11 things the Bible bans, but you do anyway

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
11 Things The Bible Bans, But You Do Anyway - 11Points.com

So I thought it'd be a good time to find a bunch of stuff that the Bible bans... stuff that's a lot LESS convenient. Don't worry, though... just because I'm pointing it out, that doesn't mean you now have to follow it. It's a lot easier to keep discriminating against gay people for no particular reason than to stop eating bacon, after all.

Here are 11 things that are technically banned by the Bible. (All quotes are translations from the New American Standard Bible, but, because I'm actually trying to maintain serious journalistic integrity here, I cross-referenced several other translations to make sure I wasn't missing the point.)

There shouldn't be a thread because HEY! It's the Bible and everybody knows it's just like the Pope.

/thread

• Banned
My favorite bit;

Check the tag on your shirt right now. Didn't realize you were mid-sin at this exact second, did you? (Unless you checked the tag by rolling off your neighbor's wife while you two were having anal sex in the middle of robbing a blind guy. Then your Lycra-spandex blend is really the least of your problems.)

So I thought it'd be a good time to find a bunch of stuff that the Bible bans... stuff that's a lot LESS convenient. Don't worry, though... just because I'm pointing it out, that doesn't mean you now have to follow it. It's a lot easier to keep discriminating against gay people for no particular reason than to stop eating bacon, after all.

Here are 11 things that are technically banned by the Bible. (All quotes are translations from the New American Standard Bible, but, because I'm actually trying to maintain serious journalistic integrity here, I cross-referenced several other translations to make sure I wasn't missing the point.)

There shouldn't be a thread because HEY! It's the Bible and everybody knows it's just like the Pope.

/thread

The old laws are abolished.
We follow the new law through faith, that Jesus is real and that we still obey the moral and ethical laws and the ten commandments.

Galatians 3:23-25

English Standard Version (ESV)

23 Now before faith came, we were held captive under the law, imprisoned until the coming faith would be revealed. 24 So then, the law was our guardian until Christ came, in order that we might be justified by faith. 25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.

/thread

This just further backs up my opinion that having faith in God and not Religions is the right way to be ;)

• Banned

/thread

The old laws are abolished.
We follow the new law through faith, that Jesus is real and that we still obey the moral and ethical laws and the ten commandments.

Galatians 3:23-25

English Standard Version (ESV)

23 Now before faith came, we were held captive under the law, imprisoned until the coming faith would be revealed. 24 So then, the law was our guardian until Christ came, in order that we might be justified by faith. 25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.

Yes. Exactly.

And since Christ himself never said anything on the subject, I believe we are all clear.

• Banned

/thread

This just further backs up my opinion that having faith in God and not Religions is the right way to be ;)

/shakes weak, ineffectual fist all about

"And you can pry this bacon from my cold, dead hands!!!"

Its always easy to poke fun at us christians isn't it?

Is there a reason you're trying to cut me out from the flock, home skillet?

Funny you should call me that... its my nickname because I do the cooking at offroading functions :lol:

Making fun of christianity is a sport to liberals and I find it to be stupid.

But we do make for an easy target...as in we wont kill you for it, so carry on.

Funny you should call me that... its my nickname because I do the cooking at offroading functions :lol:

You call me friend, right? Maybe stop and think about what's going on here.

I think humor helps us take ourselves less seriously. I like the phrase, "Let's put the fun back in fundamentalism".

Last edited:

I think humor helps us take ourselves less seriously. I like the phrase, "Let's put the fun back in fundamentalism".

Fair enough guys, but why not put it in humor section or maybe flame zone or rubber room?
Just seems to be a jab at christians and their beliefs.

I promise... Im not whining. Just curious why is all.

Fair enough guys, but why not put it in humor section or maybe flame zone or rubber room?
Just seems to be a jab at christians and their beliefs.

I promise... Im not whining. Just curious why is all.

I didn't take this thread as a jab toward Christians. I should know since I've jabbed Christians plenty. (Please pray that's in the past permanently).

I think having humor in the religion section helps lighten the place up. I don't think BDBoop in anyway intended this thread to be malicious. It seems more a good natured poke.

There are some things that appear in religion that are funny. Usually those are things that no one really believes anymore but were once a part of belief in a serious way.

How is this thread making fun of Christians? I don't see it.

Oh come on .... can anyone really argue with the first one?

Bowl_98336.jpg
bowl-751214-21d9wf6.jpg
Undercut.jpg

Rather than "We put the 'fun' in 'Dysfunctional!'"

Jesus and His disciples did not observe the strict Jewish rules against doing any work on the Sabbath (Matthew 12:1-14, Mark 2:23-28, 3:1-6, Luke 6:1-11, 13:10-17, 14:1-6, John 5:1-18).

In contrast to the "clean" and "unclean rules," Jesus said no food can defile a person. It is bad attitudes and actions that can make a person unholy (Matthew 15:1-20, Mark 7:1-23).

Council of Jerusalem
The first Christians came from among the Jews, and they continued to observe the Law of Moses as well as their new Christian faith. But as more and more Gentiles (non-Jews) converted to Christianity, there were disputes about whether or not these Gentile Christians must observe the Law. Issues of circumcision and diet were especially troublesome.

In about the year 49 A.D., Peter, Paul, Barnabas, James and other Christian leaders met in Jerusalem to settle the issue (Acts 15:1-29). It was agreed that no conditions should be imposed on the Gentile converts except faith in Christ. However, the council directed the Gentile Christians abstain from certain things that were particularly offensive to their Jewish brethren - food sacrificed to idols, blood, meat of strangled animals and sexual immorality (Acts 15:29).

The New Covenant
With the coming of Christ, God has established a new covenant with mankind (Jeremiah 31:31-34, Luke 22:20, 1 Corinthians 11:25, Hebrews 8:8-13, 9:11-15). Jesus and His apostles gave us a radically new understanding of the true intent of the Old Testament Law; they brought a new era of the rule of love for all people and spiritual truth instead of rule by law (Luke 10:25-28, John 13:34-35, Ephesians 2:14-18).

However, God has not revoked His original covenant with Israel and the Jewish people (Luke 1:72, Acts 3:25, Romans 9:4-5, 11:26-29, Galatians 3:17). The New Covenant does not condemn the Jews, nor does it in any way justify persecution of Jews.

Conclusion
The teachings of Jesus, the Council of Jerusalem, and other New Testament teachings (John 1:16-17, Acts 13:39, Romans 2:25-29, 8:1-4, 1 Corinthians 9:19-21, Galatians 2:15-16, Ephesians 2:15) make it clear that Christians are not required to follow the Old Testament rules about crimes and punishments, warfare, slavery, diet, circumcision, sacrifice, feast days, Sabbath observance, ritual cleanness, etc.

Forum List

Back