The federal government should have NOTHING to do with student loans

You mean like when I went to college in 1979 and could not get a grant, loan, or any kind of student aid because my father was a factory worker for GE? Luckily, I went on my own merit with a Navy scholarship after I served 15-months active duty.
No like in 1960 whan college could be paid for by working at McDonalds.

how do you not know that bankruptcy has the exact same result as the government forgiving the loans??

the schools have already collected their tuitions and bankruptcy is forgiving the loan,,

heres a novel idea,,
the students can pay for their own education just like the rest of us should do and keep governemnt out of all of it

and in the future when the government is out of the student loan business the banks can decide if a person is worthy of a student loan or pay out of pocket like so many did for centuries,,
There is a punitive aspect to bankruptcy though. A good credit rating is a valuable thing for most of us and bankruptcy pretty much makes it much more difficult to qualify for credit or to be trusted with things for some time. So most avoid it unless it becomes unavoidable. But student loans from the private sector certainly would be included in bankruptcy proceedings.

But I agree. Get the federal government out of education entirely except perhaps a small division that collects information and data from participating schools and makes it available so parents and educators can know how their schools are comparing with everybody else. And government could usefully provide information on costs and admission requirements of colleges and universities so the students could better pick and choose where they want to apply.

Without government subsidies, colleges and universities would have to reduce costs to what students were able to pay just as it once was or they would have no students. And when you leave some money for the endowment at your alma mater you would know that money would help lower costs for more students to get an education or upgrade the science lab or whatever instead of multi-million dollar salaries for coaches and such.

Since the student loans are backed by the government....

There is a punitive aspect to bankruptcy though. A good credit rating is a valuable thing for most of us and bankruptcy pretty much makes it much more difficult to qualify for credit or to be trusted with things for some time. So most avoid it unless it becomes unavoidable. But student loans from the private sector certainly would be included in bankruptcy proceedings.

But I agree. Get the federal government out of education entirely except perhaps a small division that collects information and data from participating schools and makes it available so parents and educators can know how their schools are comparing with everybody else. And government could usefully provide information on costs and admission requirements of colleges and universities so the students could better pick and choose where they want to apply.

Without government subsidies, colleges and universities would have to reduce costs to what students were able to pay just as it once was or they would have no students. And when you leave some money for the endowment at your alma mater you would know that money would help lower costs for more students to get an education or upgrade the science lab or whatever instead of multi-million dollar salaries for coaches and such.

Isn't that under the purview of the state's education departments?

In the age of the internet, why would you do this at the federal level?

Those coaches get paid from the proceeds of the athletic department. My university plays one regular season game per year with nearly 80,000 fans paying an average of $500 per ticket to get in. I did the math for you! That's 40 million dollars, for ONE game. And that is just for tickets! A college football coach might get that in a decade long career if they are lucky!

Isn't that under the purview of the state's education departments?

In the age of the internet, why would you do this at the federal level?

Those coaches get paid from the proceeds of the athletic department. My university plays one regular season game per year with nearly 80,000 fans paying an average of $500 per ticket to get in. I did the math for you! That's 40 million dollars, for ONE game. And that is just for tickets! A college football coach might get that in a decade long career if they are lucky!
You would do it at the federal level so that it is all collected in one place instead of each state having to do it. And each school would send their data to one central data collecting agency instead of to 50 different states. That would be a very valuable service the federal government could do to promote the general welfare without putting a single unconstitutional rule or regulation onto any person, entity or state or costing us more than small change per tax payer.

And those 40 million dollar football games don't seem to be helping the students afford college, books, fees one whit do they. And $500/ticket is ridiculous in my personal opinion.

You would do it at the federal level so that it is all collected in one place instead of each state having to do it. And each school would send their data to one central data collecting agency instead of to 50 different states. That would be a very valuable service the federal government could do to promote the general welfare without putting a single unconstitutional rule or regulation onto any person, entity or state or costing us more than small change per tax payer.

And those 40 million dollar football games don't seem to be helping the students afford college, books, fees one whit do they. And $500/ticket is ridiculous in my personal opinion.
You do realize that this is done by private entities and posted on the internet?

You have obviously never attended the Iron Bowl between Auburn and Alabama. The greatest play in college football history took place in that game. The second greatest play occurred less than 2 weeks before that in the same stadium.

You do realize that this is done by private entities and posted on the internet?

You have obviously never attended the Iron Bowl between Auburn and Alabama. The greatest play in college football history took place in that game. The second greatest play occurred less than 2 weeks before that in the same stadium.
Sorry but when only the wealthy can afford to attend the games, I don't care how good the games are. I never begrudge the well to do the ability to enjoy their wealth and have no animosity toward the rich. And if Ivy League colleges want to charge pro prices for their tickets then oh well.

But a state university should be affordable to most tax payers in all aspects including sports tickets. Again those huge sports revenues don't seem to be translating to better, more affordable education do they.

Sorry but when only the wealthy can afford to attend the games, I don't care how good the games are. I never begrudge the well to do the ability to enjoy their wealth and have no animosity toward the rich. And if Ivy League colleges want to charge pro prices for their tickets then oh well. ,....

Why Ivy Leagues?

Forum List

Back