Your favorite Tom Cruise movies.

They did meet on the set of Days of Thunder.
1600798137609.png

Ugh.... started out with strong promise to be one of the greats.
But his monumental ego got in the way and all he wanted to do was rerun "super man" roles.

90% of ALL Tom Cruise films can be accurately described with the following pattern:
1) Smart alack cracker jack, best of the best at [enter what he does for a living] blow everyone's mind with his skill and confidence.
2) Enter female who plays hard to get, super hot chick no one has a chance with... but Tom's good looks and hot shot skills impresses her and has super hot sex on the first date, and falls madly in love with him.
3) Enter some kind of problem that no one can fix...and they need superman Tom to use his superior skills to accomplish.
4) Tom doesn't want to because he is acting like a baby
5) But Tom comes around and easily solves the huge problem brilliantly and the movie ends.
To remain a viable A lister, actors need to stay relevant and make money in films. So the superman style movies that Cruise does...has some success so he could make other movies if he chooses. Actors make a few movies in a row that flop and they could drop off the radar.
Haha... that is not what Tom Ego did.... nearly ALL of his films fit the same pattern I listed. There might be only 2 or 3 at most that don't.
Take Born on the 4th of July... magnificent job. That movie alone showed he has what it takes to be in the elite few... but he isn't even close. All due to only wanting to do films where he could play the big hero that gets the girl. Most are terrible movies. Entertaining maybe...but forgotten in a single generation. Less really
There are several actors that play the same character in every movie a few examples out of many...

Kevin Costner
Robert Downey Jr
Tessa Thompson
I agree, but at least the movies themselves are different.
Take Clint Eastwood... across his entire career, almost every movie was the same guy really. Same guy but in completely different stories. Who would say that Bridges of Madison County and Gran Torino are the same story? Or that either of those are like Mule?
My point, is that Tom Cruise is the same guy... same plot... same beginning/middle/end... it is the same damn story with only topographical changes. One he is a hot shot jet pilot [enter movie pattern] the next a hot shot nascar driver [enter movie pattern] the next hot shot detective.... enter movie pattern.
He is capable of great films... like I say Born on the 4th July... Collateral was actually quite good.
All I am saying he is capable of greatness... but is instead ridiculed and considered a joke for both his ridiculous ego off stage and the pattern movies.
What is greatness? Most actors probably are not great in the range they act on. But they do not have to be bad in what they do. Then it comes down to how good the movie is. Eastwood is going to take the race from the start to the finish line as an A lister. In front and behind the camera. Cruise played that role in Tropic Thunder. That was good.

Yeah, he's a scientology nut and everything, but I think he's a pretty good actor and film producer. Thomas Cruise Mapother IV...

He's been in close to 50 films, starring in most of them. I've liked him since The Outsiders and Risky Business, then Top Gun was his leap into superstardom .But haven't seen many of his recent ones, to be honest. So my top 7 are fairly old school ;
Rainman
The Color of Money
A Few Good Men
Knight and Day
The Firm
Mission Impossible
Cocktail

war of the worlds.

What is greatness? Most actors probably are not great in the range they act on. But they do not have to be bad in what they do. Then it comes down to how good the movie is. Eastwood is going to take the race from the start to the finish line as an A lister. In front and behind the camera. Cruise played that role in Tropic Thunder. That was good.
So in your opinion, Clint Eastwood is a better actor than Tom Cruise ?
That's an opinion alright.

In the very beginning in his early films like
So in your opinion, Clint Eastwood is a better actor than Tom Cruise ?
That's an opinion alright.
cruise was not that good an actor when he got to Hollywood.because of that I am thinking g he has special connections with producers out there,has long friendships with them.his first early films risky business,all the right moves,losing it,and top gun,there was nothing impressive about his acting.his later years he got much better.he obviously learned from Dustin Hoffman,Paul Newman,william Defoe,jack nicholson and other skilled actors being around them.my favorite of his is born on the Fourth of July,his best acting performance ever,next one the firm,have not seen many of his films sense he was a highly overrated actor his early years.

That is why I have seen very few of Tom cruises films over the years the fact he is into that Scientology crap as well as I always thought he was a highly overrated actor in his early days.

Yeah, he's a scientology nut and everything, but I think he's a pretty good actor and film producer. Thomas Cruise Mapother IV...

He's been in close to 50 films, starring in most of them. I've liked him since The Outsiders and Risky Business, then Top Gun was his leap into superstardom .But haven't seen many of his recent ones, to be honest. So my top 7 are fairly old school ;
Rainman
The Color of Money
A Few Good Men
Knight and Day
The Firm
Mission Impossible
Cocktail

By far the one where he is a pool shark

Rainman
The Color of Money
A Few Good Men
Knight and Day
The Firm
Mission Impossible
Cocktail

By far the one where he is a pool shark

The Color of Money

I realized right now that Tom Cruise's name is very similar to the band name Motley Crue. Coincidence? Well planned word game? Why didn't I notice this many years ago?

Of the 50 movies Tom Cruise has been a part of, I've seen about 20 and my top 5 of the ones he starred in are

Edge of Tomorrow
Legend
Oblivion
Made in America
Mission: Impossible series

Top gun and tropic thunder.

Other than those I don't care for him. He has no real charm or personality and sadly almost always just plays himself which is not a good thing.

A lot of actors have natural ability where they just play themselves all the time but do a really good job like gene hackman or Michael Caine. Other actors have a great ability to become someone else like Gary oldman. Cruise is neither of those things.

Now he is pretty much only popular for being the world's most favorite stunt man as all his movies focus on a stunt he does. Even the advertising does it.

Top gun Maverick wasn't bad, but that's just because it wasn't full of woke shit in it and the action was more like old school action before it was all bland cgi.

Forum List

Back