Underwater Find

Jun 22, 2014
Underwater Find

by Bruce Stark 2022

I had a friend since about 1976 named Randy. He had a heart of gold but he also had a rough manner about him that he probably picked up while he was in the Army. He ended up as a hotel manager in Lake Tahoe, California. He had a way of dealing with drunks and problem people that were guests at the hotel. He would tell stories about how he dealt with drunk Marines. The hotel manager loved his ways and regularly complimented him for settling disputes.

Randy told me a story in hushed tones that was so unusual that I was sworn to secrecy by Randy who unfortunately passed a few years ago.

It seems that Jacque Cousteau had made camp at Randy's hotel along with his crew and a camera crew. They had a deep sea diving device that they were going to use to explore the lake. They kept to themselves in the dining and bar area and Randy was asked to guarantee that they were not disturbed.

The Cousteau crew had been at the hotel for a couple of weeks before something happened. The crew stayed in their rooms for several days in a row and later started sitting in the restaurant like they had before. Now the conversations were very quiet and they asked that only Randy serve them their orders.

Randy picked up bits and pieces of their conversations and he started putting the story together. Later, when Randy was pretty sure about what had happened, he asked one of the crew about his take on the story. The crew member, who may have had a few drinks in him, was said to have tearfully confirmed the story that Randy told.

The following is the story Randy told:

The Cousteau crew had permission to launch their deep-sea diving device into the lake and to explore all areas of the lake including some places that had previously been off-limits. At one point they came upon the body of an Indian who was dressed in full ceremonial attire. It was held to the bottom of the lake with a rope that had a weight tied to the bottom of it. The body just floated upright in the water deep in the lake. The crew could see that this was a ceremonial burial that apparently was used by the local Indians. They dove a little deeper when they came into a very large group of these body's ,all dressed in beautiful wardrobe. The crew didn't count the body's as they said it was like being a marching band of dead people.

The Cousteau crew were shaken and just wanted to get the hell out of there. There were reports of crew members having bad dreams and several of them said they would never dive in the lake again.

The Cousteau crew only stayed in the hotel a few more days. They packed up everything an left Tahoe.

Randy said that the Cousteau crew believed that if the word got out about this Indian burial ground, it might get looted. This area was said to have been over 100 feet deep. I don't believe that many can dive that deep without an underwater sub like the Cousteau crew had. There were no reports of any treasure to be plundered there.

Seems implausible to me.

If true, then surely those bodies had been there fore at least a few hundred years, if not longer. Nearly everything ought to have decayed away, by this time—the bodies, the clothing, the ropes, everything. I find it very difficult to believe that such a scene could, by this time, be as well preserved as what is described.

Not for nothing, but bodies decompose after death. Granted, in cold water at deep depths, the decomposition will be greatly slowed, but you'd think that after 50 or 75 years, there would be not much left other than bones.

Underwater Find

by Bruce Stark 2022

I had a friend since about 1976 named Randy. He had a heart of gold but he also had a rough manner about him that he probably picked up while he was in the Army. He ended up as a hotel manager in Lake Tahoe, California. He had a way of dealing with drunks and problem people that were guests at the hotel. He would tell stories about how he dealt with drunk Marines. The hotel manager loved his ways and regularly complimented him for settling disputes.

Randy told me a story in hushed tones that was so unusual that I was sworn to secrecy by Randy who unfortunately passed a few years ago.

It seems that Jacque Cousteau had made camp at Randy's hotel along with his crew and a camera crew. They had a deep sea diving device that they were going to use to explore the lake. They kept to themselves in the dining and bar area and Randy was asked to guarantee that they were not disturbed.

The Cousteau crew had been at the hotel for a couple of weeks before something happened. The crew stayed in their rooms for several days in a row and later started sitting in the restaurant like they had before. Now the conversations were very quiet and they asked that only Randy serve them their orders.

Randy picked up bits and pieces of their conversations and he started putting the story together. Later, when Randy was pretty sure about what had happened, he asked one of the crew about his take on the story. The crew member, who may have had a few drinks in him, was said to have tearfully confirmed the story that Randy told.

The Cousteau crew had permission to launch their deep-sea diving device into the lake and to explore all areas of the lake including some places that had previously been off-limits. At one point they came upon the body of an Indian who was dressed in full ceremonial attire. It was held to the bottom of the lake with a rope that had a weight tied to the bottom of it. The body just floated upright in the water deep in the lake. The crew could see that this was a ceremonial burial that apparently was used by the local Indians. They dove a little deeper when they came into a very large group of these body's ,all dressed in beautiful wardrobe. The crew didn't count the body's as they said it was like being a marching band of dead people.

The Cousteau crew were shaken and just wanted to get the hell out of there. There were reports of crew members having bad dreams and several of them said they would never dive in the lake again.

The Cousteau crew only stayed in the hotel a few more days. They packed up everything an left Tahoe.

Randy said that the Cousteau crew believed that if the word got out about this Indian burial ground, it might get looted. This area was said to have been over 100 feet deep. I don't believe that many can dive that deep without an underwater sub like the Cousteau crew had. There were no reports of any treasure to be plundered there.
Diving to 100' in Lake Tahoe is well within recommended recreational diver depths as it translates to about 110 to 120' at sea level. Lake Tahoe surface elevation is 6240'. Altitude Diving - Scuba Diving With An Attitude - DeeperBlue.com

Nearly everything ought to have decayed away
Lake Tahoe is a bit of a special case. The water is STILL very clear in spite of the development. The oxygen levels and temps at 100' are VERY low. Deterioration under these circumstances happens at an extremely slow rate. It is very possible that these items would be in pristine condition.

Underwater Find

by Bruce Stark 2022

Of ALL the burial sites that you would worry about, wouldnt Indians be in dead last? They werent particularly formidable in life, so what makes their ghosts any more dangerous? If ghosts exist, indian ghost are surely among the weakest. :dunno:

OIP.VXX5qgfIpoNd2-3LFwtnqAHaFc

Of ALL the burial sites that you would worry about, wouldnt Indians be in dead last? They werent particularly formidable in life, so what makes their ghosts any more dangerous? If ghosts exist, indian ghost are surely among the weakest. :dunno:

Your Troll-Fu is weak at best, and it's also readily apparent that you know nothing about Native Americans.

I have actually spent time around indians. Have YOU?
I am an indian...are you...anyhow I have a related story to tell. As a young boy and then man I often went to old indian campsites and picked up arrowheads and other artifacts. I did this a lot and soon had a pretty large collection of things. At some point I really started to feel some kind of connection with these ancients. Then things got weird. I began having these dreams that I would be out hunting artifacts with some close friend or relative. We would suddenly come upon the mother load of beautiful artifiacts. there would be so many that my pockets would be over filled to the point I didnt know what to do with them all, and same would be true of my companion. Then I would wake up shaking all over like I had just had the worse nightmare of my life although there werent anything scary in the dream. The bizarre thing tho is the fact that shortly after I would have this dream someone in the family of my companion would die. This happened so many times I stopped my hobby forever and the dreams stopped. One of my best friends was in the dream with me and I told him about it. Naturally he blew it off but shortly after both of his brothers passed away. this story is totally true and now I do believe in native american mysticism as I have experienced. and I have given most of the artifacts away, many to my doctor

Actually, yeah...................grew up in western Montana. Some of the best athletes I knew came from schools on the reservation, as well as some of my friends.
Well the indians on the Colville Reservation in Washington fucking suck and they are racists and thieves.

Forum List

Back