Your thoughts on Online Schooling

It will foster a lot more social awkwardness.

A big part of school is learning how to interact with other people.
My nephew is going off to college dorms but taking online classes. He’s in a coed dorm. Lucky boy.

Online school is the future of public school. We pay way too much for public schools and it’s a joke how little they learn in 4 years.

In the old days teachers made $80k with a masters. In the future teachers will make $50k. $80 was ridiculous

The richness and diversity available now online is definitely superior to the grist mills that have become the brick and mortar school system. There is no way any human instructor can match the capabilities of a well organized online course schedule. It just isn't possible.

JO
When was the last time you darkened a school house door?

A human instructor ade up that online course, dumbass!

Oh I have spent many hours in the brick and mortar institutions.....not just for myself but for children and grandchildren.

A good teacher is worth his/her weight in gold....but they are slaves to the system and the system is now slave to globalism.....Globalism despises smart people.

JO
So you have been there for every minute of the instruction of every day?

Without being a teacher, you have no clue as to what happens in a classroom as evidence by your continued stupid assumptions and mischaracterizations.

You are so full full of shit!
The intensity of your outrage betrays personal involvement you're angry at the wrong person dude. I have certainly not been there every moment of every day what would be the purpose of having a school if that was the case? However I think I am in a good position to accurately gauge the severe drop off in educational fluency over the past 20 to 30 years based on the general product of the public school systems.

I have watched in horrified dismay has complex math has completely fled the grammar schools and is now slowly but surely being pushed out of Junior high. Ancient history has become well, ancient history. Poetry classics like Poe and Longfellow are now considered to be racist positions held by white supremacists. The School system that you grew to know and love and which you long for is a thing of the past my friend.... I don't want it to be that way that but that doesn't change what it is.

Jo
I am outraged because you are full of shit!

You may wish it to be that way....but it is not. The curriculum had deteriorated into a PC mush with increasingly lower goals and achievement bars. I have seen this first hand over 30 years of helping my kids and grandkids when their schoolwork.

Jo

I've flown on a lot of airplanes over the years, and close family members have as well. That means I am qualified to be an airline pilot, right?
You’re comparing teaching to flying an airplane? Lol.

Many parents successfully homeschool their kids without ever learning how to teach. No one can fly an airplane without learning how.

In fact they do better than the teachers who taught them. That’s why they homeschool

My son is dealing with online classes here in Indiana. Personally I think it makes a lot of sense. The two big knocks are younger students not getting routine and lessons they need in a school environment, and the lack of social contact that makes many home schooled kids awkward. Also, it would be a death blow to sports. My opinion is to have kids go to school through seventh grade, and then for the older kids, make it online. As for sports, I dearly love them, but I don't see why it is federally funded under 'education.' Sports options should be dealt with on a county or city basis. You don't need athletics to learn teamwork and effort. That is a ridiculous excuse for the funding of sports. Keep in mind, my dad was a teacher, and I played football, wrestled and was a swimmer, and I loved them all. I think online teaching for older kids could offer tremendous opportunities. I have found teacher quality declining at a steady rate, mostly because they do not get payed much and education changes every time the wind blows. How much do you think the department of education would fight this?
DustyInfinity, USA’s educational and training systems are inferior to those of some other countries that produce better outcomes at lesser cost. This fall 0f 2020, if many of our nation’s public-school districts choose to homeschool using the internet rather than reopening their school buildings, it may substantially change education and training this year and for many more years in our future.

I perceive a great need for enterprises offering on-line educational services to public school districts. The immediate market is for rural districts being able to provide specialized classes that previously they could not afford to offer. Eventually, they may decide that it’s both most cost effective and most able to improve the quality of their educational systems by providing free public education entirely on-line for everything beyond the 3d grade. The practice may than continue to spread and be adopted by many more suburban and city school districts.

USA’s educational and training systems are inferior to those of some other countries that produce better outcomes at lesser cost. This fall 0f 2020, if many of our nation’s public-school districts choose to homeschool using the internet rather than reopening their school buildings, it may substantially change education and training this year and for many more years in our future.

It could evolve to be a great forward leap, or (if the goal is only to reduce government’s costs), it may be further detrimental to the quality of USA’s, educational and training systems. But similar to other industries, the educational industry of the future will be more automated.

Respectfully, Supposn
Wake up, get on a bus, go to school when it’s too early, shuffle from class to class and learn very little.

You nailed it. Online school is going to prove to be cost effective and just as good results as we’re seeing now.

