Zimmerman "beat up" according to treating physician after the shooting

Are you SURE autopsy reports are not a matter of public record Gadawg?

It is my understanding, at least in most states, that once the official autopsy report is issued, copies are provided without charge to the next-of-kin, physicians, law enforcement personnel, and the D.A. if they ask for it. For a fee, others can also obtain a copy. Any photographs associated with the autopsy, however, are not part of the public record and I believe require a court order to be released.

If you have an autopsy after you die it IS NEVER public record.
Next of kin, law enforcement and the DA ARE NOT the public. They do not have to release a damn thing. They usually don't.
But as soon as they entered it into the pleadings in this case IT IS public record.
Where can you get an autopsy report for a fee anywhere in America if you are not a relative?
No offense to you but it is amazing the misnformation there is out there.
Most autopsies are not part of a criminal proceeding.

In Florida by statute if a death is in the hands of a medical examiner instead of the coroner then different rules exist. A coroner can sign off on a death if the death is by natural causes or disease. Enter the medical examiner if it is a criminal proceeding or suspicious death.
Most autopsies are hired out to a pathologist or forensic pathologists and are not handed over to the state medical examiner for autopsy. Their backlog is always long. Those autopsies by statute are never public record under any circumstances.
The medical examiner DOES NOT need permission to conduct the autopsy.
All medical examiner reports ARE open records FOIA data in Florida but that is not the case with most states.
The kicker is the "some cases may be exempt from public record" clause in the Florida statute and in Georgia and all states.
I have never seen a challenge to the sealing of medical examiners autopsy win. Ever. If they want them sealed them they seal them, period, and in many cases of this kind they are sealed.
That clause seals any autopsy report they want and works 100% of the time. Accordingly, autopsy reports are not public record if the state decides they do not want them public record.

Last edited:
Are you SURE autopsy reports are not a matter of public record Gadawg?

It is my understanding, at least in most states, that once the official autopsy report is issued, copies are provided without charge to the next-of-kin, physicians, law enforcement personnel, and the D.A. if they ask for it. For a fee, others can also obtain a copy. Any photographs associated with the autopsy, however, are not part of the public record and I believe require a court order to be released.

If you have an autopsy after you die it IS NEVER public record.
Next of kin, law enforcement and the DA ARE NOT the public. They do not have to release a damn thing. They usually don't.
But as soon as they entered it into the pleadings in this case IT IS public record.
Where can you get an autopsy report for a fee anywhere in America if you are not a relative?
No offense to you but it is amazing the misnformation there is out there.
Most autopsies are not part of a criminal proceeding.

Well, in the interest of 'misinformation', here is the Florida law regarding medical examiner's reports. I believe you will find that similar laws exist in at least most, if not all, states. In capacity as work comp insurance adjuster, I have not been unable to obtain an autopsy report in New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, or Texas.

How can I obtain a Medical Examiner Report?
All medical examiner cases are public record once final and, as such, any person may obtain a copy of the completed Medical Examiner Report. Final reports can be mailed, faxed, e-mailed or picked up at the Medical Examiner's Office, per the requestor's preference. Instructions for obtaining the autopsy report by any of the four options above can be heard by calling the office at 386-258-4060 and selecting the desired option from the menu. The report will be sent once it is complete and releasable as a public record. Depending on the complexity of the case, reports may take from 3 to 6 months to complete.

Please be advised autopsy photographs are NOT considered public record and are not provided with the report. Pursuant to Florida Statute 406.135(2), the next-of-kin can request autopsy photographs by calling the office for details regarding the required information for release. Some cases may be exempt from public record release while under "active criminal intelligence or active criminal investigation" Florida Statute 119.071(2)(c)1. Once this designation has been lifted, the records will be available for release.
Choose from an option below for a copy of the Medical Examiner Report
Medical Examiner Frequently Asked Questions

But don't you dare fire a warning shot if you are black, Stand Your Ground does not apply then!!!!

Florida woman sentenced to 20 years in controversial warning shot case - CNN.com

You don't get to leave someone, go back to your car to get a gun, come black and shoot at him (with children in the room) and then call it a warning shot in self-defense... because only a fucking shitbrain would believe you.

She ruined any chance of avoiding prison by leaving her victim alive to testify that she left for the purpose of getting a gun.

Amazing how many arm chair detectives we have here.
This is what is filed in most cases by either side as a challenge to the release of autopsy reports for "public record" requests, most likely the defense in most all cases where an autopsy does real damage to their client's chances.
This is the stock motion which I have seen hundreds of times:
"Sealing of the potential evidence in this case will 1) protect identities of minor victims and witnesses and their families; 2) protect potential jurors from hearing about certain statements that, while admissable at the grand jury hearing, would be inadmissable at trial and 3) protect potential jurors from hearing ONLY ONE SIDE of the toxicological, DNA, cordage comparison, handwriting analysis, pharmacological AND AUTOPSY EVIDENCE. Unless reports ARE SEALED, (the defense or the prosecution) will no doubt argue that neither voir dire nor jury instructions can reverse potentially damaging and prejudicial effectof likely pre trial exposure to only one interpretation, and hence, venue must move."

