Your thoughts on Online Schooling

the art of education has been ripped away from the educators are we are now subject to political indoctrination as a substitute for real learning.
I hate it but it's the truth.

No, it's just a politically-motivated mantra mindlessly repeated by people who have no first-hand experience with what actually goes on in preparing and teaching.
I hate it too when my boss wants to sit with me and suggest things I might do to improve. It’s never easy having that conversation but I’m the first one to tell my boss when his advice worked or helped.

This isn’t the 1900s anymore You know. A kid cant sit through your boring 45 minute lecture.

the art of education has been ripped away from the educators are we are now subject to political indoctrination as a substitute for real learning.

No, it's just a politically-motivated mantra mindlessly repeated by people who have no first-hand experience with what actually goes on in preparing and teaching.

Results don't lie.

Jo

It will foster a lot more social awkwardness.

A big part of school is learning how to interact with other people.
My nephew is going off to college dorms but taking online classes. He’s in a coed dorm. Lucky boy.

Online school is the future of public school. We pay way too much for public schools and it’s a joke how little they learn in 4 years.

In the old days teachers made $80k with a masters. In the future teachers will make $50k. $80 was ridiculous

The richness and diversity available now online is definitely superior to the grist mills that have become the brick and mortar school system. There is no way any human instructor can match the capabilities of a well organized online course schedule. It just isn't possible.

JO
When was the last time you darkened a school house door?

A human instructor ade up that online course, dumbass!

Oh I have spent many hours in the brick and mortar institutions.....not just for myself but for children and grandchildren.

A good teacher is worth his/her weight in gold....but they are slaves to the system and the system is now slave to globalism.....Globalism despises smart people.

JO
So you have been there for every minute of the instruction of every day?

Without being a teacher, you have no clue as to what happens in a classroom as evidence by your continued stupid assumptions and mischaracterizations.

You are so full full of shit!
The intensity of your outrage betrays personal involvement you're angry at the wrong person dude. I have certainly not been there every moment of every day what would be the purpose of having a school if that was the case? However I think I am in a good position to accurately gauge the severe drop off in educational fluency over the past 20 to 30 years based on the general product of the public school systems.

I have watched in horrified dismay has complex math has completely fled the grammar schools and is now slowly but surely being pushed out of Junior high. Ancient history has become well, ancient history. Poetry classics like Poe and Longfellow are now considered to be racist positions held by white supremacists. The School system that you grew to know and love and which you long for is a thing of the past my friend.... I don't want it to be that way that but that doesn't change what it is.

Jo
I am outraged because you are full of shit!

You may wish it to be that way....but it is not. The curriculum had deteriorated into a PC mush with increasingly lower goals and achievement bars. I have seen this first hand over 30 years of helping my kids and grandkids when their schoolwork.

Jo

Results don't lie.

Jo

Results you don't understand.

My nephew is going off to college dorms but taking online classes. He’s in a coed dorm. Lucky boy.

Online school is the future of public school. We pay way too much for public schools and it’s a joke how little they learn in 4 years.

In the old days teachers made $80k with a masters. In the future teachers will make $50k. $80 was ridiculous

The richness and diversity available now online is definitely superior to the grist mills that have become the brick and mortar school system. There is no way any human instructor can match the capabilities of a well organized online course schedule. It just isn't possible.

JO

Oh I have spent many hours in the brick and mortar institutions.....not just for myself but for children and grandchildren.

A good teacher is worth his/her weight in gold....but they are slaves to the system and the system is now slave to globalism.....Globalism despises smart people.

JO

Without being a teacher, you have no clue as to what happens in a classroom as evidence by your continued stupid assumptions and mischaracterizations.

The intensity of your outrage betrays personal involvement you're angry at the wrong person dude. I have certainly not been there every moment of every day what would be the purpose of having a school if that was the case? However I think I am in a good position to accurately gauge the severe drop off in educational fluency over the past 20 to 30 years based on the general product of the public school systems.