I don’t see why a kid has to go to an overcrowded classroom to learn.

And online one teacher can teach hundreds of student from his or her home office.

My son is dealing with online classes here in Indiana. Personally I think it makes a lot of sense. The two big knocks are younger students not getting routine and lessons they need in a school environment, and the lack of social contact that makes many home schooled kids awkward. Also, it would be a death blow to sports. My opinion is to have kids go to school through seventh grade, and then for the older kids, make it online. As for sports, I dearly love them, but I don't see why it is federally funded under 'education.' Sports options should be dealt with on a county or city basis. You don't need athletics to learn teamwork and effort. That is a ridiculous excuse for the funding of sports. Keep in mind, my dad was a teacher, and I played football, wrestled and was a swimmer, and I loved them all. I think online teaching for older kids could offer tremendous opportunities. I have found teacher quality declining at a steady rate, mostly because they do not get payed much and education changes every time the wind blows. How much do you think the department of education would fight this?
DustyInfinity, USA’s educational and training systems are inferior to those of some other countries that produce better outcomes at lesser cost. This fall 0f 2020, if many of our nation’s public-school districts choose to homeschool using the internet rather than reopening their school buildings, it may substantially change education and training this year and for many more years in our future.

I perceive a great need for enterprises offering on-line educational services to public school districts. The immediate market is for rural districts being able to provide specialized classes that previously they could not afford to offer. Eventually, they may decide that it’s both most cost effective and most able to improve the quality of their educational systems by providing free public education entirely on-line for everything beyond the 3d grade. The practice may than continue to spread and be adopted by many more suburban and city school districts.

USA’s educational and training systems are inferior to those of some other countries that produce better outcomes at lesser cost. This fall 0f 2020, if many of our nation’s public-school districts choose to homeschool using the internet rather than reopening their school buildings, it may substantially change education and training this year and for many more years in our future.

It could evolve to be a great forward leap, or (if the goal is only to reduce government’s costs), it may be further detrimental to the quality of USA’s, educational and training systems. But similar to other industries, the educational industry of the future will be more automated.

Respectfully, Supposn
Wake up, get on a bus, go to school when it’s too early, shuffle from class to class and learn very little.

You nailed it. Online school is going to prove to be cost effective and just as good results as we’re seeing now.

And online one teacher can teach hundreds of student from his or her home office.
What about social interaction skills?

My nephew is going off to college dorms but taking online classes. He’s in a coed dorm. Lucky boy.

Online school is the future of public school. We pay way too much for public schools and it’s a joke how little they learn in 4 years.

In the old days teachers made $80k with a masters. In the future teachers will make $50k. $80 was ridiculous

The richness and diversity available now online is definitely superior to the grist mills that have become the brick and mortar school system. There is no way any human instructor can match the capabilities of a well organized online course schedule. It just isn't possible.

JO

Oh I have spent many hours in the brick and mortar institutions.....not just for myself but for children and grandchildren.

A good teacher is worth his/her weight in gold....but they are slaves to the system and the system is now slave to globalism.....Globalism despises smart people.

JO

Without being a teacher, you have no clue as to what happens in a classroom as evidence by your continued stupid assumptions and mischaracterizations.

The intensity of your outrage betrays personal involvement you're angry at the wrong person dude. I have certainly not been there every moment of every day what would be the purpose of having a school if that was the case? However I think I am in a good position to accurately gauge the severe drop off in educational fluency over the past 20 to 30 years based on the general product of the public school systems.

I have watched in horrified dismay has complex math has completely fled the grammar schools and is now slowly but surely being pushed out of Junior high. Ancient history has become well, ancient history. Poetry classics like Poe and Longfellow are now considered to be racist positions held by white supremacists. The School system that you grew to know and love and which you long for is a thing of the past my friend.... I don't want it to be that way that but that doesn't change what it is.

Jo

You may wish it to be that way....but it is not. The curriculum had deteriorated into a PC mush with increasingly lower goals and achievement bars. I have seen this first hand over 30 years of helping my kids and grandkids when their schoolwork.

Jo

I've flown on a lot of airplanes over the years, and close family members have as well. That means I am qualified to be an airline pilot, right?

If you spent most of your time in the cockpit..... Yes... Possibly.

Jo

...wow. :rolleyes:
Not a chance, dumbass!
Why not? I’m sure I could be taught to fly a plane in 2 days. Just show me what to do and I’ll repeat it.

Respectfully, Supposn

Yes, that’s the argument teachers and parents make. We spend way too much just so kids can go socialize.

