11 things the Bible bans, but you do anyway

Making fun of christianity is a sport to liberals and I find it to be stupid.

I think she's more making a point than making fun.

It's a legitimate question - if the Bible is the moral authority to oppose gay marriage, why do we not use the Bible to oppose, say, eating shellfish?

Read the Bible and you'll learn why.. she either doesn't know the Bible herself or shes simply being disingenuous.

Not sure how Christians can spin away a divorce. It is pretty obvious what God's opinion is.

FTA:
Divorce. The Bible is very clear on this one: No divorcing. You can't do it. Because when you marry someone, according to Mark 10:8, you "are no longer two, but one flesh." And, Mark 10:9 reads, "What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate."

It's a legitimate question - if the Bible is the moral authority to oppose gay marriage, why do we not use the Bible to oppose, say, eating shellfish?

Read the Bible and you'll learn why.. she either doesn't know the Bible herself or shes simply being disingenuous.

I don't find myself disagreeing with you all that often but in this case I do.

It is a legitimate point that she makes. Many Christians condemn homosexuals because of the verses in Leviticus 18 that deal with homosexuality. Yet, they go right on disrespecting their parents, (lev 19:3), working on the Sabbath (lev 19:3), worshipping idols i.e. the latest babe on TV (lev 19:4), stealing and lieing (lev 19:11) etc. etc. etc. Just read Leviticus 19 and make a checklist of the laws that you have broken recently and throughout your lifetime.

I didn't read BD's OP as a slam against Christians. I read it as a point that she was trying to make and she's right. We as Christians fail and we should not be judging our brothers but rather we should be praying for ourselves and for our brothers.

Immie

It's almost cute how you assume that anybody who doesn't agree with you is operating from a place of ignorance.

And Like PapaG just said; what about divorce?

Some people have already read the Bible and they point out some incongruencies. It is not the job of a non-Christian to resolve Bible incongruencies.

Active Christians usually find a way to have the Bible make the most sense to them. That is a matter of their faith. There should be no threat to active Christians if non-Christians find some Bible verses odd and question their relevance.

That's not an answer. I have read the Bible, or at least much of it.

I just had a really interesting thought (as a former fundy). Could the average churchgoing member of USMB type the same posts they normally type here - in the middle of a praise and worship service.

And no. I'm not just talking threads like this. I'm talking every time you verbally slam someone who doesn't perceive things as you do, regardless of subject matter.

Maybe that's what it's all about. The American left is confused about the difference between Christianity and government. Only the government has the power to ban something. The Bible is about forgiveness.

I am honored to call you friend. There are some amazing people on this site - we just need to keep our eyes and hearts open.

but...but...Infidel is an Evil Conservative!!!!!! :eek:

(He even admits it!!!!! :eek:)

I thought you were calling Infidel Conservative's sock and I thought "Oh, well; I friended him, too." ;)
Pfffttt! You'll friend anybody!

*checks to make sure you've friended me...*

Yup! :lol:

but...but...Infidel is an Evil Conservative!!!!!! :eek:

(He even admits it!!!!! :eek:)

I thought you were calling Infidel Conservative's sock and I thought "Oh, well; I friended him, too." ;)

However, if I friend someone and they show their ass at me in a more than spectacular fashion, I will unfriend them. It feels ridiculous to have somebody on my friend list who spits tacks at the sight of me.

However, if I friend someone and they show their ass at me in a more than spectacular fashion, I will unfriend them. It feels ridiculous to have somebody on my friend list who spits tacks at the sight of me.
I'd ask if you mean anyone in particular, but you might end up violating one of those biblical edicts.
04.gif

I'd ask if you mean anyone in particular, but you might end up violating one of those biblical edicts.
04.gif

:lol:

Maybe that's what it's all about. The American left is confused about the difference between Christianity and government. Only the government has the power to ban something. The Bible is about forgiveness.

It is?

Frankly, it goes on for about 600 pages with God smiting and punishing people randomly, inflicting all sorts of misery on them, before Jesus shows up, and then it ends with a threat.

It's like if a man beats his wife and children for years, takes them out to Applebees one night, and then threatens to kill them all if they don't act right.

He who walks with wise men will be wise; but the companion of fools will be destroyed. Proverbs 13:20

That's not an answer. I have read the Bible, or at least much of it.

If you read and understood the bible then you wouldn't need an answer, but I think someone has already addressed your question anyway. :cool:

Ralph Waldo Emerson: “The meaning of good and bad, of better and worse, is simply helping or hurting.”

The wise seek the path of helping, not hurting.

Consider whether the light hearted OP is helping or hurting whom.

Last edited:
Who is it 'helping' exactly? Too funny... :lol:

Who is this thread helping? Everyone. It helps to lighten up. It helps us all to not take every thread seriously.

Do you feel harmed by this thread? If so, why?

Some of the things forbidden by the Bible in the OP are silly; round haircuts, tatoos, polyester, shellfish, wearing pearls.

Is it really hurting your faith if non-christians chuckle at a few of these?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back