I once had a case where a man was shot outside a bar in a fight. The deceased had been a heroin addict and had needle tracks all up and down his arms. He had no heroin in his system at the timeof his death though. The ruling by the Judge IN FAVOR OF THE PROSECUTION: the autopsy report WAS OUT, THE JURY COULD NOT SEE IT. The needle marks were prejudicial to the jury.

Could name a hundred other times the autopsy report WAS SEALED and not public record.
And the kicker in this is Martin IS A MINOR. They never should have released the autopsy report of a minor to the media.
Possibly the DA is punting this case to another venue.
Just the facts.

This is what is filed in most cases by either side as a challenge to the release of autopsy reports for "public record" requests, most likely the defense in most all cases where an autopsy does real damage to their client's chances.
"Sealing of the potential evidence in this case will 1) protect identities of minor victims and witnesses and their families; 2) protect potential jurors from hearing about certain statements that, while admissable at the grand jury hearing, would be inadmissable at trial and 3) protect potential jurors from hearing ONLY ONE SIDE of the toxicological, DNA, cordage comparison, handwriting analysis, pharmacological AND AUTOPSY EVIDENCE. Unless reports ARE SEALED, (the defense or the prosecution) will no doubt argue that neither voir dire nor jury instructions can reverse potentially damaging and prejudicial effectof likely pre trial exposure to only one interpretation, and hence, venue must move."

I once had a case where a man was shot outside a bar in a fight. The deceased had been a heroin addict and had needle tracks all up and down his arms. He had no heroin in his system at the timeof his death though. The ruling by the Judge IN FAVOR OF THE PROSECUTION: the autopsy report WAS OUT, THE JURY COULD NOT SEE IT. The needle marks were prejudicial to the jury.

Could name a hundred other times the autopsy report WAS SEALED and not public record.
And the kicker in this is Martin IS A MINOR. They never should have released the autopsy report of a minor to the media.
Just the facts.

I am not saying that the court cannot seal the autopsy report. Apparently, however, in the Zimmerman/Martin case, it did not seal the autopsy report since the media has the information from it. I was just stating what I believe is the fact that autopsy reports are normally part of the public record and do not require a court order for the average citizen to obtain one. As in the case of job related deaths, I have not had any problem in four states obtaining a medical examiner's report.

Just the facts.

What part of Florida law deeming autopsy reports public record do you fail to understand, Mr. armchair detective? They wouldn't even seal Caylee Anthony's autopsy report because FLORIDA LAW REQUIRES IT TO BE PUT INTO THE PUBLIC RECORD.

I only wish I could neg you again.

Just the facts.

I am not saying that the court cannot seal the autopsy report. Apparently, however, in the Zimmerman/Martin case, it did not seal the autopsy report since the media has the information from it. I was just stating what I believe is the fact that autopsy reports are normally part of the public record and do not require a court order for the average citizen to obtain one. As in the case of job related deaths, I have not had any problem in four states obtaining a medical examiner's report.

I go along with that.
But in my world they are never "public record". Rarely do you get them without a fight in my business as the reason we want them is to gain an advantage one way or another.
Same with the prosecution.
"outs" for the release of any "public record" document for a state controlled document and/or record are always there to seal it for any number of reasons.
Prejudicial to potential jurors is what is relevant here for sure.
For anything with Federal Control FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) which some states have modified into their own "sunshine laws" also allow for the release of those.
But autopsies are not always done by medical examiners and in many rural areas they are not. Criminal cases are not the norm for autposies. Medical malpractice cases where someone dies on the operating table there is an outside forensic pathoogist, NOT a medical examiner, and those ARE NOT public record.
As is none other than the medical examiner's autopsy report which in most cases is subject to a motion of being sealed.

I disagree. Zimmerman had already been tried and pronounced guilty by the media. To disallow any mitigating information available in the autopsy report to also become part of the public record would have been grossly unfair to him.

But don't you dare fire a warning shot if you are black, Stand Your Ground does not apply then!!!!

Florida woman sentenced to 20 years in controversial warning shot case - CNN.com

You don't get to leave someone, go back to your car to get a gun, come black and shoot at him (with children in the room) and then call it a warning shot in self-defense... because only a fucking shitbrain would believe you.

She ruined any chance of avoiding prison by leaving her victim alive to testify that she left for the purpose of getting a gun.
Except she went back to her car to leave and only took the gun to protect herself from the man who threatened to kill her when she went into the house to get the keys.

But you might be right, she should have killed him like Zimmerman.

