Your favorite microbrew find

For real.. Boulevard beers are fucking great.

and, boycott Inbevweiser. For real.

no way, dude. Microbrews were the ORIGINAL method of crafting beer.

Not saying that basically every beer is a 'microbrew' when it is a company starting out...

But what microbrews are now are far from what it was when Rolling Rock or Coors started out...

It's now about the weirdness... hey, I know, let's add Kiwi Fruit to a beer, some Yuppie will drink it! :rolleyes: ... or if people like it hoppy, let's triple the hops til the average pallet can't stand it but they drink it for being different or shock value.. or let's make "Hempin' Ale" just because we can...

I've been to some brew pubs and things like that.. and I found a couple of the beers tolerable, but a vast majority horrible, and I think one that I actually thought was of pretty good quality (but not anything worth the $90 for a 1/4 keg to take home).... there are thousands of microbrews out there now.. I can go to the liquor store and probably see 2 new ones a month, with the 2 from the previous month that have disappeared from the shelves....

Basically I am sick of the microbrew kick.. and I don't prefer them one bit

Have any of you been to Total Wine? They have a wide variety of different microbrews and foreign beers that you can buy individually. I love that place.

One of my personal favorites is Polygamy Porter, brewed by Squatter's Pub in Salt Lake. An excellent porter, with nice coffee flavors in the aftertaste.

Has anyone here tried brewing their own beer? I have with pretty good results.

Yep I brew my own. Average ABV is in the 9.8-11.5 range. I mostly brew a German Weizenbier or a Canadian Ale. On page one of this thread I mentioned my favorite brewery and my Mr. Beer. I know that folks won't blieve it, but Mr. Beer is a really good kit for small batches. For larger batches you need to get the cooking set out and the stainless steel pots. Warning for those thinking about homebrew, DON'T USE ALUMINUM.

Not saying that basically every beer is a 'microbrew' when it is a company starting out...

But what microbrews are now are far from what it was when Rolling Rock or Coors started out...

It's now about the weirdness... hey, I know, let's add Kiwi Fruit to a beer, some Yuppie will drink it! :rolleyes: ... or if people like it hoppy, let's triple the hops til the average pallet can't stand it but they drink it for being different or shock value.. or let's make "Hempin' Ale" just because we can... I hear you. Beer is not wine. And a couple of local bars here need to learn it. But, I like the idea that you can custom fit a receipie to someones tastes. I know a hophead or two that cannot drink anything but the doubled up variety. To each his own.

I've been to some brew pubs and things like that.. and I found a couple of the beers tolerable, but a vast majority horrible, and I think one that I actually thought was of pretty good quality (but not anything worth the $90 for a 1/4 keg to take home).... there are thousands of microbrews out there now.. I can go to the liquor store and probably see 2 new ones a month, with the 2 from the previous month that have disappeared from the shelves....

Basically I am sick of the microbrew kick.. and I don't prefer them one bit

I get it. But, I guess our tastes must be different. I look for brewpubs that actually live up to the name and brew thier own on site. In order to stay in business a lot of the wine style beers simply don't last except as a one-time run. If you are ever in central texas go to the place I linked to on page one of the thread. There is a heavy German influence in the color and taste of the beer they brew.

I finally tried the new Bud "American Ale". Ho Hum. For a Mass Produced Beer that has been fully cooked I still prefer MGD. It's like the McDonalds of domestic beer. Not a bad taste, Comfortable, Stable, and the same no matter where you go.

oh damn I hate Miller products. But, I hate Inbevweiser products even more.

Columbia has a place called the Flatbranch that brews it's own beer. Pretty good stuff, actually. However, they have a chille beer that is just god awful. There was a mass produced bottle out not too long ago of some other chille beer. horrible.

If you are into ordering beers online check out

Ofallon Brewery | Ofallon Gold Beer | Micro Brewery | O fallon, Missouri

their pumpkin beer and smoked porter are quite tasty.

Welcome to the O'Fallon Brewery! Our is a small manufacturing brewery located in St. Charles County, just north and west of St. Louis, Missouri. Founded in January, 2000 by Fran and Tony Caradonna, the O'Fallon Brewery currently employ ten full-time and four part-time people. In 2006 we brewed around 2600 barrels of beer...equivalent to about 35,000 cases. Our 15-barrel brewhouse produces small batches of beer that take about two weeks from brew-day to packaging-day and makes around 200 cases or 30 kegs. We hand-fill our 50 liter and 1/6 bbl kegs and hand-pack each case of 12 ounce bottles in four 6-packs. We brew four "everyday" beers, O'Fallon Gold, O'Fallon Wheat, O'Fallon 5-DAY IPA and O'Fallon Smoked Porter. For fun we do a seasonal beer for each of the four major seasons: O'Fallon Cherry Chocolate for winter, O'Fallon Blackberry Scottish for Spring, O'Fallon Wheach (peach-wheat) for summer, and O'Fallon Pumpkin Beer for the fall.

