You Are What You Read

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
What were your favorite books as a child?

Earliest I remember, Horton Hatches The Egg by Dr. Seuss

Favorites from school: Little Women, The Scarlet Letter, The Scarlet Pimpernel, any of the Don Juan by Carlos Castaneda, and The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, ( I really wanted to make gold). I still like Shakespeare and Dickens.

and I loved Nancy Drew and Agatha Christie.

Yeah I liked little women, long but very wholesome. Jo was my favorite in that book.
I like some of Hemingways stuff like the old man of the sea. I could visually see those sharks at night.
The Hardy Boys were good as well.

Yeah I liked little women, long but very wholesome. Jo was my favorite in that book.
I like some of Hemingways stuff like the old man of the sea. I could visually see those sharks at night.
The Hardy Boys were good as well.

I cried so with Beth, but yeah, Jo resonated with me. I never could get into Hemingway, don't know why.

fountainhead
agony and the Ecstasy
Poland
so long and thanks for all the fish
hitchhikers guide to the universe
davinci code
hunter s Thompson
people you meet in heaven
Hemingway
Steinbeck

I cried so with Beth, but yeah, Jo resonated with me. I never could get into Hemingway, don't know why.
Hemingway was an odd ball!!! he hid behind life in a weird way IMO
I do like Dick Francis he writes about horse racing from many aspects. He was a retired jockey and he'd write and his wife would do the research. I actually learned a lot from his stories about horses. So even though they are fiction they are facts that are in the story lines.
http://wejosephson.home.mindspring.com/dfrancis.htm

fountainhead
agony and the Ecstasy
Poland
so long and thanks for all the fish
hitchhikers guide to the universe
davinci code
hunter s Thompson
people you meet in heaven
Hemingway
Steinbeck

I liked Hitchhiker's Guide back I think more like college. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainence too.

I didn't like Steinbeck as a student, I do now. Maybe should give old Ernest another go?

Not wanted on the voyage, by Tim Findlay.... amazing.
New spin on the ancient Noah's ark tale (shared by many religions I might add).

My favorite early childhood book (and the one that influence me the most) is Dr. Suess' "Horton Hatches An Egg".

"I meant what I said and I said what I meant.
An Elephant's faithful one hundred percent."

Other all time favorites from various stages of life:

- A Wrinkle in Time
- The Oz Books
- Pride and Prejudice
- Bleak House
- Atlas Shrugged
- The Secret Life of Bees

I am currently reading Vidal's "Julian", which is quite good.

My favorite early childhood book (and the one that influence me the most) is Dr. Suess' "Horton Hatches An Egg".

"I meant what I said and I said what I meant.
An Elephant's faithful one hundred percent."

Other all time favorites from various stages of life:

- A Wrinkle in Time
- The Oz Books
- Pride and Prejudice
- Bleak House
- Atlas Shrugged

- The Secret Life of Bees

I am currently reading Vidal's "Julian", which is quite good.
We have a lot of reading choices in common, especially Horton...(I remember sleeping with that book!)

I used to read the Amelia Bedelia books when I was little. After that the Little House on the Praire series.

I used to read the Amelia Bedelia books when I was little. After that the Little House on the Praire series.

I could never get into Amelia, but loved Laura! When we went to Boston, we took in the house of her father. Very cool. Close to Walden Pond.

We have a lot of reading choices in common, especially Horton...(I remember sleeping with that book!)

Me too - the cover wore off and my Mom made a new one of cardboard and a shopping bag. She still has it!

If you haven't read "Bees" (which I am assuming because you did not embolden it) - I highly recommend it. It is a beautiful book.

One of my favorite little passages:

"The first week at August's was a consolation, a pure relief. The world will give you that once in a while, a brief time-out; the boxing bell rings and you go to your corner, where somebody dabs mercy on your beat-up life."

Me too - the cover wore off and my Mom made a new one of cardboard and a shopping bag. She still has it!

If you haven't read "Bees" (which I am assuming because you did not embolden it) - I highly recommend it. It is a beautiful book.

One of my favorite little passages:

"The first week at August's was a consolation, a pure relief. The world will give you that once in a while, a brief time-out; the boxing bell rings and you go to your corner, where somebody dabs mercy on your beat-up life."

That does sound good. I'll try to find it!

I'm a bit jealous! I would love to read it again for the first time.