You didnt build that!

Yet the other side had to make out like she said she could see Russia from her backyard. Why couldn't they use the original words? Why did they have to alter the meaning to something even more inane? Are they really too stupid to mock her for something so blatant?

If you ask a lot of Democrats and liberals they believe she actually said the altered remarks. With President Obama, the Republicans are using his actual words. But apparently the nuance is too much for some.

You do know the "other side" your talking about, was a comedy show, right?

That's the originiation but please do not pretend like it was not run with by every partisan that has the ability to communicate in any format whatsoever. Do you still want to play that somehow the two are comparable or have you given up on that?

Did you not read the OP? Of course I'm not suggesting the left didn't pick up and run with it. Although I don't think the Obama campaign used it.

I'm saying youre blaming, with a broad brush "the left" for what was originally, a comedy sketch.

I don't think anyone ever questioned the veracity of her statement that you can see parts of Russia from parts of Alaska (or cared enough to try and question it).

The point was always that it was a pathetic foreign policy credential. And embarrassing that she offered it up on national television.

You have to wait until the video of Palin speaking goes all the way down the memory hole before you can pretend it never happened and call references to her dumb remarks a lie.

, she never used that for her foreign policy experience, and she was a governor so she had way more Foreign policy experience than a JUNIOR SENATOR of less than two years. but that didn't stop you from voting for him. So everything you said was a lie

I think everyone knows Obama didn't say, you didn't build your business. It's been debunked, put in context etc etc.

However it looks to me more and more that like Palin, he's going to be strapped with it, and that it will get said enough that some people will really believe he said it.

Do you like kicking yourself in the ass?

Psh, I wish I was that flexible.

You do know the "other side" your talking about, was a comedy show, right?

That's the originiation but please do not pretend like it was not run with by every partisan that has the ability to communicate in any format whatsoever. Do you still want to play that somehow the two are comparable or have you given up on that?

Did you not read the OP? Of course I'm not suggesting the left didn't pick up and run with it. Although I don't think the Obama campaign used it.

I'm saying youre blaming, with a broad brush "the left" for what was originally, a comedy sketch.

And your point is what? We all know it was originally a comedy sketch. And the left did run with it as you have admitted. So I am blaming them for doing...what they did. Nice of you to make that point.

So i saw a Romney/Ryan ad that said "You did build that business!" ... It got me wondering...Is the "you didn't build that" slogan, Obamas "I can see Russia from my backyard" ?

Yes, in the sense neither Obama nor Palin said their respective lines, and both lines were contrivances by the political opposition.

Unlike Palin, however, Obama can cite Supreme Court cases he’d disagreed with, and books and newspapers he’s read.

I think the bigger question is why was he attacking business in the first place.
That whole tirade was meant to mock and belittle people who start a business.

He was acting like he needed to put business owners in their place.

Am I the only one who feels this way...
I don't think so...

And I hope to God it bites him in the ass come November.

So i saw a Romney/Ryan ad that said "You did build that business!" ... It got me wondering...Is the "you didn't build that" slogan, Obamas "I can see Russia from my backyard" ?

Yes, in the sense neither Obama nor Palin said their respective lines, and both lines were contrivances by the political opposition.

Unlike Palin, however, Obama can cite Supreme Court cases he’d disagreed with, and books and newspapers he’s read.

doubtful
and unlike Obama, Palin can pronounce the branches of our military

Last edited:
I think the bigger question is why was he attacking business in the first place.
That whole tirade was meant to mock and belittle people who start a business.

He was acting like he needed to put business owners in their place.

Am I the only one who feels this way...
I don't think so...

And I hope to God it bites him in the ass come November.

The whole speech was bizarre. It sounded like he was on the defensive, and felt like he had to justify something. *shrug* it was very distasteful, and his approval numbers dropped dramatically with business owners because if it, as they should have.

Are you really that stupid?

Obama DID say it.