They can join clubs, they have friends, they can work summer jobs, etc.

I work with a guy who was homeschooled. He seems well adjusted.

Parents mostly want to get rid of their kids for a few hours 5 days a week. It’s like school is their daycare.

I have a friend with two kids. she can’t wait for school to start so she can have 6 hours of freedom 5 days a week.

JO

JO

Jo

Jo
I aught for 21 years. There can be no comparisons of out experiences because you believe lies.

What lies? There is no comparison between what a sixth grade student was expected to do with Geometry and Trig 30 years ago and what is expected of them now. This is not a lie, it is the very real and horrifying deterioration of standard expectation. I commend you for your 21 years of sacrifice and hard work....I do not pretend that I would be capable of it.... However the reality is what it is.

Jo
They did not teach trigonometry in 6th grade EVER! That is just another dumbass statement.

Oh please stop your personally indignant bluster dude....Obviously I know you were not a math teacher that's for fucking sure. Geometry and Trig overlap inexorably and by the end of the sixth Grade most kids were familiar with Triangle math and the use of the protractor for angle measurement and the rules of angle displacement. I don't know where you went to school but I was taught Sine, Cosine and Tangent before I ever hit Junior high....so um...WTF are you talking about please? Give me a break....I'm not attacking the teaching profession I have always held it in the highest regard but you have to come out of your shell and start seeing what is actually happening right now not what you remember fondly or wish to project. If I showed a protractor to a sixty grade kid today he probably would think it was a tracing toy. You are no doubt from the ranks of the more Noble Americans who dedicated their lives to the enrichment of the next generations....I have no doubt about that..... I also have no doubt about the fact that the school system has lost its way and is no longer interested in making smarter citizens only in making them docile automatons. Thank God for Google and the free internet.....we no longer have to settle for what Uncle PC wants us to know and what he doesn't want us to know.

JO

Last edited:

JO

JO

Jo

Jo
I aught for 21 years. There can be no comparisons of out experiences because you believe lies.

What lies? There is no comparison between what a sixth grade student was expected to do with Geometry and Trig 30 years ago and what is expected of them now. This is not a lie, it is the very real and horrifying deterioration of standard expectation. I commend you for your 21 years of sacrifice and hard work....I do not pretend that I would be capable of it.... However the reality is what it is.

Jo
They did not teach trigonometry in 6th grade EVER! That is just another dumbass statement.

Oh please stop your personally indignant bluster dude....Obviously I know you were not a math teacher that's for fucking sure. Geometry and Trig overlap inexhorably and by the end of the sixth Grade most kids were familiar with Triangle math and the use of the protractor for angle measurement and the rules of angle displacement. I don't know where you went to school but I was taught Sine, Cosine and Tangent before I ever hit Junior high....so um...WTF are you talking about please? Give me a break....I'm not attacking the teaching profession I have always held it in the highest regard but you have to come out of your shell and start seeing what is actually happening right now not what you remember fondly or wish to project. If I showed a protractor to a sixty grade kid today he probably would think it was a tracing toy. You are no doubt from the ranks of the more Noble Americans who dedicated their lives to the enrichment of the next generations....I have no doubt about that..... I also have no doubt about the fact that the school system has lost its way and is no longer interested in making smarter citizens only in making them docile automatons. Thank God for Google and the free internet.....we no longer have to settle for what Uncle PC wants us to know and what he doesn't want us to know.

JO
Like Google's algorithms don't filter/screen info or something. :cuckoo:

Respectfully, Supposn

Yes, that’s the argument teachers and parents make. We spend way too much just so kids can go socialize.

Parents mostly want to get rid of their kids for a few hours 5 days a week. It’s like school is their daycare.

I have a friend with two kids. she can’t wait for school to start so she can have 6 hours of freedom 5 days a week.

Part of the problem is the idea that all advanced education must take place at the hands of a government agency. It's dangerous thinning. New age parents have overspecialized into bread winners and left behind the precious privilege of passing along knowledge to their kids....they see it as almost beneath them. Life has become too compartmentalized. Even public school teachers have fallen into this trap.....they spend the school day handing out homework assignments and drinking coffee with the other teachers leaving a kid to go home and stay up till midnight trying to finish homework he or she may not understand.....no parents to help means they get nothing for instruction anywhere....I'm sorry but I have seen this firsthand too many times.