O’Fallon Unfiltered Wheat took the Bronze Medal in 2005 and O’Fallon Smoked Porter won a Gold Medal in 2004 at the Great American Beer Festival®! For more information please see "Try our Beer." We sell our beer to retailers in Missouri and distributors in Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan and Wisconsin. Please visit "Buy our Beer!" to learn where you can find our

I was in New Hampshire/Vermont over the weekend and had a locally brewed beer called Switchback. It was very good and highly recommend anyone in the area to try it.

I usually buy micro brew ales. I rarely buy the fruit beers, though Belgian Lambics are fantastic. The comparisons are not even close to the mass produced beer. The quality is so much better. Its like saying you don't like a filet from Ruth's Chris or Morton's and would rather have a Big Mac or a Whopper. Yes, they are both beef but they don't compare.

Yep I brew my own. Average ABV is in the 9.8-11.5 range. I mostly brew a German Weizenbier or a Canadian Ale. On page one of this thread I mentioned my favorite brewery and my Mr. Beer. I know that folks won't blieve it, but Mr. Beer is a really good kit for small batches. For larger batches you need to get the cooking set out and the stainless steel pots. Warning for those thinking about homebrew, DON'T USE ALUMINUM.

Is Mr. Beer really that good? Have you tried their Ultimate Beer Kit? :cool:

Last edited:

I've used Mr. Beer and it is good for those who don't want to get too much into the intricate details of the brewing process. You can still brew some great beers with it but the variety will be limited to the beer mixes available (and there is a good selection of them).

I've used Mr. Beer and it is good for those who don't want to get too much into the intricate details of the brewing process. You can still brew some great beers with it but the variety will be limited to the beer mixes available (and there is a good selection of them).

thanks, dude! So I guess it's just safe to use especially for those who are new in brewing, right? :eek:

thanks, dude! So I guess it's just safe to use especially for those who are new in brewing, right? :eek:

Yes, it's a great starter kit. If you catch the brewing bug, then you can advance to the more complicated equipment.

Just remember - don't add too much sugar during the carbonation phase or the plastic bottles will explode and you'll have a real mess.

Yes, it's a great starter kit. If you catch the brewing bug, then you can advance to the more complicated equipment.

Just remember - don't add too much sugar during the carbonation phase or the plastic bottles will explode and you'll have a real mess.

whoa! good thing you told me that! i don't wanna get discouraged by having this kind of mess. :cuckoo:

thanks for the tips! :clap2:

My father, his best friend, and I used to be serious home brewers. About 500 gallons per month. We have some recipes that were freaking awesome. Unfortunately Dad died, his friend has health problems, and it simply isn't a going concern anymore. All of the equipment was sold by Dad's friend late last year.

WOW!

I couldnt imagine pumping out 500 gallons a month. I have trouble with 15.

Any advice to impart upon my novice beer brewing ass?

I'm a huge fan of Lienenkugels.

Rogue isnt too bad either, along with Fat Tire.

When I go get my brewing supplies I usually pick a beer thats unknown to me at random, with mixed results.

Out of pure curiousity, I once bought a bottle of a 16% ABV brew. It damn near like drinking friggin whiskey. I struggled to get through the bottle. I wish I remembered the name.

currently, this one:
world-wide-stout.png

the best ever, dilworth porter. but the brewer was a terrible business man and let go of the small brew pub to operate a large one - which soon crashed and burned

My father, his best friend, and I used to be serious home brewers. About 500 gallons per month. We have some recipes that were freaking awesome. Unfortunately Dad died, his friend has health problems, and it simply isn't a going concern anymore. All of the equipment was sold by Dad's friend late last year.

WOW!

I couldnt imagine pumping out 500 gallons a month. I have trouble with 15.

Any advice to impart upon my novice beer brewing ass?

I'm a huge fan of Lienenkugels.

Rogue isnt too bad either, along with Fat Tire.

When I go get my brewing supplies I usually pick a beer thats unknown to me at random, with mixed results.

Out of pure curiousity, I once bought a bottle of a 16% ABV brew. It damn near like drinking friggin whiskey. I struggled to get through the bottle. I wish I remembered the name.

Isn't there a legal limit on the amount that an individual can brew in a year?

Here in Houston there is a pretty good Microbrewery called Saint Arnold. They're the largest craft brewery in Texas.

They have tours every saturday, where you pay $5 and get to drink fresh, locally-brewed beer. It's become quite a culture, with the same group of people showing up pretty much every weekend.

We here in north Florida have a poor selection of microbreweries but I have found a good one - SweetWater in Atlanta. When you think of Georgia, "beer" usually isn't the first thing that comes to mind. But I must say, I am fairly impressed by their products.

420.jpg

Forum List

Back