1 hour getting smarter about manufacturing Kodak Film

I'm not knocking digital cameras, I've used them since 1999 to post pictures in Ebay auctions. I'm just saying there's been a recent resurgence of film photography for nostalgia's sake.

I'm with you, there. I've lately been feeling yearnings in that direction—to get some basic darkroom equipment, revive all my old film cameras, and take and process pictures from them. Probably won't happen, but I have been feeling the draw toward it. I have plenty of cameras that would like to see some use, from my 1972 Nikon F2, the Brownie Hawkeye pictured a few posts ago, and a wonderful old 1950s Kodak Tourist II that I inherited from my mother when she passed away a few years ago. And of course, my old 1939 Argus C3. I almost forgot to mention it, as well as my two Minoltas, a 110 Zoom SLR, and a Minolta 16 II. Getting my hands on film for that last one might not be easy.

I'm with you, there. I've lately been feeling yearnings in that direction—to get some basic darkroom equipment, revive all my old film cameras, and take and process pictures from them. Probably won't happen, but I have been feeling the draw toward it. I have plenty of cameras that would like to see some use, from my 1972 Nikon F2, the Brownie Hawkeye pictured a few posts ago, and a wonderful old 1950s Kodak Tourist II that I inherited from my mother when she passed away a few years ago. And of course, my old 1939 Argus C3. I almost forgot to mention it, as well as my two Minoltas, a 110 Zoom SLR, and a Minolta 16 II. Getting my hands on film for that last one might not be easy.

If you really want a challenge, look for one of those 35mm stereo cameras, like the Stereo Realist, Kodak, Revere, or Wollensak. Those things used to bring hundreds of dollars on Ebay, before everyone found out they had one in their attic.

Vintage 3D Film Cameras

This video is an hour long. What it shows is the complete manufacturing, packaging and engineering at the Kodak Factory at Rochester New York. OF 35mm Film and the canisters.
Folks, I owned a machine shop. I made some very important and very intricate parts for machines and at times made machines for customers. This is very detailed. It is very complicated. It also is amazing. I enjoy engineering and manufacturing of machines. So of course if you want to watch it in segments, that works too.

I just ran across this guy doing an update on "Physics Girl". Shes been bedridden for nearly a year with Long Covid. I've seen only a couple cases like hers

Last edited:
Probably the same reason Walmart is carrying reissues of vinyl records. Like analog vinyl, film has a certain "warmth" to it. I tried using a film camera a few month ago since I had one that I bought at a garage sale a couple years ago, for pretty cheap. You can pick up cameras that used to cost hundreds of dollars for $5 if you get lucky. The problem is finding 35mm film. Drug stores don't carry it anymore. Walmart was supposed to have some, but they were out. There's a lot of it on Ebay, but it's pricey.

Luckily I found a shitload of it at an Amish dent and bent store for $1.00, so I bought it all out. I messed around with it for awhile, but it takes more time than I wanted to spend in order to master the darned thing. Plus the fact that getting a roll developed these days costs about $15. Film cameras give you more control over the image exposure and shutter speed, than digital cameras.
You should learn to develop film

Its not that hard

I just ran across this guy doing an update on "Physics Girl". Shes been bedridden for nearly a year with Long Covid. I've seen only a couple cases like hers
I have seen some of Physics girls videos and she does a good bit of educating viewers.
The video I put up in the OP shows her bedridden. This is awful. I wonder how many of the antivaxers are also bedridden due to them being stubborn?

As in any other format, it has a lot to do with the film you use. Panatomic-X will deliver much higher resolution in any given format, than Tri-X in the same format.

Does Kodak even make film, any more? They used to be THE brand of film, as well as photographic paper, developing chemicals, and all manner of related products. But a quick perusal of their web site doesn't seem to find any mention of any current film or related products.

Does Kodak even make film, any more? They used to be THE brand of film, as well as photographic paper, developing chemicals, and all manner of related products. But a quick perusal of their web site doesn't seem to find any mention of any current film or related products.

The only film I've seen around here was made by Fuji. This is the stash of 35mm I picked up at an Amish store last fall for $1.00 a pack: Seven 3-roll packs of 200 speed and I had 6 single roll packs of 400 speed. The expiration dates are only 2023, so the film prints just fine.

The Walmart in town also has Fuji in stock for about $10 per roll.

fuji.jpg

Forum List

Back