Dumbazz dupes:

There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me -- because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t -- look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. (Applause.)

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.

Remarks by the President at a Campaign Event in Roanoke, Virginia | The White House

Palin was the VP candidate, not the actual President of the United States, and didn't actually say she can see Russia from her backyard, whereas Obama actually said that people that are intelligent and work hard didn't build their business. I guess that makes the answer to your question no.

Well what was said was taken out of context, also it was said in a very intellectual way, which is one problem I think Obama has. If you were to read the whole speech and understand the meaning, it was simple. The infrastructure that allows small business, large business and pretty much every thing else possible was built by tax revenue and things like the new deal, which we use everyday in person and professional life. I do not think this is a "Sarah palin" moment. I do wish and hope that Obama learns from it and starts talking more in lamens terms. I also hope that as a nation we can start coming together more, even on these forums.

Sorry, but the only way to conclude that Obama did not mean that people did not build their business is to ignore that he said that hard work and intelligence is not what makes people successful in the paragraphs immediately proceeding where he told those same people they didn't build that.

Problem with the "I can see Russia from my back yard" quote is that it is taken from the SNL skit and not from Palin. Tina Fey said it.

Whereas the President really did say "you didn't build that". As well it's a mirrored belief that all things come from government from Elizabeth "Fakeahontas" Warren.

One's a joke. One's quite serious.

And truly "you didn't build that" insulted small business owners across America so the "I built this" variation of the slogan is sticking and resonating.

Are you a dupe or a liar? Of course you might be both.

Do you understand context? It would help in deciding.

Since the only way to look at Obama's statement and take it to mean anything other than you did not build that business is to completely ignore the context you really do not have a point.

I think everyone knows Obama didn't say, you didn't build your business. It's been debunked, put in context etc etc.

However it looks to me more and more that like Palin, he's going to be strapped with it, and that it will get said enough that some people will really believe he said it.

The only people that believe Obama did not say that are the ones that rely on other people to do their thinking for them.

If you guys wanna include the whole thing it only makes it worse for the President.
His whole rant was meant to demean and belittle business owners.
His remark,they think they're smart,there's a lot of smart people out there.

C'mon he was sticking it to business and propping up his desire for bigger government.

I could post the speech, but I dont think it would make a bit of diffrence.

Ive listened to the speech. Do I agree with the message? No. But I don't have to pretend the message was different to disagree with him.

He clearly was talking about infrastructure, not your specific business. Again, I disagree with him, vehemently, but I can still recognize that "that" was roads and bridges, and quoting it, and cropping it, and using it is disingenuous.

You could post it?

Let me save you the trouble, I love putting his remarks in context.

There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me -- because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t -- look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. (Applause.)

What was that? Hard work and intelligence doesn't make people successful?

What does?

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.
The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.

Remarks by the President at a Campaign Event in Roanoke, Virginia | The White House

Strange, there are lots of roads and businesses out there, and every single person in this country have access to them, yet only a few people build successful businesses.

Go ahead, keep telling yourself he didn't mean what he said. I prefer to live in the real world.

"Folks, I can tell you I've known eight presidents, three of them intimately." --Joe Biden, Aug. 22, 2012

"I promise you, the president has a big stick. I promise you." --Joe Biden Yikes! TMI Joe!

That's between Obama and Reggie Love

You better damn well believe Obama is going to be strapped with this remark, WE the people are not going to let him FORGET IT

I don't believe that YouTube video has been doctored in any way.

Her response to what foreign policy insights she has on Russians is that you can see Russia from certain parts of Alaska.

She said that. And it remains ridiculous.

Yet the other side had to make out like she said she could see Russia from her backyard. Why couldn't they use the original words? Why did they have to alter the meaning to something even more inane? Are they really too stupid to mock her for something so blatant?

...that was a Saturday Night Live sketch.

And no one tried to pretend that she actually said it.

Only problem with that is Obama actually said it.

Forum List

Back