The federal government should have NOTHING to do with student loans

No, the gov't should not be involved in student loans. But that ship sailed a long time ago.

Screw paying their student loans. But we do need to change the rule that does not allow student loans to be included in a personal bankruptcy.

They should be like any other loan. PERIOD.

CAR, CREDIT CARD, PERSONAL LOAN, HOUSE, BOAT, MOTORCYCLE, PAYDAY ADVANCE.

ANYTHING.

The loans should have zero to do with the FED.
The government has regulations on all loans.
Most laws protect people from predatory lenders.
Unfortunately there are many less than intelligent people that can be taken advantage of.
A great example is the way Trump is taking advantage of less than intelligent people to support him. They fall for that con, they can fall for the predatory lender con.

No, the gov't should not be involved in student loans. But that ship sailed a long time ago.

Screw paying their student loans. But we do need to change the rule that does not allow student loans to be included in a personal bankruptcy.
I get the desire to write off student loans. The entire program essentially turned into a predatory lending scam. Millions of students were lured into taking out loans they could never pay back. But if we're going to recognize that the program is harmful, and compensate its victims, the first thing we need to do is stop the damage and get rid of the program.

so instead of solving the problem you want to make it worse,,,

THATS FUCKING BRILLIANT,,
why did we think about that dumbass idea,,,

SIR I SAID YOU ARE DISMISSED,,

now move along before I call your parents,,
200w.gif

so instead of solving the problem you want to make it worse,,,

THATS FUCKING BRILLIANT,,
why did we think about that dumbass idea,,,

Worse? For whom?

You can get a loan for a car, clothes, home improvements, a boat and more. And all of those are washed clean if you declare bankruptcy. Why not a student loan?

Worse? For whom?

You can get a loan for a car, clothes, home improvements, a boat and more. And all of those are washed clean if you declare bankruptcy. Why not a student loan?

how do you not know that bankruptcy has the exact same result as the government forgiving the loans??

the schools have already collected their tuitions and bankruptcy is forgiving the loan,,

heres a novel idea,,
the students can pay for their own education just like the rest of us should do and keep governemnt out of all of it

and in the future when the government is out of the student loan business the banks can decide if a person is worthy of a student loan or pay out of pocket like so many did for centuries,,

Worse? For whom?

only in certain cases are those loans wiped,,

in ours we ended up paying back 100% of what we owed minus the interest,,

who in the end pays the bill if someone defaults on a loan??

whats to stop someone from declaring bankruptcy when theyve graduated and before they got a 6 figure job??

Why are my taxes now paying off these loans?

I paid mine off.

If Pedo Pete gives me back the loan I paid back while going to college, then I will listen.

Until then, pay back your debts, you fucking dead beats.

Because it’s none of your business.

And I wasn’t complaining. I was illustrating the circumstances many deal with.

In particular I was refuting the claim that people getting loan forgiveness are all latte drinking slackers
so shes just a slacker,,

its OK I dont like lattes either,,

no circumstance allows you to dump your debt on other people let alone people you dont even know,,

If the state and federal government supported higher education at the same level as when the Boomers went it would not be an issue.
You mean like when I went to college in 1979 and could not get a grant, loan, or any kind of student aid because my father was a factory worker for GE? Luckily, I went on my own merit with a Navy scholarship after I served 15-months active duty.

The federal government's involvement in student loans is precisely the cause of rapid inflation in the cost of tuition of the past 30 years.
In 2003, it cost about $6000 for me to attain my Master's degree. In 2012, when my daughter attended college, her first semester at a state college, cost over $6000. For a SEMESTER. It was insane after 9 years!

In 2003, it cost about $6000 for me to attain my Master's degree. In 2012, when my daughter attended college, her first semester at a state college, cost over $6000. For a SEMESTER. It was insane after 9 years!
And whose fault is that?

I agree that it’s outrageous

They should be like any other loan. PERIOD.

CAR, CREDIT CARD, PERSONAL LOAN, HOUSE, BOAT, MOTORCYCLE, PAYDAY ADVANCE.

ANYTHING.

The loans should have zero to do with the FED.
Before government got involved in healthcare, a doctor's visit cost us $5 which everybody expected to pay out of pocket just as we expected to pay out of pocket for our dog's rabies shot or getting our car serviced or repaired. And for most people, routine healthcare was affordable and pretty much everybody could afford it. If the bill was a bit too high almost all hospitals and doctor's offices would let you pay it out on time. Hospitalization insurance was just that--insurance to cover your hospital bills. And we had the best healthcare in the world.

Once government unconstitutionally got involved in healthcare, prices started escalating far beyond the ability of the average family to pay even for some of the most routine things we used to take for granted, like a chest xray or vaccinations for the kids,. And nobody envies our healthcare any more.

Before government got involved in education, the schools were doing just fine teaching real subjects that prepared students for college and/or adulthood. If we couldn't afford a prestige Ivy League college, almost all of us who wanted a college education could get one at a state university and we could pay as we went by working. And we had the best education system in the world.

Once government got unconstitutionally involved in education, the public schools have been deteriorating and college is unaffordable for most without scholarships and hefty student loans. And we rank WAY down the line in reading, math, science proficiency compared to other developed countries.

But there are still the clueless and/or idiots who think the solution is for the government to have more and more money and more and more power over everything we do. It's insane.

Forum List

Back