Your next big trip is....

Saigon

Gold Member
May 4, 2012
Helsinki, Finland
...hopefully coming up this summer. Where are you headed to?

I'm going to the Chernobyl nuclear plant in the Ukraine in June, then Croatia for the party when Croatia joins the EU on July 01.

Then it's off to Africa, this year to Senegal, The Gambia and Guinea Bissau. I'm doing a bird-watching trip up the Gambia River, but don't have specific plans for Senegal yet - but hopefully enjoy some great music, food and beach life.

Have I mentioned how much I now hate you, Saigon?

Bon Voyage

:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Have I mentioned how much I now hate you, Saigon?

I always tell my wife that I need to have great summer trips, because the rest of the yeat I have to live in Finland!!

Plus you get socialized medicine, too?:eek:

Okay, now I really hate you and that reasonably sane government you rode in on.

Early June, Delilah and I will spend a week in Paris where I'm attending a conference, then I fly to Lisbon where I have a 6 hour layover before departing for Madrid to spend another week without Delilah because, "there are too many spaniards in Spain, and everyone speaks spanish."

Anyway, I need ideas: What to do in Lisbon for a couple of hours that will make going through customs (leaving the airport) worthwhile?

BTW: last week I was in Calgary with a horrendous bug attacking me....could not swallow, pink eye, spontaneously bleeding from the nose.....a real plague.

Anyway one morning I went into a Canadian Walk-In Clinic: $100 (CAN) and 1 hour later was taking a perscription that had me drinking Old Fashions at Earl's Restaurant well into the evening.

I'm going to the Chernobyl nuclear plant in the Ukraine in June, then Croatia for the party when Croatia joins the EU on July 01.

Then it's off to Africa, this year to Senegal, The Gambia and Guinea Bissau. I'm doing a bird-watching trip up the Gambia River, but don't have specific plans for Senegal yet - but hopefully enjoy some great music, food and beach life.
Did you win the lottery or something?? .. :cool:

Did you win the lottery or something?? .. :cool:

Much of my journalism work is travel writing, so each summer I usually spend two months travelling and produce mabe six stories to sell. So the travel generally pays for itself.

Early June, Delilah and I will spend a week in Paris where I'm attending a conference, then I fly to Lisbon where I have a 6 hour layover before departing for Madrid to spend another week without Delilah because, "there are too many spaniards in Spain, and everyone speaks spanish."

Anyway, I need ideas: What to do in Lisbon for a couple of hours that will make going through customs (leaving the airport) worthwhile?

I haven't been to Lisbon for years, but I remember the central city as being charming and fascinating. Some lovely old areas with cobbled streets. But 6 hours is tight!

You probably know all the Paris sights, but I recommend the catacombs under the city. They contain literally millions of skeletons. It's dark, damp and a little spooky! The entrance is in the south of the city, around Montparnasse.

Heading to key west for relaxation and 2 job interviews. If one of them looks good I may be on vacation for the rest of my life

Really?

Who are you interviewing with? What are their phone numbers?

:tongue:

Lol if I told you then people on this forum would be able to find me really easily. And I've said some crazy things here so it could be used against me :razz:

But I decided a long time ago that it's not fair that some people get to live in a tropical paradise and I don't. So that's what I'm gonna do!

I've been to Dakar, Senegal before. If I was going to give the world an enema, that's where I'd stick the tube.

But I decided a long time ago that it's not fair that some people get to live in a tropical paradise and I don't. So that's what I'm gonna do!

You mean you don't want to live in Finland?! I'm insulted!

Lol sorry man. But this is what I want from life:

hammockbeach.jpg

I've been to Dakar, Senegal before. If I was going to give the world an enema, that's where I'd stick the tube.

Really?

I'm surprised - so far I've only heard good things about it. Most African cities can be noisy, dirty and full of street kids, but there is also so much colour, life and music that I usually quite like them. On the other hand, some can just be ugly!

What didn't you like about Dakar?

One request, since I am housebound.....

TAKE PICS AND SHARE THEM HERE!!

Please?

Really?

I'm surprised - so far I've only heard good things about it. Most African cities can be noisy, dirty and full of street kids, but there is also so much colour, life and music that I usually quite like them. On the other hand, some can just be ugly!

What didn't you like about Dakar?

I pulled into Dakar while in the Navy stationed aboard a FF. It was in the early 80's. The streets were filthy, the people were filthy, there were armed soldiers carrying machine guns walking the streets, the beaches were so full of garbage laying in the sand that nobody in their right mind would spend much time there. There was a very bad odor about the place. We went into a couple of bars and never ordered a drink. We turned around and walked right out. Just a really bad scene. Stuck our heads into a couple of small cafe type places. Wouldn't order anything to eat because it was so bad. The streets were full of beggers. I don't know why but I've never seen so many amputees in one place in my life and I've traveled a good part of the world. Came back to the ship and found out that none of the other sailors would even leave the ship. After being there for a couple of days there was a cookout at the American Ambassador's house. We all went over to his place and had some fun swimming in his pool and helping him drink his beer. I bought only one thing while I was in Dakar and it was a hand carved elephant that I watched some guy sitting on the pier carve out of what I believe is ebony wood. I still have it to this day. I spent a grand total of maybe $6.00 in Dakar, Senegal. Out of everywhere I have ever been to while in the Navy Dakar was the absolute worst.

Much of my journalism work is travel writing, so each summer I usually spend two months travelling and produce mabe six stories to sell. So the travel generally pays for itself.

Who do you write for? If you don't mind me asking...

I'm freelance, so I write for whoever has money!!

I have a half-dozen magazines I write for quite often, so I can usually sell stories somewhere or another.

Forum List

Back