to not let this happen. I think Nascar got it right...wear your sponsors on your suits.

Medicare for all...and not voucher medicare, but real medicare.

It scares the hell out of republican politicians. They are paid serous money to not let this happen. I think Nascar got it right...wear your sponsors on your suits.

The question becomes what happens to the number of docs in vermont when the single payer agency becomes the sole source of thier income, and decides to "cut costs" by reducing doctor fees?

Also what about when they go out of state? Is that like being a non network provider and you are out of luck?

If they keep it contained in the state it will be intersting.

Don't need to lose my house...I'll just rent a cheap apartment in Vermont and go mooch.

So when you can't afford your own, you'll become the welfare child of Vermont. That is more what I would expect from someone like you who claims to be so self reliant.

what happens when the doctors decide to leave because they can't afford to live there?

If they think this through and do it right, they will find a way to help pay for a portion of doctor's educational costs, making the initial investment less to become a doctor in that state. Then there won't be a need to make as large of an income. You might actually see people going into the medical profession for more than just the money.

IIRC, every state in the union has until 2014 to either accept the Federal Obamacare plan, or create their own plan that meets or exceeds it's parameters

Now it's disputed, right on up to the Scotus, that Obamacare is unconstitutional, if not out and out fasict in design

Any sm biz can tell you all about how big insurance mandates turn them inside out with audits, and vieled threats to validate such terminology

So, pick your posion folks, either the Feds crawl up yer a*s, or your state does

The way i see it, at least in the small political pond of Vermont, one's voice is a lot louder

April 26, 2011
Attractive?
... the state will have a very rude awakening when all of the money now being raised from taxes on health care has to be funded through &#8220;broad based taxes&#8221; because health insurance won&#8217;t be around to act as a tax collector.
Jeannie Keller

So now the Vermont Senate has passed preliminary legislation that its supporters believe will ultimately move the state toward a single payer health care system. No surprise. For its supporters, single payer is not so much a plan at this moment as it is a faith. They are convinced it will do all manner of wonderful things without getting terribly specific about how this will be accomplished and at what cost.

They speak, instead, of "principles" that will guide the establishment of single payer, one of which is that:

Providers and hospitals would be paid at a level that ensures their work is sustainable and their jobs, attractive.

Legislation to guarantee that jobs are "attractive."

When politicians talk this way, it is a sign that we have a long, long way to go, before we start getting real. And we can count on some very rude awakenings along the way. To include the one the Keller describes. At present, hospitals and providers are subsidizing some patients and over-charging others and taking a hit from the state.

These cost shifting schemes are, you understand, so much more "attractive" to politicians than taxation out in the open.

http://www.vermonttiger.com/

Last edited:
Don't need to lose my house...I'll just rent a cheap apartment in Vermont and go mooch.

You won't be mooching.

Vermont has the highest taxes in New England.

And, depending on what you're used to, I suspect you'll discover that a cheap apartment in Vermont costs more than renting an average house in the South.

What does Vermont’s health care bill do?

1.Creates a health care system, Green Mountain Care, to “provide comprehensive, affordable, high-quality health care coverage for all Vermont residents,” overseen by an independent board representing patients, providers, and employers.

2.Provides health care for every person “regardless of income, assets [or] health status.”

3.Directs the governor to come up with a funding plan by 2013.

What are unions and advocates fighting to fix?

1.They’re concerned the bill places cost containment over human rights goals (for example, by allowing co-pays).

2.They want to prevent private insurance companies from collecting premiums. The House bill anticipates a continuing role for private insurance.

3.They want to prohibit companies from keeping their workers out of the system. Everybody in, nobody out!

Health Care for All Takes Big Stride in Vermont | Labor Notes

oh and, Vermont was the first civil union state btw

just a nugget for all you lib bashers who'd like to associate HC to Gay rights

what happens when the doctors decide to leave because they can't afford to live there?

If they think this through and do it right, they will find a way to help pay for a portion of doctor's educational costs, making the initial investment less to become a doctor in that state. Then there won't be a need to make as large of an income. You might actually see people going into the medical profession for more than just the money.

You would have to create a contract to prevent them from leaving to early after providing for thier education.

After that time, I'm not sure that even the most dedicated doctor will not think about moving after seeing someone with thier exact level of experience making X amount more than they are just across a state line.

" 3. Directs the governor to come up with a funding plan by 2013. "

Oh yeah, this is gonna be good, what do you suppose current democratic governor Peter Shumlin in thinking right now? "How the fuck do you expect me to find all the money to pay for this shit?"

Ain't but one way to go with a single payer, gov't run system, and that's price controls. Healthcare providers will leave the state for greener pastures. There'll be some higher taxes, but it won't cover the deficits they're going to get. So, they'll have to decide the criteria for who gets what care. IOW, death panels by another name of course. Ain't going to be pretty.

" 3. Directs the governor to come up with a funding plan by 2013. "

Oh yeah, this is gonna be good, what do you suppose current democratic governor Peter Shumlin in thinking right now? "How the fuck do you expect me to find all the money to pay for this shit?"

Ain't but one way to go with a single payer, gov't run system, and that's price controls. Healthcare providers will leave the state for greener pastures. There'll be some higher taxes, but it won't cover the deficits they're going to get. So, they'll have to decide the criteria for who gets what care. IOW, death panels by another name of course. Ain't going to be pretty.

I just thought it was hilarious that A) paying for it is prioritized third on list and B) they want to put it off until 2013. God forbid the pie in the sky dems actually have deal with little things like practicality or logistics.

Forum List

Back