11 Year Old Girl Is Pregnant, Sparks Abortion Debate

Noomi

Ninja Kicker
Jul 6, 2012
Australia
Doctors say the girl, who is 14 weeks pregnant, is at high risk if the pregnancy continues. In other words, she could die, because her body is not developed enough to carry a fetus to term. But abortions in her home country of Chile are not permitted for medical reasons.

Clearly this is a medical reason. We have a small child, who became pregnant after she was raped by her mothers partner, and the law doesn't allow her to have a termination, despite the fact the risk to both fetus and child/mother are high:

THE case of a pregnant 11-year old girl who was raped in Chile by her mother's partner has set off a national debate about abortion.

State TV reported that the girl known only as "Belen'' is 14 weeks pregnant. Police arrested her mother's partner who confessed to abusing the fifth grader. Doctors say her life and that of the fetus are at high risk. But ending the pregnancy is not an option.

Chile allowed abortions for medical reasons until they were outlawed in 1973 by General Augusto Pinochet's dictatorship. The current government of conservative President Sebastian Pinera has opposed any loosening of the prohibition.

Many Chileans were venting outrage on social media on Friday. Some have started an online campaign to demand legalisation of abortion in cases of rape or health risks for mother.

Chile's Senate rejected three bills last year that would have eased the absolute ban on abortions.

One of the bills would have permitted abortion when two doctors said it was needed because of risks to a mother's life or other medical reasons, such as a fetus with low chances of survival.

Another of the measures rejected would have allowed abortion in the event of rape.

Read more: Pregnant child, 11, sparks abortion debate in Chile | News.com.au

Abortion is not even allowed in cases of rape. Its a total blanket ban, which is completely wrong.

My view - a child should not be having a child. She is 11 years old, she has been raped and abused by someone who should have been caring for her, she should have a termination in order to protect her health, and her life.

Opinions?

Do we know whether an 11 year old child could survive a C section? Are there risks there as well? For that matter, are there risks in an abortion? Which carry the highest risks?

Last edited:
Could an 11 year old survive an abortion?
Why is abortion the first avenue here?

Abortion should be a necessity, not an ambivalent choice of convenience.

She has a better chance of surviving an abortion than a pregnancy. She is only 11, she needs to come first. Abortion in this case should be necessary to preserve her health.

She has a better chance of surviving an abortion than a pregnancy. She is only 11, she needs to come first. Abortion in this case should be necessary to preserve her health.

I'm just as concerned for the child as the mother. How about you?

I am concerned about an 11 year old girl who was raped, and who may be physically and mentally ruined because of this pregnancy. My concern is not with the fetus.

I am concerned about an 11 year old girl who was raped, and who may be physically and mentally ruined because of this pregnancy. My concern is not with the fetus.

I did some quick Googling and it appears this girl has little reason to be concerned, since childbirth at such a young age is well documented. And with today's medical achievements, her child is most certainly viable at any stage.

So why would you like to see this baby killed?

I did some quick Googling and it appears this girl has little reason to be concerned, since childbirth at such a young age is well documented. And with today's medical achievements, her child is most certainly viable at any stage.

Her own doctors have said that the pregnancy is high risk.

i do not think anyone said they would like to see the baby killed, least of all noomi.

sometimes, very hard choices need to be made, but i do not think this a choice of convenience. no, this is not a question of convenience.

My then 40 year old wife's pregnancy was designated "high risk". The physician attending the initial ultrasound quite emphatically pointed out Downs Syndrome indicators. He advised us to discuss our "options".

"High risk" pregnancies these days are most certainly survivable.

BTW, Ms. N., just who is "at risk" here?

It appears that any compassion you may have for children begins at the vaginal ejection. And nothing prior.

This isn't a discussion about trading a life for a life, it's a discussion about the Liberal ideology as it pertains to decisive rights. And I'm not shy in advocating decisive rights for those not yet able to exert those rights.

All 3 of my pregnancies were deemed 'high risk.' The last 26 years ago. All three are fine, married, and university graduates. Two are 'gifted' IQ wise, let's not get into commonsense.

I've seen nothing that would lead me to believe this girl, and she is only a girl, is in a life-threatening position. If someone can show that she's less than 80 pounds, I'd reconsider my position.

While personally I think that rape is one of the few reasons to terminate, it should be very early in pregnancy. Yes, 'health of the mother' too is a reason, but not a blanket reason. As indicated, if she's too developmentally small to sustain a pregnancy, I'd go with that. Truth is that girls are reaching puberty in 3rd and 4th grades now, at least in US.

My then 40 year old wife's pregnancy was designated "high risk". The physician attending the initial ultrasound quite emphatically pointed out Downs Syndrome indicators. He advised us to discuss our "options".

It appears that any compassion you may have for children begins at the vaginal ejection. And nothing prior.

This isn't a discussion about trading a life for a life, it's a discussion about the Liberal ideology as it pertains to decisive rights. And I'm not shy in advocating decisive rights for those not yet able to exert those rights.

i am pro-life but this is the case of an 11 y.o. who has been raped and whose doctors say her life is in danger.

Last edited:
All 3 of my pregnancies were deemed 'high risk.' The last 26 years ago. All three are fine, married, and university graduates. Two are 'gifted' IQ wise, let's not get into commonsense.

I've seen nothing that would lead me to believe this girl, and she is only a girl, is in a life-threatening position. If someone can show that she's less than 80 pounds, I'd reconsider my position.

While personally I think that rape is one of the few reasons to terminate, it should be very early in pregnancy. Yes, 'health of the mother' too is a reason, but not a blanket reason. As indicated, if she's too developmentally small to sustain a pregnancy, I'd go with that. Truth is that girls are reaching puberty in 3rd and 4th grades now, at least in US.

i think your attitude would be different were you 11 y.o. and the victim of a rape.

i am pro-life but this is the case of an 11 y.o. who has been raped and whose doctors say her life is in danger.

And there you have it... the empirical extremes. The ultimate love of a mother is to her own progeny, not to herself. But these days, what's love got to do with it...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu8KFlfzk3Y]What's Love Got To Do With It (Black & White Version) - YouTube[/ame]

i think your attitude would be different were you 11 y.o. and the victim of a rape.

Based upon what?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvWu1qwz0ac]More Doctors Smoke Camels Than Any Other Cigarette.flv - YouTube[/ame]

The child was raped. Here in the US, that is one of the reasons an abortion can be granted.

If she carries to full term, she could possibly die, because she's only 11 years old, and her body isn't equipped to bear children. Health risk to the mother is another reason why abortions can be granted here in the US.

Besides...................do you really think an 11 or 12 year old KID is going to have the understanding, patience and knowledge to properly raise her child? It's gonna end up falling to her mother who would have to take care of BOTH of them.

And......................I don't think that the 11 year olds mother is going to take good care of either child, because her boyfriend is the one that raped the 11 year old.

The child was raped. Here in the US, that is one of the reasons an abortion can be granted.

If she carries to full term, she could possibly die, because she's only 11 years old, and her body isn't equipped to bear children. Health risk to the mother is another reason why abortions can be granted here in the US.

Besides...................do you really think an 11 or 12 year old KID is going to have the understanding, patience and knowledge to properly raise her child? It's gonna end up falling to her mother who would have to take care of BOTH of them.

And......................I don't think that the 11 year olds mother is going to take good care of either child, because her boyfriend is the one that raped the 11 year old.

Nothing is ever black and white, is it?

Outright bans never work and this is an illustration of why. The real question is going to be whether or not she aborts regardless of the law. That is a real possibility and not nearly as good for all involved.

Forum List

Back