JO

JO

JO

Jo

Jo

Jo

Oh please stop your personally indignant bluster dude....Obviously I know you were not a math teacher that's for fucking sure. Geometry and Trig overlap inexorably and by the end of the sixth Grade most kids were familiar with Triangle math and the use of the protractor for angle measurement and the rules of angle displacement. I don't know where you went to school but I was taught Sine, Cosine and Tangent before I ever hit Junior high....so um...WTF are you talking about please? Give me a break....I'm not attacking the teaching profession I have always held it in the highest regard but you have to come out of your shell and start seeing what is actually happening right now not what you remember fondly or wish to project. If I showed a protractor to a sixty grade kid today he probably would think it was a tracing toy. You are no doubt from the ranks of the more Noble Americans who dedicated their lives to the enrichment of the next generations....I have no doubt about that..... I also have no doubt about the fact that the school system has lost its way and is no longer interested in making smarter citizens only in making them docile automatons. Thank God for Google and the free internet.....we no longer have to settle for what Uncle PC wants us to know and what he doesn't want us to know.

JO
Like Google's algorithms don't filter/screen info or something. :cuckoo:

I don't know about politics but I do know that Google's free educational book program is totally amazing....it's so good in fact that that in France the publishers and teacher's unions are fighting a war against it because it steps on their toes. God forbid that knowledge should be available to the people without paying for it.

the art of education has been ripped away from the educators are we are now subject to political indoctrination as a substitute for real learning.
I hate it but it's the truth.

No, it's just a politically-motivated mantra mindlessly repeated by people who have no first-hand experience with what actually goes on in preparing and teaching.

Results don't lie.

Jo
He’s saying it isn’t his fault. It’s the parents and kids fault entirely. Not his fault if they don’t learn from the piss poor way he teaches.

You are correct. Results don’t lie. I suppose he will say his students are the exception to the rule? I doubt that.

Ive heard him brag about a kid who did well in wrestling. Bfd. Help that kid get into college. And what about the other 30 plus kids in the room?

I think that School teachers are the cream of the crop of our society if they are truly dedicated to what they are doing. But unfortunately they have bosses....bosses who are not school teachers and who see school as a place to get votes early on from malleable youth that should never...ever be exposed to the dirt and filth of politics while in the lower grades. That is equal to child rape in my opinion and it is going on apace right now in all public schools that I know of.

JO

JO

Jo

Jo

Jo

JO
Maybe he never taught and was never an admiral

JO

JO

Jo

Jo

Many parents successfully homeschool their kids without ever learning how to teach. No one can fly an airplane without learning how.

In fact they do better than the teachers who taught them. That’s why they homeschool

I don’t know how to fly an airplane, do you?

Respectfully, Supposn

Part of the problem is the idea that all advanced education must take place at the hands of a government agency. It's dangerous thinning. New age parents have overspecialized into bread winners and left behind the precious privilege of passing along knowledge to their kids....they see it as almost beneath them. Life has become too compartmentalized. Even public school teachers have fallen into this trap.....they spend the school day handing out homework assignments and drinking coffee with the other teachers leaving a kid to go home and stay up till midnight trying to finish homework he or she may not understand.....no parents to help means they get nothing for instruction anywhere....I'm sorry but I have seen this firsthand too many times.

JO
Exactly. Why get dressed, get on a bus, go to school all so unkotare can hand you homework. You nailed it!

the art of education has been ripped away from the educators are we are now subject to political indoctrination as a substitute for real learning.

No, it's just a politically-motivated mantra mindlessly repeated by people who have no first-hand experience with what actually goes on in preparing and teaching.

Results don't lie.

Jo
He’s saying it isn’t his fault. It’s the parents and kids fault entirely. Not his fault if they don’t learn from the piss poor way he teaches.

You are correct. Results don’t lie. I suppose he will say his students are the exception to the rule? I doubt that.

Ive heard him brag about a kid who did well in wrestling. Bfd. Help that kid get into college. And what about the other 30 plus kids in the room?

I think that School teachers are the cream of the crop of our society if they are truly dedicated to what they are doing. But unfortunately they have bosses....bosses who are not school teachers and who see school as a place to get votes early on from malleable youth that should never...ever be exposed to the dirt and filth of politics while in the lower grades. That is equal to child rape in my opinion and it is going on apace right now in all public schools that I know of.
You mean by teaching evolution and that global warming is real?

JO

JO

Jo

Jo

I don’t know how to fly an airplane, do you?
Yet you think you could be a successful salesmen even though you’ve never done it

Results don't lie.

Jo
He’s saying it isn’t his fault. ...

Don't presume to tell anyone what I'm saying for me, SOB. If you want to know, just ask.

Forum List

Back