I have watched in horrified dismay has complex math has completely fled the grammar schools and is now slowly but surely being pushed out of Junior high. Ancient history has become well, ancient history. Poetry classics like Poe and Longfellow are now considered to be racist positions held by white supremacists. The School system that you grew to know and love and which you long for is a thing of the past my friend.... I don't want it to be that way that but that doesn't change what it is.

Jo

You may wish it to be that way....but it is not. The curriculum had deteriorated into a PC mush with increasingly lower goals and achievement bars. I have seen this first hand over 30 years of helping my kids and grandkids when their schoolwork.

Jo

I've flown on a lot of airplanes over the years, and close family members have as well. That means I am qualified to be an airline pilot, right?

My son is dealing with online classes here in Indiana. Personally I think it makes a lot of sense. The two big knocks are younger students not getting routine and lessons they need in a school environment, and the lack of social contact that makes many home schooled kids awkward. Also, it would be a death blow to sports. My opinion is to have kids go to school through seventh grade, and then for the older kids, make it online. As for sports, I dearly love them, but I don't see why it is federally funded under 'education.' Sports options should be dealt with on a county or city basis. You don't need athletics to learn teamwork and effort. That is a ridiculous excuse for the funding of sports. Keep in mind, my dad was a teacher, and I played football, wrestled and was a swimmer, and I loved them all. I think online teaching for older kids could offer tremendous opportunities. I have found teacher quality declining at a steady rate, mostly because they do not get payed much and education changes every time the wind blows. How much do you think the department of education would fight this?
DustyInfinity, USA’s educational and training systems are inferior to those of some other countries that produce better outcomes at lesser cost. This fall 0f 2020, if many of our nation’s public-school districts choose to homeschool using the internet rather than reopening their school buildings, it may substantially change education and training this year and for many more years in our future.

I perceive a great need for enterprises offering on-line educational services to public school districts. The immediate market is for rural districts being able to provide specialized classes that previously they could not afford to offer. Eventually, they may decide that it’s both most cost effective and most able to improve the quality of their educational systems by providing free public education entirely on-line for everything beyond the 3d grade. The practice may than continue to spread and be adopted by many more suburban and city school districts.

USA’s educational and training systems are inferior to those of some other countries that produce better outcomes at lesser cost. This fall 0f 2020, if many of our nation’s public-school districts choose to homeschool using the internet rather than reopening their school buildings, it may substantially change education and training this year and for many more years in our future.

It could evolve to be a great forward leap, or (if the goal is only to reduce government’s costs), it may be further detrimental to the quality of USA’s, educational and training systems. But similar to other industries, the educational industry of the future will be more automated.

Respectfully, Supposn

JO

JO

Jo

Jo

I've flown on a lot of airplanes over the years, and close family members have as well. That means I am qualified to be an airline pilot, right?

If you spent most of your time in the cockpit..... Yes... Possibly.

Jo

JO

JO

Jo

Jo

Jo
Think for a minute.....
You're a dedicated teacher. You could teach a class of hundreds instead of a few dozen......

Kahn Academy.....

Jo

My son is dealing with online classes here in Indiana.
I have bachelor of science degrees from an accredited university in mathematics and computer science. There is a great deal of useful information available on the internet.

Kids need to be allowed to take the initiative, seize the opportunity, learn on their own, and apply what they learn to their own projects.

I wouldn't go into debt or pay tuition or count on any degrees or certificates earned or allegedly earned online.

Information online is unverified: it needs to be tested and proven in real life outside an academic context.

At the age of 18 or so, a human being needs to start being paid for his or her work, and not owe money for doing schoolwork.

My son is dealing with online classes here in Indiana.
I have bachelor of science degrees from an accredited university in mathematics and computer science. There is a great deal of useful information available on the internet.

Kids need to be allowed to take the initiative, seize the opportunity, learn on their own, and apply what they learn to their own projects.

I wouldn't go into debt or pay tuition or count on any degrees or certificates earned or allegedly earned online.

Information online is unverified: it needs to be tested and proven in real life outside an academic context.

