Yes, I'm a Conservative, But SOME Rent Control IS Necesary

If you buy, you still have escalating property taxes, increasing insurance rates, increasing repair/maintenance costs, and possibly decreasing value of your house if the neighborhood changes. But again, most low income seniors CANNOT buy houses even if they wanted to.,
And all those things are included in your rent increases. The owner kust passes them on to yoou.

Nonsense. Of course, a credit rating is relevant in housing. It represents someone's willingness to pay. How responsible a person is just as their criminal record is a reliable indicator of their honesty.

I was a REALTOR for over 50 years, here in Florida. I have never, ever heard that new construction encourages immigration. Increased construction doesn't encourage people to come to an area, it fills the demand already in that area.

Someone building 100 homes outside of Orlando is not spotted by a citizen of South America and he decides it is just for him and he's going to walk a thousand miles to walk across our border. No education, no experience, no skills. Yep, that builder had just that person in mind when he started construction on a hundred, quarter million dollar homes.

Just quit your whining and don't make the same mistake.
Building always follows demand, it doesn't create demand. When I was a phone man in Ventura CA, we had a new development go up right near a freeway on ramp. The houses were all well above local market value. I asked the builder about that, and he told me that their target market wasn't people who worked in Ventura, but those who worked in Santa Barbara thirty to forty five minutes North. The houses were much cheaper than anything available in Santa Barbara.

So let's hear from the business owners here. How do you feel about thousands of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ of what could/should/would have been your sales $$$$, going into the pockets of landlords, instead of you. Feeling warm & fuzzy with that :question::eusa_think:
So you think apartment owners should subsidize business owners. What else should be frozen? How about consumer goods prices? How about wages?

I applied for a VA home loan. I was told I would have ZERO down payment. And my CLOSING COSTS on a house of only $60,000, were $7,000 - UP FRONT. That's not including tax & insurance.

There a woman living here's whose total income is $800.mo. In January, the rent goes up to $850. Savings ? People here never heard of any such thing.
I've had three VA loans over my adult life. Closing costs have ALWAYS been rolled into the mortgage.

As you know, retail sales are soaring, as is the stock market because of the trillions of worthless paper dollars being pumped into the economy, throwing gas on the fire of inflation.

Character%20I-S.jpg
The smart thing to do RIGHT NOW is to buy a house. Inflation will reduce the value of the dollars you pay for your mortgage and inflate the value of your house. Talk to any homeowner of the Carter years when houses went from thirty grand to a hundred grand in just a few years. The people who owned made out like bandits, new buyers got screwed.

Yeah, that was when my previous apt complex got sold & new owner raised my rent from $550 to $900.

Actually I started this thread * Oct. 30, 2021 (when my current complex also got a new owner, rent going from $600 to $850.) >>>

* It's Happening Again - Homes Lost - Some Rent Control Needed
So you are upset because YOUR ox got gored. Did you consider the new owner might have a much more expensive mortgage than the old one? There are a lot of reasons a new owner might raise rent. He may even want all the old tenants to move out so he can refurbish the entire building.

And all those things are included in your rent increases. The owner kust passes them on to yoou.
HA. No, their costs haven't increased 64%. The increases are just power obtained from population increases. Massive demand, decreased supply, zero rent control, zero morals, total greed.

So you think apartment owners should subsidize business owners. What else should be frozen? How about consumer goods prices? How about wages?
Business owners are getting shafted big, as an EFFECT of lndlord greed, was the point of my post. What "apartment owners should" do is keep their rents even with what current renter are able to pay, thus not forcing those renters out of those apartments, and into streets that are devoid of anything even close to affordable housing. This is what has created on localities all over America. People in other countries look at this, and are amazed at how we can allow this.

Since apartment owners have no consideration of this, those renters need to be protected by rent control.

I've had three VA loans over my adult life. Closing costs have ALWAYS been rolled into the mortgage.
I'll take another look at it. Maybe I just had lousy realtors talking to me. If anybody has a link or a phone # to where/who I can get a VA loan and move right in, with just first month's $$, I'd sure appreciate hearing about it.

So you are upset because YOUR ox got gored. Did you consider the new owner might have a much more expensive mortgage than the old one? There are a lot of reasons a new owner might raise rent. He may even want all the old tenants to move out so he can refurbish the entire building.
Not hardly. see post # 1547.

Upgrading postal infrastructure means increasing supply for the private sector and revenue for the public sector. Economies of scale are what help control inflation. Supply side economics.

The ports are operating at capacity now. It would be hugely expensive to expand them. And the additional revenue would be years away.

And there are things that could be done that are more important. Veterans are dying of suicide at record levels. Tens of thousands have no healthcare. Our roads and bridges are crumbling. VA hospitals are not capable of caring for the men & women we made promises to.

If someone is incapable of working, then we should provide for them. That is what welfare does.

But if someone is capable of working and chooses not to, that puts them at the back of the line. And the tax payers that keep more of their money will still circulate it.

This morning, I wrote this letter to Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis >>

You won't get my vote again.

2 years ago, my apartment rent jumped from $550/mo to $900. I moved (with a lot of discomfort). Now, my rent is jumping from $600/mo to $850. So my plan to save $250/mo to buy a car is shot. The $3,000 I would have had for a down payment, will now be scooped up by my landlord.
When I called your office, your aide said >> "Talk to your landlord."
No, I'm talking to YOU, Governor. If some type of action is not taken to control housing rents (although mostly too late already), there will be TENT CITIES popping up all over Florida. This is the best thing that ever happened to a Democrat candidate for governor.
As it stands now, you won't be getting my vote again. I may be just one voice, but there's 1000's of others who are thinking the same thing, but they don't write.

This morning, I wrote this letter to Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis >>

You won't get my vote again.

2 years ago, my apartment rent jumped from $550/mo to $900. I moved (with a lot of discomfort). Now, my rent is jumping from $600/mo to $850. So my plan to save $250/mo to buy a car is shot. The $3,000 I would have had for a down payment, will now be scooped up by my landlord.
When I called your office, your aide said >> "Talk to your landlord."
No, I'm talking to YOU, Governor. If some type of action is not taken to control housing rents (although mostly too late already), there will be TENT CITIES popping up all over Florida. This is the best thing that ever happened to a Democrat candidate for governor.
As it stands now, you won't be getting my vote again. I may be just one voice, but there's 1000's of others who are thinking the same thing, but they don't write.
Do you really think that people in high level positions in government actually read the letters from constituents?

Sorry pal, but if you’re looking to the government to solve any of your problems, you are looking in the wrong place.

Forum List

Back