The problem with the woman is that she left and was no longer in any danger. No one was beating her up like Zimmerman was getting beat up.

The problem with the woman is that she left and was no longer in any danger. No one was beating her up like Zimmerman was getting beat up.
how could she leave, she didn't have car keys. She had to go in the house, where the man who threatened to kill her was, to get the keys so she could leave.

Zimmerman on the other hand, stalked his prey, who fought for his life against his pursuer until that life was taken from him. Just because the unarmed Martin was effectively defending himself against Zimmerman's armed assault did not give the armed Zimmerman the right to kill his prey.

Again.... details details

There really is a motive behind this social movement to punish George Zimmerman up to and including the death penalty.

Random attacks by blacks, individually and in mobs is on the rise. Nothing is done to the perpetrators, the media burys the events as much as they can. If white people generally become cognizant of the danger they are in and start seriously fighting back, you will some some very serious fighting coming down. We are turning into a government approved lawless society with a right to be lawless based on skin color.

Again.... details details

There really is a motive behind this social movement to punish George Zimmerman up to and including the death penalty.

Random attacks by blacks, individually and in mobs is on the rise. Nothing is done to the perpetrators, the media burys the events as much as they can. If white people generally become cognizant of the danger they are in and start seriously fighting back, you will some some very serious fighting coming down. We are turning into a government approved lawless society with a right to be lawless based on skin color.

We have a racist administration, no doubt about it, and they need to be removed as soon as possible so we can get back to dealing with the real problems. America is sick and Obama and the corrupt MSM is making it sicker.

how could she leave, she didn't have car keys. She had to go in the house, where the man who threatened to kill her was, to get the keys so she could leave.

Zimmerman on the other hand, stalked his prey, who fought for his life against his pursuer until that life was taken from him. Just because the unarmed Martin was effectively defending himself against Zimmerman's armed assault did not give the armed Zimmerman the right to kill his prey.

Yes you keep thinking that.

The view is that Trayvon Martin had and absolute right to beat George Zimmerman to death if he chose to do so and George Zimmerman had no right at all to do anything but lay there and take it. Zimmerman is the approved human sacrifice on the altar of black rage. He was supposed to die. He was supposed to passively allow Martin to beat him to death. How dare him not die! He should have known that was racist. He is no different than a tourist in Baltimore, two reporters in Virginia, a marine in Tampa, people eating lunch in Chicago, a jogger in Kansas City, two students sitting in a car in Los Angeles, or a woman shopping at a Dallas Target store. What do all of these victims have in common with one another? They are all approved human sacrifices to black rage. The only one that was different is George Zimmerman because he was armed. The purpose of punishing Zimmerman, and punishing him very harshly is to prevent the other victims, the other human sacrifices from preventing their sacrifical deaths.

Imagine these victims, ALL these many victims, had fought back. Had they been armed. Had a woman shopper getting stabbed in a Dallas store just took out a handgun and dropped her assailant where he stood. Or two reporters just opening up into the mob. We can't have that can we? Better to make an example out of George Zimmerman so all these sacrifical lambs will think twice if they presume to stop an attack against them.

Yes you keep thinking that.

The view is that Trayvon Martin had and absolute right to beat George Zimmerman to death if he chose to do so and George Zimmerman had no right at all to do anything but lay there and take it. Zimmerman is the approved human sacrifice on the altar of black rage. He was supposed to die. He was supposed to passively allow Martin to beat him to death. How dare him not die! He should have known that was racist. He is no different than a tourist in Baltimore, two reporters in Virginia, a marine in Tampa, people eating lunch in Chicago, a jogger in Kansas City, two students sitting in a car in Los Angeles, or a woman shopping at a Dallas Target store. What do all of these victims have in common with one another? They are all approved human sacrifices to black rage. The only one that was different is George Zimmerman because he was armed. The purpose of punishing Zimmerman, and punishing him very harshly is to prevent the other victims, the other human sacrifices from preventing their sacrifical deaths.

Imagine these victims, ALL these many victims, had fought back. Had they been armed. Had a woman shopper getting stabbed in a Dallas store just took out a handgun and dropped her assailant where he stood. Or two reporters just opening up into the mob. We can't have that can we? Better to make an example out of George Zimmerman so all these sacrifical lambs will think twice if they presume to stop an attack against them.

My bet is, we will start seeing a lot more self-defense actions. Of course, they will be classified as racist hate crimes every time some poor schlupp fights back when attacked by raging racist blacks.

If it was public record and easily obtainable why did it take 11 1/2 weeks, 80 DAYS, to get it?
The autopsy was performed on 2/27/12 with the sign off on 3/15/12.
8 1/2 WEEKS AFTER IT WAS OFFICIAL.
Media fought for all of those 8 1/2 weeks to get it.

Forum List

Back