At the age of 18 or so, a human being needs to start being paid for his or her work, and not owe money for doing schoolwork.
I have dealt with dozens of BS level trainees who enter my department with fancy letters from places like Northeastern and BU and shit for skills. Had one from MIT a few years ago who was only Marginally better
but was also much deeper in debt.

Jo

JO

JO

Jo

Jo

Jo

...wow. :rolleyes:

JO

JO

Jo

Jo
I aught for 21 years. There can be no comparisons of out experiences because you believe lies.

JO

JO

Jo

Jo

Jo

...wow. :rolleyes:
Not a chance, dumbass!

My son is dealing with online classes here in Indiana. Personally I think it makes a lot of sense. The two big knocks are younger students not getting routine and lessons they need in a school environment, and the lack of social contact that makes many home schooled kids awkward. Also, it would be a death blow to sports. My opinion is to have kids go to school through seventh grade, and then for the older kids, make it online. As for sports, I dearly love them, but I don't see why it is federally funded under 'education.' Sports options should be dealt with on a county or city basis. You don't need athletics to learn teamwork and effort. That is a ridiculous excuse for the funding of sports. Keep in mind, my dad was a teacher, and I played football, wrestled and was a swimmer, and I loved them all. I think online teaching for older kids could offer tremendous opportunities. I have found teacher quality declining at a steady rate, mostly because they do not get payed much and education changes every time the wind blows. How much do you think the department of education would fight this?
DustyInfinity, USA’s educational and training systems are inferior to those of some other countries that produce better outcomes at lesser cost. This fall 0f 2020, if many of our nation’s public-school districts choose to homeschool using the internet rather than reopening their school buildings, it may substantially change education and training this year and for many more years in our future.

I perceive a great need for enterprises offering on-line educational services to public school districts. The immediate market is for rural districts being able to provide specialized classes that previously they could not afford to offer. Eventually, they may decide that it’s both most cost effective and most able to improve the quality of their educational systems by providing free public education entirely on-line for everything beyond the 3d grade. The practice may than continue to spread and be adopted by many more suburban and city school districts.

USA’s educational and training systems are inferior to those of some other countries that produce better outcomes at lesser cost. This fall 0f 2020, if many of our nation’s public-school districts choose to homeschool using the internet rather than reopening their school buildings, it may substantially change education and training this year and for many more years in our future.

It could evolve to be a great forward leap, or (if the goal is only to reduce government’s costs), it may be further detrimental to the quality of USA’s, educational and training systems. But similar to other industries, the educational industry of the future will be more automated.

Respectfully, Supposn
You are full of shit, also.

JO

JO

Jo

Jo

Jo
Think for a minute.....
You're a dedicated teacher. You could teach a class of hundreds instead of a few dozen......

Kahn Academy.....

Jo

That's not how is works.

JO

JO

Jo

Jo
I aught for 21 years. There can be no comparisons of out experiences because you believe lies.

What lies? There is no comparison between what a sixth grade student was expected to do with Geometry and Trig 30 years ago and what is expected of them now. This is not a lie, it is the very real and horrifying deterioration of standard expectation. I commend you for your 21 years of sacrifice and hard work....I do not pretend that I would be capable of it.... However the reality is what it is.

Jo

JO

JO

Jo

Jo

What lies? There is no comparison between what a sixth grade student was expected to do with Geometry and Trig 30 years ago and what is expected of them now. This is not a lie, it is the very real and horrifying deterioration of standard expectation. I commend you for your 21 years of sacrifice and hard work....I do not pretend that I would be capable of it.... However the reality is what it is.

Jo
They did not teach trigonometry in 6th grade EVER! That is just another dumbass statement.

Results don't lie.

Jo
He’s saying it isn’t his fault. It’s the parents and kids fault entirely. Not his fault if they don’t learn from the piss poor way he teaches.

You are correct. Results don’t lie. I suppose he will say his students are the exception to the rule? I doubt that.

Ive heard him brag about a kid who did well in wrestling. Bfd. Help that kid get into college. And what about the other 30 plus kids in the room?

Forum List

Back