1 In 4 Americans Thinks The Sun Goes Around The Earth, Survey Says

Lets teach our children how to do math, writing, reading, science, history, build infrastructure and innovate. Lets keep sex out of the class room.
Yeah that's not what Libs talk about when they talk about education. They talk about massive amounts of sociology classes, women's history, gay history, african american history, and art classes. I swear going to college for engineering in the first 2 years I had as much of those kind of classes as I did of science/math classes. That's why this country's educational system is dumb.

We are so screwed , This is what happens when science is denigrated and magical thinking is elevated

1 In 4 Americans Thinks The Sun Goes Around The Earth Survey Says The Two-Way NPR
Americans, dumb as dog shit.

Did you bother reading the article ?

As alarming as some of those deficits in science knowledge might appear, Americans fared better on several of the questions than similar, but older surveys of their Chinese and European counterparts.

Only 66 percent of people in a 2005 European Union poll answered the basic astronomy question correctly. However, both China and the EU fared significantly better (66 percent and 70 percent, respectively) on the question about human evolution.

I read this entire thread, and not a single one of you apparently noticed that according to this same article, we did better than than the EU on this same question.

Only 66 percent of people in a 2005 European Union poll answered the basic astronomy question correctly.

I read this entire thread, and not a single one of you apparently noticed that according to this same article, we did better than than the EU on this same question.

Only 66 percent of people in a 2005 European Union poll answered the basic astronomy question correctly.
Adherence to hardcore partisan ideology creates tunnel vision, and the patient doesn't even appear to know it.

Adherence to hardcore partisan ideology creates tunnel vision, and the patient doesn't even appear to know it.

It seems so. The thread turned into blaming American home schooling and Christianity, yet had they bothered reading they would have seen that apparently if you go around the world, you'll see that many people everywhere believe the sun revolves around the earth.

It seems so. The thread turned into blaming American home schooling and Christianity, yet had they bothered reading they would have seen that apparently if you go around the world, you'll see that many people everywhere believe the sun revolves around the earth.
There's just no excuse for that in our case.

Homeschooling notwithstanding, there is no excuse for ANY of our schools to produce results like this.

Confident Idiots American Students Growing More Confident Less Capable

We are so screwed , This is what happens when science is denigrated and magical thinking is elevated

1 In 4 Americans Thinks The Sun Goes Around The Earth Survey Says The Two-Way NPR

Could actually argue it does. All depends on your point of view. Both the Sun and the planets orbiting it are in motion relative to any fixed point of spacetime.

All the stars of the galaxy are in motion orbiting the galactic center. Depending on what you focus on, what's orbiting what can change. :) If focusing on the galactic center, the Sun is orbiting it, and the planets orbiting the Sun could appear to be getting orbited by the Sun.

Ok you'd have to really try hard to see that but still it's conceivable. :)

Sun's velocity is about 483,000 MPH in its' orbit around the Galactic center. The Russian MIR cosmonaut who holds the record for longest duration in orbit is said to have aged slightly slower oweing to his 25,000 MPH orbital velocity (relativistic time dilation.) Was only a fraction of a second, but interestingly we're all aging slower than we would if truly stationary because of the Sun's orbital velocity. We're in effect time travelling continuously.

OKCupid's personality questionaire had "what's bigger? the earth or the moon?" And hand to God, saw some who said Moon.

Galilelo wept. :)
It was actually whether the sun or earth is bigger and I also put earth because it was a stupid question so I responded with a stupid answer. Ha

Forum List

Back